• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brewers Arms Sparkbrook

earlgary

master brummie
Can anyone tell me if the Brewers Arms is still standing. My parents kept it in the 50's. It was on the corner of Stoney Lane and Highgate Rd.

Hello earlgarry

You will be pleased to year its still open, but its like many other pubs around that area now, its a curry house.

Phil

Hello Again,

I just thought you might like to see the Brewers as it is now, also a shot of the Queens over the road, which I think is still a pub. What a shame the Brewers used to be such a smart looking building.

Phil

SparkbrookQueensArmsHighgateRd.jpg
SparkbrookHighgateRdTheBrewersArms.jpg

Thanks Phil, my how the old place has changed, but at least it is still standing and has not met the fate of a lot of the old pubs of being flattened. It is many years since I have been in the Stratford Rd area but from what I have seen in news reports it is very different from how it was.:)

Hi earlgary,
My father's uncle Frank Hudson (& auntie Flo) ran this pub in the 30s & 40s. He used to go there often. Are you any relation?

Carolyn

Some years ago I bought this postcard which claimed it was the Brewers' Arms. I have not seen the original pub [the present building is not the original] so I have not been able to confirm it. Maps show it to be a large building but this just looks TOO large? Still a lovely photo. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• thomas-street-sparkbrook-brewers-arms.jpg
    thomas-street-sparkbrook-brewers-arms.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 7
Back