• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brain family Aston 1920

B

braithwaite

Looking for anybody that new a family called Brain, living on the Lichfield Road in the early 1920,s:)

i didnt know the brain family from lichfield rd. i have seen them on the electroral rolls and it is william and elizabeth brain and family.

next door to my family in brookvale rd witton lived frederick edmund brain and his wife hannah. he was elderly when i knew him in the 50`s. just wondered if he was a relation.

I worked at Tyburn Road BCT Garage in the late 1950s with a member of a Brain family but don't remember where he lived, he would be in his 20s?:)

Near neighbours of ours in the 40's/50's in Witton were called Brain. Mrs Brain who I think was a widow, daughter Betty and also a son whose name I can't recall but I think he was ex Navy.

i didnt know the brain family from lichfield rd. i have seen them on the electroral rolls and it is william and elizabeth brain and family.

next door to my family in brookvale rd witton lived frederick edmund brain and his wife hannah. he was elderly when i knew him in the 50`s. just wondered if he was a relation.
HI william and elizabeth are my greatgrandparents, dont know frederick,but the name hannah is in the family.

Near neighbours of ours in the 40's/50's in Witton were called Brain. Mrs Brain who I think was a widow, daughter Betty and also a son whose name I can't recall but I think he was ex Navy.
Hi the family are relations,and i also am looking for carters from nechells.

I remember going to shcool with a Brian Brain who's parents lived in Linford Grove South Yardley We used to go to Bierton Road

In the Birmingham Roll of the Great War there are five listed with the surname Brain.
F Brain Gunner R.F.A and R.H.A address 41a Upper Cox Street Balsall Heath. He was demobalised in 1919.
F.F. Brain Gunner R.G.A. demobalised in 1919.11 King Street Smethwick. H Brain Sapper discharged unfit in 1918. 14 Brighton Terrace, Weaman Street, Balsall Heath.
J. Brain Pte Bedfordshire Regiment. discharged unfit in 1916 same address as above.
W.H. Brain Rifleman Kings Royal Rifle Corps, demobalised in 1919. 131 Wattville Road Handsworth.

Hi, My maiden name is Brain my dad lived in Aston and then in Handsworth Wood, his parents had a garage there. He wrote his memolrs before he died and I have just finished typing over 800 pages of his life and where he grew up.

Kate777

Hello Kate,

I knew a 'Brain' family. They lived in the same street as me which was just off Icknield St. Probably no connection with you, just thought I would mention it.

Hi my maiden name is Brain, my grandad was William Edward Brain, who was a driver for the brewery, and lived on the lichfield Rd Aston, and my great grandad with the same name , ran a pet shop on the Lichfield Rd in the 1940s. If you are related in any way, i would be gratefull for any information by private message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Braithwaite. I think it would be a good idea to take your email off the open Forum. Ask Postie to remove it for you.

Not sure but it might be possible to remove your own e-mail go back to post # 12 click on edit post and remove it then repost it. Dek

Hello Kate,

I knew a 'Brain' family. They lived in the same street as me which was just off Icknield St. Probably no connection with you, just thought I would mention it.

Hi, My dad was born in Willis Street Aston would this street be anywhere near the street where you knew the 'Brain' family.

(QUOTE =kate777)

Hi, My dad was born in Willis Street Aston would this street be anywhere near the street where you knew the 'Brain' family.

(QUOTE =kate777)
Hello Kate the Willis St that i knew (no longer there) was in the district of Duddeston although this was part of Aston Manor my first girl friend lived in Willis St.many years ago. Dek

Hello Kate, well on the No 8 bus it wouldn't be far from Aston to Icknield St. However, I can't remember where Willis St was. There could be a family link with your dad and this family. The name Brain is not that common is it?

Here you are Kate Willis St in the distance is St Mathews Church which was on the corner of Gt Lister St and Willis St. Dek

Hi Dek,
Having problems with thread today don't know whether you got my reply but anyway just in case you didn't thanks so much for the map and photo I will put both into my dad's book. Do you know how old the photo is and is the church still there.

(QUOTE =kate777)

Hello Kate yes the church is still there the only thing left of the old times that i remember the photo i would say was prior to demolition 50s- 60s . Dek

I have Richard Archer and Mary Brain, in my Ged File, as all the Archers in West Midlands will go into my file. I can help, I have their children listed, their death dates but "No" Birth for either. I have their marriage date, can anyone help expand, I think Mary Brain, was an inmate, Banbury Workhouse,.
I am going back to the 1700,s to 1800,s with them, I am a Brummy from way back.

Hello midlands. I have commented on the Brain family before. I knew a large Brain family who lived in the same street as myself. This however was in a street off Icknield St, although of course only a stones throw from Aston, so there could be a link with the same family.

Any one researching Brain Family I have detail of 'one' particular Brain Family 1700,s to 1800,s in my file. I don't think I can post it here.

Hi, My Brain family were from Willis Street that's where my dad was born and as he grew up then they all moved to Handsworth and had a garage, then when my grandad Brain died, my grandma sold up the garage and moved to Wellington Road Handsworth where she died in 1963 what sort of information would you have on the Brain family

May not have anything to do with the family you are looking for... - but there was a Brain family in Quinton, not far off Rilestone Road - if i remember correctly. in the 1960's...

hi midlands again most likely of no use to you but i am sure there was a susan brain in my class at lozells girls school..this would have been 1965 to 69

all the best

lyn

Hi my maiden name is Brain, my grandad was William Edward Brain, who was a driver for the brewery, and lived on the lichfield Rd Aston, and my great grandad with the same name , ran a pet shop on the Lichfield Rd in the 1940s. If you are related in any way, i would be gratefull for any information by private message.

Just found this forum.. my gt grandad was a William edward Brain and may of married lillian herriott.
In aston 1908 ish.
I'm new to this. My grandad george albert brain never mentioned his family at all so the going is hard. I may have things wrong.
I hope you can help..

Last edited:
Welcome Debmary.

William Edward Brain birth was registered in Aston June 1889.

Marriage, 20th April 1908 Aston

William Edward Brain age 20 father William Edward Brain
to
Lilian Herriott age 19 father Richard Nathaniel Herriott.

William and Lilian had a son William Richard in 1910 but he died shortly after birth
they had a daughter Lilian Elizabeth just before the census in 1911, she is not on the census perhaps they thought
they did not have to include her.

Census for 1911
102 Thimblemill Lane
they are lodgers of William and Sarah groves
William Brain age 22 born Birmingham
Lilian Brain 22 born Birmingham
they state they have been married 3 years and have had 2 children , 1 is alive.

the other children born to William Brain/Lilian Herriott are
George A 1912 ( 9th june )
James E 1914
Charlotte 1915
Lily M 1918
Albert E 1923
Richard W 1924.

Last edited:
I think we may be related. My gt grandad is a William married to lillian. Father to William is a William. my grandad is george albert. Born JUNE 1912.
My aunt June nee brain remembers the pet shop and a uncle Dickie being murdered in Australia

Back