• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Branston Unity F.C.

Roger guise

I have three football medals dating from 1899 - 1901 for a football team called Branston Unity. They were for a Birmingham Charity cup final. can anyone help with any history or information about this club ?

A number of mentions in the newspapers, mostly match report as far I can see, 1890s - 1900s. One article in the Sports Argus, 24 August 1901 appears to mention their annual meeting at their new HO (the Hotel, Wheeler St).

Last mention seems to be in 1912, in relation to a presentation to the president of the club - Mr W A Kiggins - it mentions their win in the West Birmingham Charity Cup.

A number of mentions in the newspapers, mostly match report as far I can see, 1890s - 1900s. One article in the Sports Argus, 24 August 1901 appears to mention their annual meeting at their new HO (the Hotel, Wheeler St).

Last mention seems to be in 1912, in relation to a presentation to the president of the club - Mr W A Kiggins - it mentions their win in the West Birmingham Charity Cup.
Many thanks for the reply to my enquiry, I did find a few match reports myself in the Sports Argus.
The three medals that we have were for the West Birmingham Charity Cup - a win, a runners up and one that was left blank.
I would love to know if the team was a works team or from a social club, and I have not managed to get this established.
The medals were awarded to Walter Upton who is a distant relative of my wife.
Thanks again,
roger

Further to my earlier enquiry regarding the West Birmingham Charity Cup if anyone can help with any further info regarding the three seasons for which we have final medals. it would be good to know who were Branston unity's opponents and the final scores.

Back