• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bread Street

was it Bread street Birmingham or Bread street Aston as Asylum road as had three names orignally it was the continuation of Summer lane and then Bread street prior to Asylum road which was named after the Asylum that used to stand on the same plot as M M Lilley's the Asylum houses were still used long after the Asylum closed
you could still see the outlines in the walls of the inhabitants cells in the middle timber sawmill in Asylum Road I think it would have been a good dig for the Time team there was a story of skeletons been found on the site 

Would anyone know if the numbering of Bread Street remained the same when it became Cornwall street? My 3 x gt grandfather had a printworks at 54 Bread Street, having moved it from "73 and a quarter" High Street. I know the buildings have changed since 1844 but just wanted a sense of the area.

The numbering changed completely, the numbering going from continuous (1,2,3,4....) to odd one side, even the other. Cannot give a definite position of no 54, but it was between New Meeting St and Newhall St, as shown by the red line on the map below

map c1889 showing area in which no 54 Bread St was.jpg

You're a star, that's so good of you. Thank you. The advert in the 1844 paper says Bread Street, Newhall Street in one paper, and Bread Street near Newhall Street in another. Thanks again.

Early addresses of a relatively minor road would often list that road and then a more major road, off which it came, after it (such as Bread St, Newhall St)

you are most welcome...i think somewhere in my files i may have one or two actually old photographs so when i have a bit of time i will take a look and post on this thread

lyn
That would be lovely as I am writing a history of my Birmingham family and it would make a good illustration. Thanks very much. There are so many roads that no longer exist that they lived in, Like Exeter Row, and just "Highgate". But I'm getting there, thank to people like you.

That would be lovely as I am writing a history of my Birmingham family and it would make a good illustration. Thanks very much. There are so many roads that no longer exist that they lived in, Like Exeter Row, and just "Highgate". But I'm getting there, thank to people like you.
Hi Potty Painter,

Just stumbled across this web page while looking on Google Maps for 52, Bread Street, as this was the address given on a census for one of my past female relatives. She married a John W Wilkes who was listed as a ‘Striker’ in the pen trade . Eliza his wife also became listed as working in the pen trade.

Regards

PW

Back