• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bring back Kunzle showboats

Thanks for posting the piece about the Showboats Len. What an Engineer to come up with all those ideas. They certainly gave the Showboats an A try to keep them but everything kept changing along the way and it became more and more expensive to produce them and as you say the Directors would have
put a stop to the production even way back then. They were such a treat
when we had them and the memory is still with us.

My Dad liked to shop at Barrows in Birmingham on his way home from work, wonderful cheese. Dad worked for Frederick Marsden in Cannon Street. They then moved to Coventry and Dad travelled every day by bus.

Annie

what a mouth watering reminder, one always tried to lick the inside out before breaking the chocolate shell

another good link Len its a shame that things become too expensive over the years we have lost so much and Kunzle Showboats are one of them mmmm-m
icon7.gif

My gran and her sisters lived in ley hill house in the 1920s and worked as servants for the Kunzle family

hi maggieuk how interesting about your family working in ley hill int he 1920's. do you have any ancedotes of the at time?

Len cops i used to work in chocolate and put in Bindler and aasted plants myself but not at kunzles.. nice to read your account.
i suppose the bottom line is if we want kunzle cakes back we have to pay a premium price....I cant see that happening at the moment and somehow it doesnt fit the birmingham philosphy of life anymore. See what happened to druckers. if you go into town there just arent the premium cake shops just mcdonalds pizza hut etc.

We always used to have showboats for high tea at my great-aunts - I loved the orange ones, but would eat any of them. My aunt used to get the bags of broken biscuits at Garretts Green too.
Graham, was the bakers one of the Don Miller ones? I remember going to one in Erdington with my nan, before Sutton and Tamworth had their own, the bread was lovely there
Sue

Oh goodness I remember Kunzles. I worked at an insurance company in the early 70s near Five Ways and on Friday pay day a Kunzle cake was my treat at lunchtime. I loved Wimbushes too their trifles in the little white card dishes were wonderful.

One of my aunts worked at Kunzles too before she was married.
I can't remember ever having one of those cakes.

One of my aunts worked at Kunzles too before she was married.
I can't remember ever having one of those cakes.
Perhaps she ate them all herself and who can blame her? They were as I used to say for some silly reason as a boy, "World's Whip". :grinning:

Perhaps she ate them all herself and who can blame her? They were as I used to say for some silly reason as a boy, "World's Whip". :grinning:
Very possibly!
I remember her saying they were allowed to eat some of the chocolates but the novelty soon wore off with most - I guess Kunzles knew that would happen.

Back