• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Brenda. That's brought back a nice memory of my mum. She being a Yorkshire lass used to say "put wood 'int 'ole". I grew up with this mixture of Yorkshire/Brummie so it was second nature to me, but my kids often hadn't a clue what she was talking about. After my mum's long explanation, sidetracks and illustrations of the meaning, we'd always end up in hysterics about these sayings. The kids have now fondly adopted many of her sayings. Viv.

I did the same when I was at work Brenda. I used to do the adverts for Showcase cinema the copy came from Boston Masachusettes. I wrote some phrases down for my contact there he thought they were great

Nan again, my mum wanted Nan to buy a dress once and she said, I'd look like Grandmother Grey in that! Grandad used to say a particular hat was his rattin' 'at.

Nan again, my mum wanted Nan to buy a dress once and she said, I'd look like Grandmother Grey in that! Grandad used to say a particular hat was his rattin' 'at.

When someone sneezed my Mom would say "cheap snuff" & refer to a childs teeth as "tooty pegs" You were so lucky Nico having a Nan ( Nan`s always spoil their their grandkids with goodies) I never knew my grandparents so i reckon i missed out on a load of goodies!

Not to rub it in Smudger but I had Nan & Grandad, Nan's mum and my dad's mum and my nan's aunty.Grandad's mum died just after I was born but Nan talked about her a lot. I was spoiled I suppose but Nan was also very strict so I loved it when mum as off work.I am told to stop living in the past. I was lucky enough to have Nan till my 40's. Nan said tuthy pegs, tuth not tooth. a born and bred Brummie & Nan's cousin said chimdey pot. She also sounded like she had a slight adanoid which accentuated her Brummyness. Maybe you are a grandparent Smudger?

Not to rub it in Smudger but I had Nan & Grandad, Nan's mum and my dad's mum and my nan's aunty.Grandad's mum died just after I was born but Nan talked about her a lot. I was spoiled I suppose but Nan was also very strict so I loved it when mum as off work.I am told to stop living in the past. I was lucky enough to have Nan till my 40's. Nan said tuthy pegs, tuth not tooth. a born and bred Brummie & Nan's cousin said chimdey pot. She also sounded like she had a slight adanoid which accentuated her Brummyness. Maybe you are a grandparent Smudger?

Yes Nico i am a grandparent. I have 2 grandkids who have flown the nest, one living in Hampshire & one in south Wales. It was difficult not to spoil them, though my Wife was the main "spoiler". We still spoil our son even if he is in his mid 40`s. We have just paid for his car hire for when he goes to Orlando in August even though he & his wife have decent jobs. I guess we never stop spoiling our "young un`s" do we.?

The only thing we really have when we are older are our memories, if like you Nico you have very happy ones then I hope you continue to tell us about them, my mom and dad have been gone years now, but I think of them and my dear old nan, practically every day.

We seem to have all but exhausted Brummie sayings as many are repeats of earlier posts and we also seem to be drifting into the sort of chat usually found in the Doctors waiting room.. It has therefore been agreed that this thread be closed.

If, following a thorough search of the thread, a new saying that was used primarily in Brum is found then please contact a member of Admin and it can be added to the thread.

Im sure we all have our favourites that are exclusive to Birmingham, as we discovered in the thread about bomb pecks. Ever had a massive bobowler fly in through the window? Fancy a cob for tea? Comin up town (even though its a city) meet ya in the Bull Ring.

I love the word bobowler. I live in Wales now, spreading the word, bloody big bobowlers up here. Whats your favourite Brummie word of phrase that isn't used anywhere else?

There are many on this thread. I am sure you will recognise many of them:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back