• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bowens

I wondered why they had their shutters down in Chelmsley shopping centre, thats who i book my twice yearly holiday to Malta with, will have to go back to the Co-op, next door but one, what a shame. Eric

Another piece of coaching history lost probably due to the recession. I worked for Stocklands when Bowens took them over, sad times even then.

Yep

In Administration. £5-£6 mil in the Red. Fuel Costs Insurance as others have said the recession.
These Holidays and Trips always look relatively good Value for Money with virtual House pick up.
A sorry day for all of us. Our local one Johnson's doubles up by running some Bus routes and the
School runs. Took us to Chatsworth on a day trip.

mike jenks

Had no experience of them as a coach company (always preferred trains or my car) but have used them as a travel agents for the last few years and found them very helpful and efficient, shopping around for the best deal for me, feel sorry for the staff at Chelmsley Wood who I had got know. Oh well, back to the Co-op. Eric

Why do they all go bust just on top of Xmas, I now its bad any time,but sems so much worse at this time of year - same for the car workers in Southampton, one of my friends husband is being made redundant from there and with little prospect of getting a job, their home will be on the line too.
Bowens have always been a regular fixture roundTamworth and at one time were the only coaches you saw for all the trips, including our school ones, but recently Solus have taken over or appear to, cheaper to hire, as we found out for the rugby tour. Like Eric, I used to use Bowens travel agents until it closed when they pulled down the shoppingprecinct it was situated in.
Sue

Hi

Yep cheaper competition starts it off. Once the competitors have been annihilated put up
your prices. Sounds like The Gas and Electric.
Its not an easy one the huge Supermarket Giants v the Corner shop.
A lot of going out of bushiness especially with Travel Companies is in effect they have had
all the Holiday bookings and often have a lot of the later on things Xmas Shopping etc.
By pulling the plug now for this year anyway they have in as much cash as they can.
Its a real old cruel world out there.

Mike Jenks

Sad to hear of old bowens closeing down and finished as we all know they served birmingham for many a donkeys years
over the years and when they started way back in time and there big head office on stratford rd and and there garage
and there big garage had many a week end trips to liverpool way back in the fiftys with them ;
i think flights was the no 1 tour operaters then bowens i do not when or how they started there bussiness
i think also in the berkerly rd hay mills was another yard in the sixties a small little office and yard for thre coaches
i knew that the flights empire started by there grt grand father whom was a rag and bone man in the 1800s
and got the little yard in victoria rd aston ; then opened up a little garage shed for the early cars of that period and
a century a two on one of the grandsons started to expand the yard to a bigger garage and started to sell petrol
and the rest history sad loss to birmingham ;regarding bowens ;
best wishes astoian;;

That's a great idea Mike. So many people in Brum have memories of Bowen's Coaches. Sad it's no more or will be.

Bowens Administration

Sad to read today about the above news. Awful time of the year for any business to fail ,let alone one who has served the Midlands so well over the years.I worked for Les Bowen in the 60s when his depot ran from Cotterills lane, his fleet then consisted of 6 A.E.C.s with Harrington bodies.In 1967 he purchased a 53 seater A.E. C. Plaxton .There were 7 drivers then Robert Hall.Ron Smallwood, Johnny Willavize,John Robinson ,Phil Turner,Dave Evans & myself. The work was all Excusion &Tour work ,Express services and Willenhall, Wolverhampton , Cradley Heath dog tracks mid week nights.The coaches were looked after mechanically by a man called Wally Stillgoe who was very thorough and methodical, his son Micheal looked after the small car service and repair bay on the garage forecourt. The office was run by two ladies Joyce and Marjorie, with Bernard office manager who i believe was Les Bowens son in law. Les himself was a very broad shouldered,stocky man who always wore a trilby and a liking for cigars.He drove a light two tone brown Bentley and lived in a corner plot between The Fox and Goose and The Hunters Moon.
He was a gentleman to work for and unlike some firms of that era treated his staff with courtesy and consideration .My commiserations to all the staff who will lose their jobs and good luck to getting another .
I sincerley hope you leave with as many happy memories as i have

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bowens Administration

When Bowens bought out Stocklands one of our drivers became the transport manager (Geoff ?) unfortunately I had started work at Shell Mex & BP by then and no longer had the time to carry on part time driving, boy did I miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember going to Blackpool on Bowens Coaches in the...late 40s/early 50s. They had side cab coaches back then with Dennis engines...mmm and they could move a bit. I think the name painted on the back of them was L.F. Bowen. I see that a Wally Stillgoe is mentioned and if this is the same Stillgoe I think he had a coach of his own and lived on the road above The Swan on Washwood Heath Road...just below the bus and tram terminous. Now, Stillgoe is not a name that you see often and I might have been in school with his son maybe. This would have been a Michael Stillgoe and he played on the school soccer team with me...centre half as I recall. This would have been Leigh Road Juniors. Hmm. 64 years ago...it seems like yesterday.

Was there a garage in Victoria road many years ago Rupert?. Pete thinks there was but I can't remember. Jean.

What awful news another long established family firm gone to the wall. My brother and sister in law have booked to go to Scotland for New Year with them. He is not well and I know this will upset him...terrible.

Thanks Nickcc I thought it wasn't Bowens but would not say until I was certain.

Last edited:
Back