• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British Soldiers Parade in Paradise Street 1952

W

Wendy

This is one of a few photo's posted by Stanley Tarrent on our Facebbook page I thought they were so good I had to post them here.

This is the 1st battalion the Figi Regiment.

Figi Infantry.jpg

Birmingham Scottish Pipe Band.

This comment was added to the thread.
Maxie Lavan What a wonderful photo,This is The Birmingham scottish Pipe Band, my dad was the big drummer, i joined as a Piper at the age of 11 in 1957, Leading the Band is Drum Major Donald Woodward,,to the left of the photo is Pipe Major Jimmy Muir, and on the right is Gilbert King, also if you look behind the band you will see the Birmingham Firemen [now called Firefighters]. great memories, thank you Stanley Tarrant

Birmingham Scottish Pipe Band..jpg

Malay Command.jpg

Info added by Andrew Thornton.
Well, the chaps at the front are wearing the HQ Malaya Command badge on their upper arms. At that time the 2nd Battalion were there. The Coronation Contingent was made up from soldiers from all of the battalions.

Many thanks to the photographer Stanley Tarrent for sharing his work with us.

Thanks for that, Wendy. Some of our members must remember this parade, surely?

Chris

What a colourful spectacle they must have been in the middle of Brum, would love to have seen that.

I actually remember this parade, though quite young, my Dad took me to see it, though we arrived a little late I seem to remember. Paul

I think you may be correct but will take a look as there was a correction made one way or the other.

I try and re post good original photo's here as some are not on Facebook and others not on the forum or don't find it easy to post here. The added info is from the original poster this is what he posted. after looking at some of the shots of Ye Olde Birmingham I thought you might like to see some of mine. They were taken in 1952 - The Coronation year - during a British soldiers parade. They were coming along Paradise St into Broad St.

Hi All,

It was 1953 the Coronation Year. The Queen succeeded her father, King George V1, who died in 1952. I was on duty at the parade and was outside Victoria Law Courts in my best uniform. trousers pressed and boots polished. It was, indeed, a splendid sight.

Old Boy

As are these photo's. We wouldn't see them if Stanley hadn't had the foresight to take them. We owe these photographers a great debt.

I agree Wendy, we owe so much to the foresight of even amateur photographers, from all periods so we can look back at our history.Paul

Back