• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British India information.

Sid Walker

knowlegable brummie
Could some kind person tell me where I can do research for someone who served in India {Fort William] in the 1800s. Sid Walker 20.03.09.

Try this site - many of the records are available on line. I've used it a lot for basic BMD stuff

If you want to search the records and look at detailed history information, the India Office records are held at the British Library (near Euston Station)

Hi Sid,

I'm also trying to find information on family in India, the fibis site has some but limited, IGI also but I heard they are working on India and should have more within the year, there is also indiaman.com Paul Rowlands who does research for a price, he also has a site on facebook where you can ask questions.

You have to remember when your checking the spelling is not always write e.g. I had a relative named Brimble but found a marriage under Brumble
I also found the dates weren't always right off a year or two.

Good Luck
Hilary

Back