• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridesmaids

W

Wendy

How many of us were bridesmaids? This is a slide found recently from about 1959/60. I was bridesmaid to my parents neighbours daughter when they lived in Coleraine Road Great Barr. It is the only photo we have from that time in colour. The man who lived next door to us in Sutton was a rep for Agfa and I can remember the photo being taken!

Wendy you've started me off again. Only yesterday did I sort some photo's out of when I was a bridesmaid. Three times a bridesmaid never a bride so the old saying went. Not true on my part. Jean.

Wendy i like the photo i love looking at other peoples photos i never get tired of them......Mau-reece

Thanks Moz, I am the same I love looking at people and in different settings especially old ones! I can't remember if the photo was taken in our garden or next door.

How old were you on the photo Wendy?. Patty I remember Malcolm well was from Nechells wasn't he?. Jean.

You couldn't have remembered him that well Jean, he lived in Tower rd next to my nan's outdoor. Aunt Olive and the 2 girls lived in Cato Steet and had the outdoor there.

Used to visit often with you Pat. Was his mom Olive?. . I do remember the smell of the gas works though. I am going to sort my photo's out [again] but I was never a child bridesmaid. Jean.

Great photo and thread Wendy!

Sorry if I borrow it for a moment but it reminded me of a photo that I was looking at only yesterday. I think that this is the best photo that I've ever made. It's two of my great nieces taken on my sisters landing just before a family wedding in 1982.

Graham.

Grahahm that is a lovely photo. Are the girls themselves married now?. If they have children that would make you a great great uncle. Bye. Jean.

Jean, I think that I'm a g. g. uncle many times over, how many I don't know; will have to check that one out.
icon7.gif

When I first married in 1961 I lived a couple of doors away from St. Marks ,Washwood Heath.
It was an area that housed many of the newly arrived West Indian people.
One Saturday there was a West Indian wedding.It was beautiful ,all the men wore white gloves.
The bridesmaids were wonderful,there must have been about 20 of them wearing dresses of every pastel colour you can think of.
They lookes just like a bunch of Sweet peas,truly lovely.

I was nearly 9 when I was a bridesmaid to my dear Uncle and his lovely bride, my wonderful Aunt, who is now in her 80's, sadly a widow.

Taken in 1949

Rowan what a lovely photo. I must sort mine out but I was never a bridesmaid as a child and guess when you get to 14 and over it's not the same. Jean.

Back