• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brandauers Factory New John St. West.

hi malcolm. sorry i dont know who the architect was. try putting it in google.i think there used to be a thread on this site for brandaurs but i cant seem to find it. a couple of chaps went in there 2 or 3 years ago and took loads of pictures which i have saved. if you would like me to post a couple let me know. as far as i know it is a listed building. wales

Hello Malcom & Welcome to this site ,

You could E-mail www.brandauer.co.uk to ask your question on Monday unless answer arrives here 1st
M D is a Mr David Spears, Commercial Mngr a Mr Andrew Edwards, both helpful gentlemen.

Brandauers is still manufacturing, its moved around to the Street behind the old building,
They had to move due to deterioration of building(s) + cost to repair etc
Best regards JohnY

When on the way home from the cemetery yesterday I noticed the Brandauer building has a large for sale banner across the front being sold by Grimley's. I do hope it is saved.

hi wend..thanks for that update...even if the frontage is saved like they did with the croc works it will be something...

lyn

Hi

No luck with those photo's I am afraid. I think the link is broken. Do you have have you can email to me please. ]

Thanks Zafar

We noticed that the Brandauer building has scaffolding up at the back today. I hope something is being done.

Does anyone remember in New John Street West a short way up from Brandaeurs there used to be a big house which held the Family Service Unit. This was up to 1962 approx. I need the house number of that building if anyone can help please Thanks

I was taling to a friend last week who told me his grandparents were caretakers and cleaners at Brandauers. He told me their house was actually inside the building. He went to see it some time ago with the owners of Brandauers he said it was amazing they even had a cellar.

hi mike....do you know how near the building was to brandaurers as there maybe a pic of it floating around...

hi reg...it may be a good idea to delete shirleys email address off your post 14...

lyn

hi wend just noticed your post....so the house was actually inside the brandauers building..how fascinating...

lyn

Wendy
From the 1913 map it looks like it was the building (in red) marked sunday school.
Mike

map_around_Braudeneurs_showing_398.jpg

hi mike...could this be the building...st georges rectory house dated 1956.brandauers is just out of shot on the right..

lyn.

Lyn
That looks about the right size, and , if Brandauers is just off to the right then I think it must be. The map below is early 1950s, and the building on th eright of the picture must be the club rooms, At first , when i looked at the map, I thought the rectory was marked as St Georges Curry House! Should use my glasses.
Mike

map_c_1951_NJSW_bet__Summer_lane___Hospital_St.jpg

lol mike..just to maybe confirm it..here is a pic of the building next to the rectory(i think it was st georges cafe) and you can see brandaurs is next to that..note the double gates on both pics...

lyn

In the early 1950s when i was a lad,the layout was as follows.The picture in post#21 shows The rectory on the left.
The middle section with arched doorway had rooms either side of the entrance and was used by a bridge club and other functions no doubt.Behind this building was a courtyard and in the early 50s had the ruins of St Edwards church.
The (garage door) on the right also led to the courtyard.
The door to the right of this,with front steps led to club rooms,used as St Georges Sunday school,kids club,Cub room.At the rear was a larger room where early Friday evenings films were shown with a projector.They were shown for local kids,and usually showed Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy.
To the right of this was Brandauer's.Mikes map on post#20 shows its long frontage,and a cross in the middle.This was the main works entrance,immediately to the right of this gate was the caretakers house.
I hope this is of interest to somone.Moss.

Moss thanks for that it's always interesting to know what buildings were used for it brings it all to life. I especially like the fact that kids were given a film show. An old neighbor of ours grandparents were caretakers there and lived in the house. I love to see these memories thank you.

In the early 1950s when i was a lad,the layout was as follows.The picture in post#21 shows The rectory on the left.
The middle section with arched doorway had rooms either side of the entrance and was used by a bridge club and other functions no doubt.Behind this building was a courtyard and in the early 50s had the ruins of St Edwards church.
The (garage door) on the right also led to the courtyard.
The door to the right of this,with front steps led to club rooms,used as St Georges Sunday school,kids club,Cub room.At the rear was a larger room where early Friday evenings films were shown with a projector.They were shown for local kids,and usually showed Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy.
To the right of this was Brandauer's.Mikes map on post#20 shows its long frontage,and a cross in the middle.This was the main works entrance,immediately to the right of this gate was the caretakers house.
I hope this is of interest to somone.Moss.

thanks moss...grreat memories of yours...

lyn

Back