• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brandwood End cemetery

karro

master brummie
I'm trying to locate where Ann Burley 1801-1874 is buried. She was living with one of her sons William Burley who is buried at Brandwood End. William died in 1929. Is there some way of checking via internet?
I've been searching but unable to find anything. Ann may be buried with her husband Richard Burley who died 1855 in Birmingham but I've had no luck with locating his grave either. Any ideas or information is welcomed.
Karro

I could take a look at the "All Saints" burial register next time i go to the Birmingham Reference library if you like?

Regards

Steve

Thanks to both of you. i didn't know when Brandwood End opened.
Steve if you could check the "All Saints" registry for me that would be great. As far as I know Ann was living with her son William on Mosley Rd in Kings Norton at the time of her death. I don't know if that information helps.
Cheers Karro

Ok Karro. I'll probably be going to the library later next week. I have St.Nicolas church, Kings Norton burials on microfische, but neither of them are listed as being buried there. So i'll check the All Saints church records Kings Heath.

Steve

Thanks so much Steve. Not living in England makes it difficult to get this kind of information with the kindness of those such as yourself.
Cheers

Sorry Karro, no trace of the burial at All Saints church Kings Heath. I also checked for a Burial at Christchurch in Yardley Wood as i had to look something up there, but again I'm sorry, nothing listed.

There is an A Burley listed as having a memorial at All Saints church. I checked this but it refered to the war memorial 1914-1918 with no additional information.

Regards

Steve

Steve
Thanks so much for your time and effort. At least I know where she's not buried. She is probably buried with her husband Richard who died in 1855 in Birmingham but I haven't been able to locate him either.
Best wishes Karro

I just realised that Richard and Ann Burley baptised all their children at St Martins in Birmingham. Perhaps they were buried there. Does anyone have access to the burial records for St Martin's????
Cheers Karro

These Burleys are in key Hill if they are any realtion?
Surname Forenames Year Section Ref No in Plot Grave
BURLEY Alfred Edward 1931​
K 755 54775 6
Alfred May 1914 L 215 49869

Eleanor 1926​
K 755 53409 6

Harold 1898​
S 20 41723

Maud May 1915​
L 215 50261

Wilfred Charles 1920 L 232 51837

Brian

Very well done Brian, your last post , number 13, has them found. Karro will be pleased.

There is a site on the 'net which shows many names and photo's of graves at Warstone Lane. I have had a look but there aren't any of Ann and Richard's grave.

Regards

Steve

Thank you sooo much Brian!! It is really wonderful to find their burial place. Thanks to everyone that assisted me in my search.
Cheers Karro

Just wished I'd looked in WL first before KH!

There are many more in Warstone Lane - too many to have listed, so if you are looking for any others, shout up with names/years.

It's good to help.

Brian

Karro - if you contact Handsworth (see #13) with the names, dates and refs that Brian included, you should get back the graves section and number. Ask them for as much additional detail as they have. Once you have the information I'll pop down and try to locate the grave location and take a photo.

[Brian, Shortie and I will be particularly interested in the catacomb ref as we've been trying to decode the system! If you want to see what the outside of the catacombs look like, search the forum as we have added quite a few photos of them over the past 6 months]

Thanks for your generous offers Brian & Leslam. I sent an email yesterday to the address in #13 asking for as much information as they can provide. I'll let you know when I get a reply.
Cheers Karro

Brian & Leslam
Just recieved a reply from Handsworth Cemetaries saying:
"The information we provide free of charge is the grave location only. Any further information, however great or small require additional research and therefore will incur the fee of £10.00 per search. If your relatives are buried in common/public graves, then the information we would hold would be negligible."

I don't fully understand the designation that Brian provided. Is Catacomb 16883 Ann's plot number?Does this mean that Richard and Ann are buried in common/public graves? Clearly they are not buried together. Can you help clarify the desgnation for me?
It would be lovely to have a photo of the burial site but I'm more than happy to know where they are buried. Thanks once again for all your assistance. Karro

I'll try to explain Karro

Brian has given you:
Ann 1874
Catacomb 16883
Richard 1855
None 3964

My interpretation of the above is that the 3946 and 16883 are the burial references (the numbering fits in nicely with other burial refs I know of in this period). These numbers, together with the year are used to locate the interment information from the interment registers that H'worth hold.
Again, my interpretation is that this catacomb burial was a public burial. Other examples we have (where the burial is not in a public grave) include information about the catacomb - for exampe Amelia 1855 Catacomb 61 South under Cloisters 61 3715A (3715A is the burial ref), from the Lucas thread.

{I'm sure that Shortie or Brian will correct me if I''ve got this wrong :)}

To see the catacombs, have a look at the photos here

Hi Karro, Leslam jus beat me to it!
3964 & 16883 are sequential numbers for binterrments in the cemetery. Richard was the One thousandth, eight hundred and fifty fifth person to be interred.
The Burial Registers start with the first one (No.1) and continue onwards.

Regretably, Warstone Lane Secretaries, have overv the years been a little lax in the recording. many Burial plots are not listed - they presumably knew at the tiome, and that all they were worried about - or they had additional records - now lost - probably in Diocesan offices (being Church of England).

The existing staff have no historical knowledge of the cemetery, and I cannot find a plan of the catacomb layout at Handsworth (Bishop of Worcestrer's office has been suggested).

All we do know is that most of the 'doors' you see in the catacombs are entrances to 9' x 6' box rooms - very much like self storage facilities nowadays. A drawing of one in the lower level at key Hill shows 3 shelves making 4 rows of 3 coffins - 12 in all.
Although designed for families, the take up was not great, and they were used for Public internments. Once built, they did not have to be dug out for use every time someione had to go in.

At present, without a good map of and layout plan, etc - there is almost no way of knowing exactly who is where. There are catacombs inside and some were under the South Cloister of the church.

Maybe one day we can Time Team to open up and investigate! Until than we can only say they are somewhere within.

Leslam has posted a pic of the catacombs, I'll see if I can find it.

Brian

If you click on the 'here' at the end of Leslams message - it takes you to her original post & pictures - Sorry - Did not spot it was an actual link until I clicked on it and it turned blue (must be the cold weather)

Brian

Thanks for clarifying the meaning of the numbering. I'm going to write Handsworth Cemetery again using the correct terminology. "Burial reference number". Hopefully they will be able to provide the plot numbers. the catacombs are fascinating!!!!
Cheers Karro

I just recieved a reply from Handsworth cemeteries. Unfortunately their records does not include the plot numbers for either Ann or Richard. Although its unfortuante not to have their exact resting place, I'm really pleased to have found where they are buried. Thanks so much to all those who helped me locate them, especially Leslam and Brian. I certainly wouldn't have found them without your help!!!
cheers Karro

Back