• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Broken crisps & biscuits

Paul,

Broken biccies were a stock item in Woolworths too. I would imagine that the manufacturers had plenty to sell on. I bought some individually packed chocolates from Lidl a few weeks ago, and when unwrapped, everyone of them had the same corner broken off. I presume that the wrapping machine was badly set up.

Maurice

They are appearing in shops again, The Food warehouse next to Home Bargains in Bromsgrove are selling them, they have also been selling them in our localAgricultural Merchants for some time... £2.50 and £3.00 for the chocolate biscuit option..

I would love to find out more about the crisp factory that was in Westminster Road Selly Park. Going back to broken biscuits I am sure Asda still sell them if not it has only been in the last few years they have stopped selling them.

The listing in Kelly's for the crisp factory reads 15 Westminster Road, Mrs Tibbins, Hortons Crisps, Potato Crisp manufacturer.

Hi Maurice, not spoken for a while, hope the weather in Crete is sunny, yes you are probably right about the machine settings. keep well , regards Paul

Mrs Tibbilns lived locally, did not realise she owned the crisp factory, thank you so much, we were all under the impression it was sold and took over by a bigger company..it was lovely when we lived with my Nan, a lovely sweet shop owned by Mrs Gibbins at bottom of road crisps opposite and the beautiful aroma of Cadbury’s what a way to take my first breath

Cadbury's used to sell (infact I think they still do?)the waste biscuits and chocolates in the chocolate shop but only to staff and day passes to people working on something there at the time. I used to love going with one of the family but usually come out with bruises with all the pushing and shoving incase someone missed out so they had to get there first!!
I lived opposite Hortons crisps and remember it well. There were two shops in Westminter Road,the one in the middle was Mrs Gibbons and the one at the bottom, on the corner of St Stephens Road was I think owned by Mr & Mrs Anthony What was your Grans name ?

there was a shop on the poolway stechford that sold a big box full of assorted for £2. most of them was whole not broken.

:yum

Izzy when I was a child there was a chip shop at the top of Holte road run by two sisters one named Sissy [can't remember the others] and they too gave us packets of bits of batter that had not attached to the fish. Oh Alf maybe they came off the floor?. Bye. Jean.
My Auntie Marge, used to work at Typhoo Tea, and she said that the tea in teabags was the loose tea swept off the floor. (of course she was joking?)

When a lad i would use Tiverton Road, Selly Oak swimming baths, and then go to the corner shop just up from the Bristol Road, and by a huge bag of broken crisps for 1d, lovely lasted all the way home on the bus to Weoley Castle!!!!

My mom worked opposite Hughes biscuit factory, at Thornley and Knights. She would pop over there during her lunch break to buy a bag of broken biscuits, and they would sit in her bag the whole afternoon, soaking up the smell from the Tekoloid (paint). By the time she got home with them they tasted and smelled like the paint factory. I would complain, but, my mom insisted they were okay. But, she was probably so used to the smell of that place she didn't notice. Her work clothes always smelled of paint.

My mom worked opposite Hughes biscuit factory, at Thornley and Knights. She would pop over there during her lunch break to buy a bag of broken biscuits, and they would sit in her bag the whole afternoon, soaking up the smell from the Tekoloid (paint). By the time she got home with them they tasted and smelled like the paint factory. I would complain, but, my mom insisted they were okay. But, she was probably so used to the smell of that place she didn't notice. Her work clothes always smelled of paint.
:mask: good stuff:grinning:

Back