• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brearley Street

Good morning mikejee,
mike would it be possible to show me the location of 270 Brearley street please. as i am trying to find a picture of it for an ex Summer Lane schoolgirl.

Good morning mikejee,
mike would it be possible to show me the location of 270 Brearley street please. as i am trying to find a picture of it for an ex Summer Lane schoolgirl.
Hi mossg, there is another thread called brearley street newtown, post #217 has the map you are looking for.

I started compiling this map the other day to work out the house numbers prior to renumbering, hopefully it will be of use to somebody in the future. It appears smaller courts were combined into one large court and many courts were obliterated by factories. Census source for this was 1881, Birmingham, St Georges, Districts 5, 11, 14, 19, 29 & 64.
Great map thanks for posting. It's of real interest to me as the 1891 census shows my then 10 year old great gran Rose Pagett was living at House 3, Court 29, Brearley Street. The next two census' appear to show her in the Birmingham Workhouse.

Great map thanks for posting. It's of real interest to me as the 1891 census shows my then 10 year old great gran Rose Pagett was living at House 3, Court 29, Brearley Street. The next two census' appear to show her in the Birmingham Workhouse.
Slightly clearer map(s), the only map with house numbers is from the 1950s, luckily these correspond (roughly) to the numbers that they would have been in 1891. Court 29 was between Nos. 79 & 81 and it looks as though it became a garage in the 50s. It's a pity we don't have any maps between these 2 dates.

Attachments

• brearley-st-1889-1950s-map.jpg
    brearley-st-1889-1950s-map.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Slightly clearer map(s), the only map with house numbers is from the 1950s, luckily these correspond (roughly) to the numbers that they would have been in 1891. Court 29 was between Nos. 79 & 81 and it looks as though it became a garage in the 50s. It's a pity we don't have any maps between these 2 dates.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused, were the courts renumbered? Your earlier map appeared to show Court 29 to be further west by Hockley St, sorry if I'm being dim!
1700658157483.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused, were the courts renumbered? Your earlier map appeared to show Court 29 to be further west by Hockley St, sorry if I'm being dim!
View attachment 186262
You're not being dim at all, it's complicated, I was confused too, that's why I thought I should clarify where Court 29 was in 1891. The courts marked in red were the numbers used prior to renumbering the street which must have happened before 1889 (the map date).
Originally the house numbers were sequential starting on the north side of Brearley Street at Newtown Row, the court numbers were also sequential.
They then changed and used odd numbers on the north side and even numbers on the south side, they also changed the court numbering to match i.e. 1, 3, 5 etc. north side and 2, 4, 6 etc. south side.

I don't know if you've used this website for maps, it's very useful but a bit difficult to get to grips with.

hi john a few people have told me how difficult they find it to search the scottish map overlays but i find it easy..not like me :D

paul there are 2 drop down search boxes on the left...all i do is put in os 6 inch 1889-1913 in the select a map box then in the top box where is says type in a place name put in the name of the street or road you are searching ie brearley street birmingham..having said that i always leave it on those settings because it saves changing the background map which can be a bit difficult

the map will then come up and you can zoom in if you wish and move it about

at the bottom of the page on the left you will see a blue dot..just slide it to the right and the old map will fade out to show you what is there today...hope this helps..below is the link and i have left it showing brearley street... below is link to the map which i have left on brearley st for you...

lyn

hi john a few people have told me how difficult they find it to search the scottish map overlays but i find it easy..not like me :D

paul there are 2 drop down search boxes on the left...all i do is put in os 6 inch 1889-1913 in the select a map box then in the top box where is says type in a place name put in the name of the street or road you are searching ie brearley street birmingham..having said that i always leave it on those settings because it saves changing the background map which can be a bit difficult

the map will then come up and you can zoom in if you wish and move it about

at the bottom of the page on the left you will see a blue dot..just slide it to the right and the old map will fade out to show you what is there today...hope this helps..below is the link and i have left it showing brearley street... below is link to the map which i have left on brearley st for you...

lyn

Thanks both. I've used NLS maps before but used the side by side feature. The transparency feature is really good, will definitely use it in the future. FYI, I have access to lots of historical mapping online via a programme I use for work. There's not as many years mapping available as there used to be on old-maps.com but it's still a good tool to have. I suspect many of the map experts on this site have access to the same mapping already but let mw know if there's anything you want me to look up.

You're not being dim at all, it's complicated, I was confused too, that's why I thought I should clarify where Court 29 was in 1891. The courts marked in red were the numbers used prior to renumbering the street which must have happened before 1889 (the map date).
Originally the house numbers were sequential starting on the north side of Brearley Street at Newtown Row, the court numbers were also sequential.
They then changed and used odd numbers on the north side and even numbers on the south side, they also changed the court numbering to match i.e. 1, 3, 5 etc. north side and 2, 4, 6 etc. south side.

I don't know if you've used this website for maps, it's very useful but a bit difficult to get to grips with.

Many thanks for your reply, that makes perfect sense.

I didn't know the 1:500 Town plan maps where on there too!

To add to this, which might seem a bit strange , and was not followed in most other streets that renumbered. In his case, which was between the Kellys of 1883 and 1884, Brearley St and Brearley St West (which were before separate), were combined, and otherwise there might have been duplicate court numbers in the same street

Back