• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brum traffic images from 1960s onwards ?

Not a Brum street, nor the 1960s, but at least it's a Brum car!

(1930/31 Riley Monaco, Berlin, 1932).

Chris

Late 1930s in Victoria Square. The buses are, L to R, two Daimlers, a Morris Commercial 'Imperial' and an AEC 'Regent'. OK not 60s, but a nice period photo.

i bet he,s checking for beer bottle label,s instead of tax disc,s mike,
did they use them then or was it earlier?
regards Derek. (the photo in Perry Barr)

Know what you mean, Graham, the heaters in the BMC 1100 and 1300's were about the same. Mind you they were 100% better than those in some of the prewar cars seen below that soldiered on into the early 60's:D(most hadn't got 'emlol).
Interesting here is that traffic jams were with us even back in 1937!
Mike

Just wondering, as we haven't heard from tali who started this thread, whether he has enjoyed our postings and found any pics anywhere else to add to these.

Late 1930s in Victoria Square. The buses are, L to R, two Daimlers, a Morris Commercial 'Imperial' and an AEC 'Regent'. OK not 60s, but a nice period photo.
great photo .looks to me like there also two people on a bike of sorts .very blured bit, next to the car in middle of the photo ,smashin pic harley.

My father, who worked in the motor trade from the 1920's, said that nobody was ever complained of being cold in a car until they started putting heaters in them!

A busy scene in New Street in 1962.

Phil

Attachments

• New St 1962.jpg
    New St 1962.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 55
All of the photos in this thread were lost in a hack attack in 2011 but were copied and collected in a PDF file. To access the gallery of photos in this post click anywhere on the image below to open the PDF file which can be viewed here online or saved.

click anywhere on the above image

Last edited:
Love the photos Oldmohawk. Tried them out on iPad, still great pics but without your titles. The snowbound traffic looks so very, very familiar, and how cold were those cars and buses?! Viv.

Hi Viv,
Yes strange about the iPad must be an Apple thing. I posted them with Chrome Windows 7, they look ok in Firefox and with Linux. Using Warren's multiple image uploader made things very easy. I might try 2 columns with slightly larger photos if I do it again.
oldmohawk

Hi Oldmohawk. It's also nice to be able to swipe on iPad so you get one pic per page in full-screen. Viv.

Hi Oldmohawk

Great photos, i enjoy naming the cars. Thanks for posting them. I am not saying it is definatly is my truck on the photo but it is so strange that the photo called (heavy traffic merging) with the AA van on the right hand side, there is a truck with the letters B M on the front. I think it is a dodge truck and belonged to Brennon & Murphy which i used to drive. You never know do you.

regards Stars

Hi Stars,

I like the easy to remember number plates - my first car had 821NOH - there is a photo of it somewhere on the forum - my latest car I might have to go outside to see what's on the number plate.

oldmohawk

I found out the other day that my mobile is classed as a 'dumbphone', I haven't got round to having one of the 'new fangled smart phones' with all the mysterious Tapatalk etc. - Phil

Hi Oldmohawk

there is a truck with the letters B M on the front. I think it is a dodge truck and belonged to Brennon & Murphy which i used to drive. You never know do you.

regards Stars
I've only just seen your post, I have got the larger photo but it is not that much clearer. Even if it was not you driving on that day, at least you might have seen the truck you used to drive !
oldmohawk

Another pic of heavy traffic - Lancaster Place 1965 - I remember it well - I was driving my first car an Hillman Imp in that year.
A single policeman stands in front of the Midland Red bus looking on.
I've added this to all the other pics in the gallery in post #48
lancaster_place-l.jpg

What a great set of photo's from my past, also I had a mate who worked for "Savoy Plant Hire" in the 60's.
paul

hi there you old anorags [ sorry i mean train buffs ] ah,
i learnt today that the planners are doing away with the old rail way booking office can anybody confirm whether or not this is true ? .
will this effect the daily pazzengers whom used that net work by the hundreds
please excuse me ; i forgot to mention the name of the train station i am requesting about [ longbridge ]
whilst on he subject does anybody know whether that old peice of burial ground is still along the five ways railway lines behind the walls of the track
i beleive it was a jewish burial ground many ,many years ago and if they build the H2 railway would it have any bearing on that sacred ground ;
or even the long planned underground route what they have always talked about in brum from at least the sixtys
i would be very much intrested in hearing any news on this subject ; many thanks astonian ;;

I've added a couple of pics to the collection in post #48 showing light traffic near the Bull Ring with adverts bringing back memories of the Midland Bank and Double Diamond in the one pic, and a very new looking Spagetti Junction in the other.

Back