• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bread and Dripping

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Birmingham​

Dripping on Toast - £8.50. Seriously.​

Not quite believing this I asked the waiter/pub man what it meant and he said they collected the dripping from the belly pork and roast suckling pig that they serve, pour it into a tin, freeze it and then slice it and serve it on toast. Cold.
For this they are charging £8.50.

It is weird isn't it - before long you will have the supermarkets catch on to something like this - dripping on bread or sarnies and they will charge a little less - possibly 4 quid a sarnie.
They already do bread and butter pudding ready made to buy - this type of pudding was knocked up on a Sunday tea time with left over stale white bread a drop of milk an egg and some currents or sultanas
There are a few other left over dishes, made from the left overs that you can now buy in supermarkets ready made.... it is no wonder food is thrown away in this country by the ton each day, no one seems to use lefts overs and yet will buy the left overs ready prepared!o_O
Seriously I think I'll market a range of delicacies such as dripping on toast. lamb fat sandwiches, fried tripe, rag pudding, and gravy with bread soaked in it as cheap soup. I reckon I could be onto a winner!
there is nout wrong with eating left overs
:)

I loved a ‘piece’ of dripping as a child but couldn’t eat it now! Is there much difference in taste between pork and beef dripping?

i do not like lamb dripping though yukkk
A thumbs down from me too.
An article on offal in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/oct/28/offal-comeback-high-end-menus-home-cooking

Bread or toast spread with meat drippings was tasty. Mother, who was the daughter of a cook in a big Edgbaston house told me that she had watched a workman in Clarke Street from between the school railings. He gave her his sandwiches which proved to be bread and lard and her parents made her eat them as the chap had given up his lunch. Quality butchers sell best lard with rosemary still. But I'd prefer dripping.

A thumbs down from me too.
An article on offal in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/oct/28/offal-comeback-high-end-menus-home-cooking

Bread or toast spread with meat drippings was tasty. Mother, who was the daughter of a cook in a big Edgbaston house told me that she had watched a workman in Clarke Street from between the school railings. He gave her his sandwiches which proved to be bread and lard and her parents made her eat them as the chap had given up his lunch. Quality butchers sell best lard with rosemary still. But I'd prefer dripping.
i still do eat lard/cooking fat on bread if i have no dripping with sea salt and black pepper:yum

It is weird isn't it - before long you will have the supermarkets catch on to something like this - dripping on bread or sarnies and they will charge a little less - possibly 4 quid a sarnie.
They already do bread and butter pudding ready made to buy - this type of pudding was knocked up on a Sunday tea time with left over stale white bread a drop of milk an egg and some currents or sultanas
There are a few other left over dishes, made from the left overs that you can now buy in supermarkets ready made.... it is no wonder food is thrown away in this country by the ton each day, no one seems to use lefts overs and yet will buy the left overs ready prepared!o_O
Seriously I think I'll market a range of delicacies such as dripping on toast. lamb fat sandwiches, fried tripe, rag pudding, and gravy with bread soaked in it as cheap soup. I reckon I could be onto a winner!
there is nout wrong with eating left overs
:)
Surely the beginning of this practice was the packets of breadcrumbs. On these boring cooking programs they usually insist on om one brand (paco?)

No lard or dripping today so I had butter ghee on toast and lovely it was too. Ghee (clarified butter) is used a lot in Indian cooking and can cook at a higher temp than butter without 'burning'. Even after opening it will last many weeks in a fridge.

No lard or dripping today so I had butter ghee on toast and lovely it was too. Ghee (clarified butter) is used a lot in Indian cooking and can cook at a higher temp than butter without 'burning'. Even after opening it will last many weeks in a fridge.
It is called butter oil here, and is the standard way that butter is supplied for industrial purposes (such as chocolate, whereb water is not a good thing to put in). As Richad says, it keeps (in cold store ) for considerable periods.

I am sat at work just fancying a slice of this with a bit of the dripping jelly on it also and a sprinkle of salt....I know salt, the bread and the dripping is bad for you but what the heck you only live once! This used to be a great treat as a child.

I am sat at work just fancying a slice of this with a bit of the dripping jelly on it also and a sprinkle of salt....I know salt, the bread and the dripping is bad for you but what the heck you only live once! This used to be a great treat as a child.
But that is how to eat dripping especially with the jelly and a pinch of salt!

Back