• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bradley Buildings

shaznki

Hi
Would anyone have any info on the following
Bradley Buildings, Union Street West Bromwich.

My 3rd Gt Grandmother Lydia Green was listed as living there on the 1871 Census. Would it have been a boarding House or a Workhouse.
Any info would be very much appreciated.

Shaznki

I think it is quite likely to be a court of back to backs or something similar - may be just a terrace of houses all built or owned by Bradley (whoever he was). Remember way back to about 1840 houses had not got numbers, so they were identified by their names. If you look in any of the Post Office Annuaires, you will see what I mean. (In your local library there should be one for your locality, they are all similar).

Shortie

Shaznki
Two pages further on from Lydia's entry is the Red Lion. This is on hte corner of Kendrick St, and just shown as PH on map below. . Going back from that (I am fairly sure, but not absolutely certain census is from west end of road). the is the court with buildings in red is the most likely identity of Bradley Buildings. All the courts along this road are named xxxx Buildings . this is supported by the presence of The Talbot pub at about the right position for the corner of lower trinity St in the other direction. I am not sure exactly where the Talbot was, but many pubs were on corners, so that would fit.
Mike

map_c_1890_union_st_west_brom_poss_Bradley_buildings.jpg

Thankyou to everyone who took time to read and reply. The maps brilliant thanks Mikejee.
Much appreciated
Shaznki

Back