• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brookes - William Street, Ladybrook

B

Belladonna1965

Brookes - William Street, Ladywood

Hiya
I'm looking for some information on my husband's family who lived on William Street, Ladybrook. We have postcards to WG Brookes at no. 94 dated 1930, from his wife Gladys, another to him but this time at no. 76 in 1936, then the last one from my FiL to his parents at 4/86 dated 1954. Any information on either the family or the street would be brilliant. Are the houses still standing, or has the area been redeveloped? I found it on Multimap but that didn't tell me much really!
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belladonna: William Street is off Broad Street, near to Five Ways in Ladywood (not Ladybrook). Some of my family (Pooltons) lived in William Street and Bishopgate Street. The area, along with most of Birmingham city centre, has been redeveloped I'm afraid and none of the old houses still stand. It's now the back of the main nightclub area of Birmingham. There is a pub still standing in Bishopgate Street though - The City Tavern, and I think it's on the corner of William Street -a nice old pub. Take a look on the Main Sites page, you'll probably find some photos of the old William Street there.

:blush: I know it's Ladywood really, honest I do! But for some "surname-related reason" I keep calling it Ladybrook.....
I suspected it might have been redeveloped after finding something on this site about the houses being back to backs or round courtyards, and all that kind of housing went in Nottingham a while back.
Thanks for the info, Charlie, I'll have a look at the Main Sites bit and see what I can find.

Back