• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bradley [Bradders]

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
:) A few pictures of our little dog we adopted six months ago from Tewksbury. Supposed to be a fostering till his owner recovered. But unfortunately she died the day after. Wouldn't part with him now. TTFN. Jean. :)

Jean he is adorable.

It must have been fate that brought you together.

Bradders.

:):) Thanks Fay. Hope things are ok your end. His name is not one we would have chose but his owner Dorothy named him after the vet at Foley Gardens Tewksbury. The other vet there moved from Sutton Coldfield Tim Partridge. It was through his mother in law Jean Fisher we got to hear about him. Brad the vet promissed Dorothy he would find a good home for him if it got that she could no longer cope with him. We keep in touch with her family sending photo's now and again. Have you heard of Jean Fisher?. She rescues a lot of animals and has done so for years. We help her out with Xmas raffles etc. Bye for now. Jean. :) ps. some pics of other pets I used to have. Need a book to put all of them on.

Hi Jean

Lovely pictures.

I haven't heard of Jean Fisher before - it's good that there are people who care enough about animals to rescue them and make sure they are cared for.

Tim Partridge I know - have met him a couple of times in a professional capacity.

On a personal front, things not good here at all - I know we will have to make the inevitible decision within the next 24 hours.

The latest photo's of Brad scrounging in the kitchen as usual. Have to be careful with his weight though. He' eat for England if you let him. Decided not to get him scalped but just trimmed. TTFN. Jean. Sends his loveto Starr.:0422:

Jean,
My maiden name is Bradley, and when dad was at work he was called Brad or Bradders. My nephew is also known as Bradders. So I had to look at this adorable little chap, our namesake. The photo of yourself with the rabbit and tortoise reminded me of myself. My rabbit was Musty and my tortoise (who used to come on holiday with us) was Joey. Later I had a goat named Penny and a horse I fed and watered named Jill. Now I just have a little cat I took in named Tilly. Lovely to see your photos. Ann
p.s. I'll see if I can find the photo of Joey on holiday!

Anne. Can't wait to see your photo's. I still have my teo tortoises they are called Fred and Speed. Used to kjeep horses too. Couldn't afford anything else though. Just mess about with my friends to keep my hand in. Bye. Jean.

Jean, Just to clarify, I never owned horses, but back in the days when I used to have some pennies (ah yes I remember it well) I lived in Catherine de Barnes and we owned a large field. A man used to pay us rent to keep his horses on the land and I ended up feeding and watering them. I loved them, but I can't even ride. I did once up the Lickey's, till I fell off! Anyway, found the file with Joey the tortoise on holiday in Evesham. I think we both love our animals. Ann

What a lovely childhood you had Anne and a lovely photo. My uncle kept pigs ferrets and every sort of fowl you can think of and Prince the pony. I loved that part of my childhood. One day [night] a fox went through most of the hens etc eating some and killing the rest for a feed another time. But I suppose it is nature at it's worst. Bye. Jean.

He is getting better by the day Alberta. I am still waiting for a poem his previous owner [aged 94] wrote just before she died. Proberbly will upset us but sometimes when he does things like playing you up [raiding my hadbag and running off with my hanky] I imagine him doing that to Dorothy. Some people say a dogs memory is very short and yet when we visit our friends and Bill calls his wifes name Dorothy his little head shoots up. Hope you and Steve are keeping well. Jean.

This came through the post this morning from a relative of Brads previous owner. It's a poem she had framed and put on her wall. TO MY DOG. You are one in a million,and special to me: affectionate loyal, such good company, you're there when i'm lonely and life seems a bore, you cheer me and offer a comforting paw. The look in your eyes says you quite understand as you thrust a bewhiskered wet nose in my hand. You never dessert me wherever I go, you're a far better friend than some people I know. To thank you, I give you this short monologue, My faithful devoted companion, my dog. Isn't it lovely and so true in many cases. Jean.

Last edited:
Another thing came through the post yesterday with regards to Brads previous home. It was from Betty an 84 year old lady who used to take him for a toddle every day. She shed a lot of tears the day Brad was taken away but she felt she was too old to take him on. I have promissed to keep in touch and we sent her quite a few photo's over the last year. We are going to make a calender for her and send it next week. Jean.

These are two more of my pets. The cat Tibby [piddy] I found when a boy from our neighbourhood in Aston was swinging him round with the rope tied about his neck. I gave him such a punch Frank Bruno would have been proud of. I picked him up [the cat] and carried him home. The poor thing had got the cat flu on top of what he had been through but with TLC and the PDSA he pulled through and lived to be at least eighteen years old. The other is Pip a dog that had been locked in a flat for a week was dehydrated and cold when the landlord found her. Good job the tennants who had done a bunk had a pre payed electric meter. That's how she was discoverd when the meter was due to be emptied. She also lived to be about eighteen give or take a year. Didn't know eithers exact age when they found us. Jean.

Re two posts back. With regards to Betty Clements I sent her photo's of Brad and filled her in on what he's been up to lately. I recieved unopened the envelope with the photo's in and a note on the back saying she had passed away. If only she could have seen what we had sent her and the thank you for her lovely card and gift to Brad. We did send her a card before Xmas which crossed in the post with her gift. Jean.

What a shame Jean. Very sad that she didn't get to see your letter. Chin up.

All the best Ann

It is Anne but I'm right peed off with the mail as it has been going from one place to another for two weeks. I sent lots of photo's last year but it was lovely that she sent both Brad and ourselves a card and a presi for him that he keeps hiding. I will be very annoyed if the post messed it up and she could have seen his photo's and our latest news about his antics. Pete put one in a frame for her and another one for her purse. I have always had a guilty feeling that he should have moved in with Betty who walked him every day for Dorothy but because of her age she said it wouldn't have been fare. She was right and made a selfless decision. We had planned visiting in the spring and surprising her with the help of people who are still in touch from that end. Well what is to be will be. Jean.

I expect part of her did want to take him on Jean. But, she knew it was for the best, for you to have him. And, as you said, she was right. She probably worried at her age, that he would be left again. At least she had the card from you for xmas and the photos last year. And also she knew he had gone to a very good home.

Ann

Jean,as Norma says Brad is beautiful.
I heartily agree that people need to give homes to rescue dogs.

We are not at the stage where we feel able to have another dog after losing our beloved Katie,we still have Busby who is very tiny and 10 years old and we do not know how he will react to another dog in the household.
I have always had pedigree dogs either Yorkies or Boxers.
I still occasionally look at dog sites and the prices are getting silly,£600 plus for a puppy when there are thousands of dogs in rescue centres wanting good homes.
Steve and I have decided that when the time is right we will have a rescue dog.
If everyone did the same it would stop this dreadful trade of puppy breeding.
I saw an advert for 4 different breeds of puppies all for sale in the same place with the same telephone number.
A nice little earner for someone.

Back