• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brass Knobs

canonvela

proper brummie kid
When digging out the floor of our house to lay a new one we found that it had been bedded on what can be best described as historic industrial waste. In amongst the stones and rubble were pieces of mother of pearl that had holes where buttons were cut from them, and a lot of plaster moulds. The moulds came singly and in matched pairs and looked to have been used for casting knobs and other metal items.

These moulds have been sat in our attic for years but I am trying to date our house and think that this might be an avenue of investigation. Does anyone know if it would be possible to put a date on these things?

The photo is of just a couple that I have to hand. If anyone can help identifying them I can post a lot more.

Attachments

• Casting Moulds.jpg
    Casting Moulds.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 26
hi canonvela how interesting...would love to see more and you were very wise to save what you could...if we know where you live we have some very good members on here who could research the ground where your house is and find out what was there before...at least the name of the street or road and area would be useful...i lived in villa st lozells at 118 and just up from our house was the well known copes pearl button factory..we were always finding bits of mother of pearl lying around..the more info you are happy to give us the better..

lyn

Last edited:
When digging out the floor of our house to lay a new one we found that it had been bedded on what can be best described as historic industrial waste. In amongst the stones and rubble were pieces of mother of pearl that had holes where buttons were cut from them, and a lot of plaster moulds. The moulds came singly and in matched pairs and looked to have been used for casting knobs and other metal items.

These moulds have been sat in our attic for years but I am trying to date our house and think that this might be an avenue of investigation. Does anyone know if it would be possible to put a date on these things?

The photo is of just a couple that I have to hand. If anyone can help identifying them I can post a lot more.
What are they made of? The shovel shape looks very basic.

hi canonvela how interesting...would love to see more and you were very wise to save what you could...if we know where you live we have some very good members on here who could research the ground where your house is and find out what was there before...at least the name of the street or road and area would be useful...i lived in villa st lozells at 118 and just up from our house was the well known copes pearl button factory..we were always finding bits of mother of pearl lying around..the more info you are happy to give us the better..

lyn
We are on the Erdington edge of Sutton. The deeds take us back to 1869 but we have reason to believe that the house dates from the 1820s.

It has links with Thomas Gibson, the chap who put John Baskerville's body on display in his warehouse when he bought his house on Easy Hill and demolished it, along with the windmill/mausoleum where his body had been laid to rest, and cut the canal link to the wharfs that lie under Centenary Square.

There are clues. The house has some iron gothic arched windows of a type that became popular in the early 1800s (Thomas owned the ironworks that stood on what is now the site of the latest central library). It has a Georgian bow window that has margin lights that were in fashion in the 1820s. We have found iron railings hidden within later hedges that would have been unusual in what was a rural property. The house offers more questions than answers.

We are on the Erdington edge of Sutton. The deeds take us back to 1869 but we have reason to believe that the house dates from the 1820s.

It has links with Thomas Gibson, the chap who put John Baskerville's body on display in his warehouse when he bought his house on Easy Hill and demolished it, along with the windmill/mausoleum where his body had been laid to rest, and cut the canal link to the wharfs that lie under Centenary Square.

There are clues. The house has some iron gothic arched windows of a type that became popular in the early 1800s (Thomas owned the ironworks that stood on what is now the site of the latest central library). It has a Georgian bow window that has margin lights that were in fashion in the 1820s. We have found iron railings hidden within later hedges that would have been unusual in what was a rural property. The house offers more questions than answers.
thanks for that but unless we have a better idea of location it will be difficult to help you however good luck with your research..hope you keep us informed

lyn

Back