• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bristol Street School

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
From British History Online:

BRISTOL STREET COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL. Bristol St. Bd. Sch. opened 1876 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 1,000 in 3 depts. (B, G, I). Fees 1d.–3d. Old Meeting St. Temporary Bd. Sch. closed on its opening. Enlarged 1879, 1898. Bd. of Ed. demanded minor alterations and smaller numbers 1912 and 1925. Alterations made and sch. reorganized 1935, 1936 for JM, I. Two depts. united 1939. Accom. 1961: 9 classrooms, 2 halls.

64CB909F-F7A0-43EC-A94A-4186BDBDB18A.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Thank you for the photo. I was at Bristol Street School at that time but I don't think in that photo. I have not had much success finding anything about the school, not even any photos of the building. I left there in 1961 to go to George Dixon's Grammar School.

Names I remember are my friends:
John VanHeemsbergen (actually Jean Pierre VanHeemsbergen)
Howard Barnett
Jacqueline Mariner
Janet Brown
Gwyneth Goodchild
Susan Monkhouse

Last edited:
I was there until about 1956 when I moved to St Thomas and remember very little except it seems to have been a happy experience. Mixed classes and for some reason remember writing clearly was important. Milk in small bottles.

Back