• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bow Street- Brick Warehouse

BrianHawkins

Brummie babby
Hi, Just joined the Forum!.

I work at Keane Brands at 6-10 Bow Street B1 1DW and we are trying to find out more about our building and the land directly around.
The building is a 4 floor brick warehouse and one of very few surviving pre 60s buildings in this area. It is just down from the Windmill Street junction on the right hand side
There is a carpark to the left hand side of the building with a brick retaining wall behind.
We have heard that it had something to do with cardboard boxes and there has been talk of it as a suit or coat makers but we dont really know. Who worked here and when.
Part of the building may have been demolished too and many people here believe the building is haunted.
From old maps it looks like there has been a building on the land since at least 1778.

Any help or old photographs would be fantastic.

Many thanks,

Brian.

Hi Brian, Welcome to the forum. I don't know the area you are asking about but I'm sure the lovely people on here will soon be sending you loads of information. Anne

Hi Brian

I don't think your building is a great deal older than the 60's because there wasn't a great deal commercial wise happening on that side of the street before the 50's as far as I can make out. Here are two extracts from Kelly's one for 1950 and the other for 1962. I knew G.W.Stokes Ltd the shopfitters whe were in the building then and they moved to Alcester and then Droitwitch.

BOW STREET (1), 26
Windmill street to Irving street.MAP F 5.
Hopkins H. A. Ltd. Mantle mfrs
St. Asaph's School (mixed &infants)
here are Irving& Little Bow streets ......
SOUTH SIDE.
Boulton & Paul Ltd. wire
fencing mfrs
St. Catherine's Roman CatholicSchool (mixed)
(C. Smith, head master)

BOW STREET (1), 26
Windmill street to Irvingstreet.MAP F 5.
RIGHT SIDE.
6 Stokes G. W. & Son Ltd, shop& office fitters
7/20 Trill Godfrey C . Ltd.scrapmetal mers
Pickavant J. W. & Co. Ltd. garage equipment mfrs' (Apkaway works)

here are Irving & Little Bow streets
LEFT SIDE.
St. Catherine's Roman Catholic S ch o ol (mixed)
Bow HOUSE :
Johnson & Phillips Ltd.electrcl.engnrs
here are steps toLittle Bow st ...

Thanks Phil, the building seems much older than that but you may be right. I noticed an old post entitled 'Man in Entry' I dont know whether anybody has a copy of it. It would be great to know what the pub on the corner of Bow Street and Windmill Street was called. I also saw something about a dog pound, does that ring any bells with anyone?

Brian
Here is a large scale map of Bow St c 1889, which shows the pub as the Wheatsheaf

Map_c_1889_Bow_St.jpg

Thats fantastic, thanks. I assume the courts marked are just terraced houses?
If as in Irving Street they will be 'Back to Back' and 'Single' (not sure what the correct term would be?) houses. They could also be said to be terraces but not sure that was the usual term - anyone?

The brick style of the building, if I have correct one, looks contemporary with Lucas at Gt Hampton Street. It looks like an older style of Bond compared to the Stretcher Bond used on the later building occupied by The Samaritans (at the time Google Street View visited).

Back