• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brick paved street

A couple of years ago there was a similar thread on this forum, but not referring to this particular magazine article.

Many people mentioned the rubber bricks that were used for the road serface in the Minories, the road spanned by the Lewis's "bridge".

I had assummed that the article meant brick-bricks, if you get what i mean. I remember the thread you mention. I think i commented on rubber bricks near the queens hotel in leeds.

A good point on the Minories I thought of that but what turned me away was the distance the Minories hardly comes any where near the 150 yds mentioned also would this be regarded as a heavy traffic route.Dek

Since the beginning of time the Dutch people have used baked red clay bricks to pave their streets, and they're very nice too.

A couple of years ago there was a similar thread on this forum, but not referring to this particular magazine article.

Many people mentioned the rubber bricks that were used for the road serface in the Minories, the road spanned by the Lewis's "bridge".
Hi everyone, I remember very well the rubber blocks in the Minories, they were lethal in the wet!!
Happy New Year Reg

We always used to call that stretch of road going under Lewis's, the Minories, the rubber road.

Judy

Reg, l know what you mean about those rubber bricks in the minories, one rainy saturday in the '50s l was walking along there wearing high heels of course, and l went a.. over tip, ruining my nylons breaking a heel on my shoe contents of my basket going everywhere, l was'nt hurt just embarrest...after that l always avoided the minories when it rained.....Brenda

quite true moverman and brenda ;
they was always a threat to humans; a accident to wait ' i wonder if they ever had a claim brought agaist them ;
they was most dangerous those ruberise bricking ;
happy new year to you all astonian

Astonian, lf l remember right who ever would have thought of sueing anyone in the 50s....l just got up brushed myself and carried on when l slipped in the minories....how things have changed the world over people will sue for anything these days.....with the help of a lawyer of course.....Brenda

I recall someone suing the grocers next The Swans Nest in the late 50's when they over a box in the walkway.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Back