• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bradnock Marsh

Hockleybrook

proper brummie kid
Can anyone tell me please anything about this place? I know that it is somewhere near Solihull. As it is my families name I would be very interested to know where the name derived from.
Who knows there may be an enormous plot of land (plus manor house) just waiting for me to claim it, oh come on dreams are free.

Thank you for your information.I have looked on the first site and although I can now see where it is, I still wonder what it is?
Is it just marsh land or perhaps now a housing estate? Where, I wonder did it get its name from?
Guess I am still hoping for that manor house!
If you can tell me anything further I would appresciate it.

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no Manor House, Ray took me to see it a couple of years ago to see the fields of wild orchids, at least no housing estate built on it.

Hello, I live at Bradnocks Marsh - well just a little down the road.

Bradnocks Marsh is a cluster of houses just off the A452 near Balsall Common - a few are quite old and a few are more modern. It's mainly fields around here.

Re - bradnock I do not know of Bradnocks March but have noticed you have the name of Bradnock in your family.

I also have some Bradnocks. I am thinking hopefully there may be a link here.
The line I am interested in have a Joseph and his daughter Beatrice who is one of many. Garrison street is prominent in the 1920's.

Thanks so much Jennyann for that information I have looked on the net and found it really interesting. I still think I should have an enormous mansion just waiting to be claimed out on Bradnock's marsh but just like the lottery its elusive.

Yes, Hockleybrook....when we delve into our ancestry most of us hope that there is a mansion and land somewhere with our name on it.Just like those Unclaimed Monies that used to be listed in the Brit newspapers! Oh well!

Bradnocks Marsh was historically a part of Berkswell parish with Hampton in Arden on the other side the River Blythe which runs through it. It was a small hamlet but noted for its water meadows and grazing. Berkswell reared a lot of cattle in the 16thC. There was a family called Bradnock in Berkswell in 1602 but the name is a lot older. The area was a stopover for droving cattle between North Wales and London in the 18thC. There was a windmill there - bottom part still exists. Now a noted fishery and West Midlands Golf Course. In the 1830s the London to Birmingham railway was built through it on an embankment of spoil from the Balsall Common/Tile Hill cutting.

Alan, thanks so much for the information. The place 'Bradnocks Marsh' sounds quite rural, I shall have a trip up to Birmingham in the near future and view this land that belonged to my ancestors.
I get quite whimsical when I think of all those people, probably related, living out there lives, all those years ago. Don't you too wish you could just go back for a day and peep at your distant relatives.

I have been quietly sitting here in Australia waiting for the opportunity to present itself so that I can stake my claim to this mansion and county estate. On the basis that the Bradnock family feature in a very significant manner in my ancestral past I hereby claim all the land, mansions, estates, golf courses, railways and motorways that are within my new found inheritance. Please sell it all and send me the money.

My oldest Bradnock family member that I have traced goes back to William Bradnock b1787 and his wife Esther b1795. Julia Marklew nee Bradnock b 1884 was my grandmother and she lived with us in Birmingham up to 1961 when we emigrated to Australia. Julia's parents were George Bradnock b1839 and his wife Charlotte b1838 and Georges parents were the previously mentioned William and Esther.

Are there any readers of this response that might be connected to my family line ?

Snowball.

hi hockleybrook
i know the feeling i have been chasing and combing you know what
and i am still persueing the country side to make my claim
to claim what is mine as i know alot of things what and where things should be
but its painfully slow progress if you like i am claiming mothers rights
butany way you have got to stick with your dream and keep persueing
there is land in inkerbough that i know of
go to the land register at cov ; they will give you all your details
i have and discovered afew things
keep at it i hope to hear from you soon as i have not heard fromyou in a while
Astonian ;;;

Hi folks,

Just a quick reminder to inform you that in response to my post number 12 on this thread I have still not received my cheque.

Snowball, patiently waiting in Oz.

Hi Snowball, I am afraid like all good snowballs, your claim must melt into oblivion, as I am a Bradnock (and not just related by ancestry or marriage). I must insist that my claim to all the lands (railway and golf course) is greater than yours, we could of course duel over it, or I could, (as a warm and generous person) agree to a 20/80 share, guess who gets the 20?
Still as we are, even distantly related, I sent you greetings and good wishes anyway.

Hi Snowball
Just seen your post. Your gt.grandfather George had a brother called William who was my 2x GtGrandfather, so I guess we are distantly related.William's daughter Elizabeth was my Gt.Grandmother.

We can share the spoils, but can I have the golf Courses please!!

Coventry kid

Hi Snowball
Just seen your post. Your gt.grandfather George had a brother called William who was my 2x GtGrandfather, so I guess we are distantly related.William's daughter Elizabeth was my Gt.Grandmother.

Coventry kid
Hi Snowball

Coventry kid
Hi Snowball

Coventry kid
William Henry born 1816 was my 3Xgreat grandfather! Elizabeth would be my great x3 Aunt!!
If you want to get in touch my mobile is 07771 686077
Sue

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum. Its not a good idea to put your phone number on a public forum. It can compromise your personal security. We always suggest if people want to get in touch, use the messaging facility

I have been quietly sitting here in Australia waiting for the opportunity to present itself so that I can stake my claim to this mansion and county estate. On the basis that the Bradnock family feature in a very significant manner in my ancestral past I hereby claim all the land, mansions, estates, golf courses, railways and motorways that are within my new found inheritance. Please sell it all and send me the money.

My oldest Bradnock family member that I have traced goes back to William Bradnock b1787 and his wife Esther b1795. Julia Marklew nee Bradnock b 1884 was my grandmother and she lived with us in Birmingham up to 1961 when we emigrated to Australia. Julia's parents were George Bradnock b1839 and his wife Charlotte b1838 and Georges parents were the previously mentioned William and Esther.

Are there any readers of this response that might be connected to my family line ?

Snowball.
Hi there - Henry and Sarah Bradnock emigrated to NZ with there son Henry Bradnock on 1860s and Henry Snr parents were William and Esther. We were always told the Bradnock Marshes were named after our family. I wonder why only one branch came to NZ way back then - any info would be much appreciated. I have a photo of Henry Bradnock Jun I will post but do you any pics or info as once the family arrives in NZ it’s hard to trace back to England.

Back