• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bradley,John & co ltd

Shelagh

Shelagh
I am looking to trace this business,if it went out of business or has continued either as a screw and rivet making business or has moved into another type of business.I have them listed in telephone book in 1973 in Holloway head,Birmingham.
thanks for looking ,Shelagh:rolleyes:

Shelagh,
I believe you are in the right place for a Kelly's look up.
My name is Bradley, and I have John Bradley's in my tree, going back to 1840, originating from Deritend and Bordesley. Do you know the parents of the John Bradley you are asking about?

Ann

Hello Anne,
I believe the name is Daniel married to Elizabeth Nickless/Nicklys
I hope it's the same line, has been a long search.

Shelagh

Shelagh,

I'll have a look and see if there's a connection. Would be great if there were. Ann

No Shelagh, I just said I thought you had posted it in the right place. I would have thought you'd have had an answer by now.
I haven't found a connection, but if you get back a bit further on yours, there may well be one.

Ann

Hi Shelagh Ann has asked me to give you directions
Click Home on the menu above to take you to the main Forum page
Scroll down until you find Birmingham Trade Directories
Under there you will find Kellys
Under there click on 1973
Then create a new thread there with your enquiry
Regards
Mike

Hello all,
I believe that Bradley Cycles in Hope St, Back of Bristol Street are also part of the Bradley Family,both Daniel 1848 and John 1840 involved,I have several contacts that had family working for the cycle part.I believe that daniel the elder and John later were Bradley screws and Rivets.
Does this ring a bell with anyone
Shelagh

Hi Anne
did you have any luck with the John Bradley is it the same one or someone Else,only the Grandfather is not who I thought it was,wonder if you had any ideas
Shelagh:cry:

Hi, I worked at John Bradleys from 1964 to 1967 and learned to run bolt headers and threaders there. There were probably 200 people working there and there were maybe 3 or 4 floors with a lift connecting them. The manager was Mr Clark and his assistant was Wilf Wheat.I remeber some opf the guys that I worked with, Douggie Matts, Les Truscott, Benny Mills, Tommy Lamb, Mike Breen and Clarrie Hadley. Also I worked with Les Smith and we left at the same time to go to GKN on Thimblemill lane in Nechells.

My brother and me both worked at John Bradley & Co Ltd, Holloway Head. I found this thread because he asked me if I could remember the name of the assistant to Mr Clark. I couldn't, but I could see him in my mind. Coincidentally, his nephew came to work on the same group I was with at the GPO. When I saw his name above, Wilf Wheat, I thought "That's it". Well done.

I was an apprentice there from 1959 to 1964. My brother(Bernard) came about 1964. I left in 1965 to go to the GPO which later became BT. I was one of many who took voluntary retirement from BT in 1995. I then worked for Birmingham Council until I was 64. My brother left in 1968 to emigrate to Australia where he married and had four children. He retired this year at 65. He emigrated along with another John Bradley employee, Colin Bonham.

I spent most of my 5 years in No 2 tool room helping to make the dies for the heading & trimming machines. Others in the toolroom were foreman, Billy Wilkinson, Harold, Fred Rogers(no relation). There must have been others who's names I can't remember. Clarrie Hadley, who's wife was my cousin's friend, used to give me a lift home on his Ariel Leader motor cycle. Other apprentices I can recall are Sid Badger & Roy(Satch) Drinkwater.

Most of the names mentioned above ring a bell with me but I'm sorry to say I can't recall a C Birch.

I started at Bradley's in the No 1 tool room. The foreman there was George Cooper. The turner was another George Cooper. On the fitting was Jack Bradley and Ted was the tool grinder for the machine tools. Alongside the tool room was the electrician's workshop where we had lunch time card schools. The electrician's name was Bob, I think, but I can't recall his apprentices name.

The works had a "cricket team", sort of. We went to the BBC Radio Station at Droitwich a few times by coach to play them. I can't remember how we got on. For other local games I can recall travelling, with others, in Mr John's car, a green Morris Oxford, I think.

Fred Rogers used to own an old Francis Barnett motor cycle with the gear change mounted on the side of the petrol tank. During the lunch time he let us lads ride it up and down the barreling shop. Great fun!

I can also remember having to walk home to Quinton a couple of times because of a pea souper fog.

It would be good to hear of other ex employees memories from that period

Mike Rogers

Hi Mike,
You would not remember me as I was only at Bradleys from August 1964 to 1967.I do remember the barreling shop though, Les Smith and I used to creep in there and throw fireworks into the barrels. By the way, the barrels were filled with sawdust in those days so it probably was not the cleverest thing to do but at 15 or 16 years old it seemed lke a good idea at the time.
I remember Colin Bonham's name but not him.I also remember going on a works outing coach trip to Blackpool around 1966 or so, the usual crates of beer on the coach and the drunks all singing on the way back to Brum, great fun and good times back then.
Les Smith saw my post on this site before Christmas and we have been in touch after almost 45 years, we spoke on Skype and had a good laugh at the old days.

:fat:
Charlie Birch

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the reply Charlie. I didn't leave Bradley's until April 1965 so I should remember you but unfortunately I don't. You must have visited the tool room I worked in at some time if you were in the heading shop as we made the tools for the machines, or at least walked past it on the way to the canteen.

Sorry to read I missed out on a trip to Blackpool. I haven't been there since the very early 1960s with my then girl fiend, now my wife, and three or four cousins and friends. My cousin had a Vauxhall Wyvern, with no heater, and a friend had a minivan with a back seat in. We went to the Illuminations spending the night in the cars. Happy Days. I couldn't do it now.

I've been trying to recall a few more names without much success. I think we had a Trevor in the tool room who's wife worked in the canteen. I can picture people but not their names. Hopefully someone else will add a few names from that time.

If I remember any more I'll add them later.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi Mike,
Yes I would have bumped into you for sure as I went through the toolroom. Les Smith and I ran the 3 headers at the bottom the canteen stairs at the entrance to the barrel shop.Me and Les Smith Bradleys 1966.jpgLesSmith at Bradleys.jpg
These two pictures were of my buddy Les Smith sitting on the 3/8 Greenbat and the other is Les and myself sitting on the bench behind our machines.
I remember that Wilf Wheat died while I was at Bradleys so it must have been maybe 1965 or 1966.After I left Bradleys I worked at GKN and then came to Canada in 1974. Small world isn't it?
:cupcake:

Thanks for the pics. I must have been walking round with my eyes shut in those days as neither of you look familiar. I will ask my brother if he recognises either of you.

The the heading machine you saw ahead coming down the stairs from the tool room was a split die machine I think. I thought when I left Bradley's Doug looked after that one and the other two next to it. I used to make all the split dies for the headers.

I have remembered the apprentice electrician was Peter, can't recall his surname. Another apprentice was Brian Darrell, who lived not far from me, and Ted the tool No 1 tool grinder was Ted Yarnell, I believe. Was Sid the storekeeper?

The cricket team I mentioned before was "managed" by the guy who was the patrol inspector. He was situated in an office in the main packing area. They used the same office to hand out your pay on Friday's. Was the name of the guy who looked after the thread rolling machines named Ken? I recall he had a couple of women as well who operated the hand fed thread rollers.

Regards
Mike

:fat:The split die was a 3/8 Greenbat Universal, could run either solid or split dies but ran split dies most of the time. I trained with Douggie Matts on that one and also the other two machines that you mentioned.After Doug left Bradley's Les smith and I ran the 3 machines as we were both still training but betwen us we could do it between us.
I dont remember the apprentices but the inspector and his little office I can recall. I think he was a prety big guy and wore a brown "cow Gown" and he also organized the works outings at that time.He might have been the sort of social club guy maybe?
I remember that we could order our breakfast in the mornings and I was the one, being just a 15 year old kid, who had to go around the department and take the orders. Then at break time two women would bring the food down from the canteen and hand it out from a little office in the heading shop near the lift doors while serving tea from a huge tea urn. The hot bacon sandwiches and the thick buttered toast still stick in my mind,the taste and smell were delicious, those were the days.
On Saturday mornings we would work 4 hours overtime and there was top of the pops on the radio. we had those huge speakers, called a Tannoy system and could hear the music through them over the top of the noise of the machines running. Great times indeed, life was so simple then.
Regards,
Charlie

Things must have changed just after I left. I don't remember the canteen doing a delivery service. We didn't get Top of the Pops either. All we got was Worker's Playtime I think it was. Just read in Wiki that Worker's Playtime stopped in 1964. I remember the tannoy calling out "Calling Mr Clark" or some other person that was wanted urgently.

When I started in 1959 I was paid £2.50 a week. The 4 hours on Saturday morning earned an extra 7-8 shillings or so. When I left in April 1965 I was getting £15.00 a week. I went to Post Office Telephones for £17.50 a week. That wouldn't buy me three gallons of petrol today.

I'm sorry to say my brother doesn't remember you or Les Smith either. When did you actually start in 1964 Charlie? I would have thought my brother would have known you. He was there about the same length of time as you. He was there from 1964 to 1968, pretty much the same as you. He must have a bad memory!

I've surprised myself remembering what I have. I drove past the factory a month or two ago and told my granddaughter, I worked there over 50 years ago. I think the building is being used by a mobile communications company these days. How much of the build they use I don't know.

I started at Bradleys right out of school, I left school on a Friday in July 1964 and was working on the Monday. I went to Lea Mason school and the assistant headmaster, Mr Stephenson, knew Mr Clark so he got two of us into Bradleys.The other one was Lennie Cash, he only lasted a few weeks and quit.
I think we started on about 2 pounds 10 shillings for a 48 hour week but I managed to get that up to a fiver by getting a job at Thomas Eaves down the street. I had no intention of leaving but when Mr Clark heard I was leaving he gave me more money, it was a great dodge and lots of people did it.
There was a kid that started just after I did, his name was Tony Gisevisious or something but you probably wouldn't know him.
Tell your brother that Les Smith worked with Clarrie Hadley for a year or two on the small headers over in the corner, he might remember him then.
Regards,
Charlie

I'm intrigued by the name Lennie Cash. In the 1970s until I finished in 1995 I was in charge of a group of electricians when I worked for BT. One of them was a Lennie Cash. I doubt he would have been the same person. If he was 15 in 1964 he would have been in his early 30s at the start of the 1980s so the age is about right. It would be nice to know. I meet up with old BT colleagues from time to time. If I bump into him I will ask if he worked at Bradley's in the 1960s.

I don't recall the lad named Tony, sorry.

Reading your last post I realised I mixed up old money with new in my previous post. Like you I started on £2.10 shillings in 1959. If you got the same in 1964 it's clearly obvious the pay didn't go up much, if at all, in those days.

I don't suppose you recall the name George Rogers do you? He was a patrol inspector at Heath Street GKN during the 1960-70s. He was my Dad.

I shall have to dig out a photo of me from around 1964 if I can find one to see if you recognise me.

I think that you have the right Lennie Cash. If I remeber correctly he did leave to become an apprentice electrician somewhere.It would be an amazing coincidence if he ended up working with you but I would bet money that it is him.
I didn't know anyone at Heath Street GKN so would not have known your dad at all.Another name that comes to mind was an irish kid who started just after me in the Headers, his name was Desmond Corcoran.The other names that I remember were Benny Mills, Tommy Lamb, Les Truscott, Mickey Breen,Douggie Matts, a geordie working on the steel bar stores named Basil.
Regards,
Charlie

Hi Charlie

I haven't seen or heard about Lennie Cash for over 17 years now. I do have a 17 year old phone number for him so I may give it a try. I have him in my old BT book as L W Cash. Does that sound right to you?

I don't recall Desmond Corcoran, Mickey Breen or Basil, but Benny Mills sounds familiar. What did he work on? I do remember Les Truscott, Tommy Lamb & Douggie Matts. Do you remember the name of the chap who looked after the trimming machines? I can see him in my mind but the name eludes me. There was also an older guy, I think his name was Jack, who worked on his own on the old smaller heading machines that were against the side wall next to Clarrie Hadley's machines.

Hi Mike,
I only knew him as Lennie but I would bet it is him.Benny Mills was a little old grey haired guy, looked one of the seven dwarfs and he worked on the 1/4 machines next to Les Truscott, right in front of the canteen stairs. He had an ulcer perforate at work one day and there was blood everywhere, it was an awful mess and he never came back to work after that.I don't remember anyone else, sorry.
Regards,
Charlie

Hi Charlie

I can't picture Benny Mills and I certainly don't recall the mishap he had. The name sounds familiar though.

I spoke to my brother yesterday and he told me about the time Douggie Matts came to work on a moped. It wasn't running too well and my brother helped him to try and sort it out. They ran that up and down the barreling shop too. He said he was known as Bunny(Bernard) at Bradley's, if that helps.

The 17 year old phone number I had for Lennie Cash was number unobtainable. I will have see if any other ex colleagues have a number for him.

Mike

Hi , I worked at John Bradley from Aug 61 started in maintenance toolroom under George Cooper I remember Ted on the grinder George Lamb the fitter. Maurice Cruckshank had just finished his apprenticeship and they offered him a 10 shilling a week increase !!Other memories are Bob Bettin who always turned on the compressor like a robot at start time. I will never forget Johny Crocket who left work to take his motorbike test and passed on retuning to work opened up the throttle in the heading shop and fell off. If anyone is interested I have a few more names and tales.Bob

When I started my apprenticeship at Bradley's in April 1959 I too was placed in the No 1 toolroom with George Cooper, George Lamb, Jack Bradley & Ted. Can't recall Ted's surname. Next door was the electricians workshop with Bob the electrician and apprentice Peter. Bob was always smoking a pipe. I did a spell in that toolroom then moved to No 2 toolroom where I found my vocation and stayed there until I left in April 1965. I remember Maurice Cruikshank too.

Did you ever take part in the cricket matches we had with other teams? We went to play the BBC a few times at their ground at the Droitwich transmitter site. We went by coach and made a day of it. For the local games in Birmingham parks some of us went in Mr John's green Morris Oxford. Mr Clark took a few too. The cricket was organised by the guy who worked in the inspector's office on the ground floor, I can't recall his name, it may have been Len.

I'd be interested in any more tales you may have.

Mike (Rogers)

Hi Mike, I am afraid my career with Bradley's what not as successful as yours, I started in 1961 but got disillusioned being a naive 15 yr old boy. So I did not sign up for the apprenticeship I think I worked there for about 1 year. I did a spell in the auto shop which gave me the tinnitus I have had ever since. Sadly I was never a sportsman and knew nothing of then cricket played there. I will look back now to what tales I gave on joining this site so I do not bore you. I will come back to you when I have checked this out. So good to hear from you. Cheers for now Bob

I worked with Doug on the 3/8 heading machine , I remember it was fairly new and a light grey colour. I can also remember a noisy old Warterbury Farrel cold former run by someone called Tommy I think. Great pictures these.

Back