• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bournville Employment Records

timborunner

Hi there,

I've discovered that some of my relatives lived at 11 Holly Grove, Bourneville, nr Laburnum Road from about 1927-1946

I assume this would have been a "trust" house? owned by Bourneville/Cadburys?

Were there any "qualifications" to live there? Would they have had to work at Bourneville/Cadburys?

Does anybody know if there are any employment records for Bourneville/Cadburys surviving for this time?

Many thanks,
Tim

Re: Bourneville Employment Records

There were some company-owned houses on the Bournville estate, but most were leasehold, which enabled restrictive covenants to be enforced by the Village Trust, which owned the land. It was not a necessity to work for Cadburys. That said, some (at least) of the houses in Holly Grove were built by Cadbury's to house their firemen. don't know which ones or how many.

Re: Bourneville Employment Records

Mike has nailed this already but Ill just add a little more.

The Bourneville trust was not built as homes for the workforce, but was set up as a separate entity to Cadburys to provide social housing. I understand that the rents were quite high for the time, however so were the rents for the Holmes developments too in Garrison Lane, built by Birmingham Council, and some say had the effect of excluding some of the less well off.

If you take a walk around Bourneville trust, you can see that they experimented with several different types of housing construction, brick, blocks, concrete and wood. There are also a number of 'eco' homes in Bourneville lane that were called the sunshine houses. Built in the 1920's with small windows on the north facing walls, large windows on the south.

Hi there,

I've discovered that some of my relatives lived at 11 Holly Grove, Bourneville, nr Laburnum Road from about 1927-1946

I assume this would have been a "trust" house? owned by Bourneville/Cadburys?

Were there any "qualifications" to live there? Would they have had to work at Bourneville/Cadburys?

Does anybody know if there are any employment records for Bourneville/Cadburys surviving for this time?

Many thanks,
Tim

Did you ever contact "anyone" at Bournville re Employee records. I am trying to find some records of my relatives and cant seem to find where to try and access this information.

Same here, there was a post somewhere that a member posted of who to contact, but can´t find it now, i have been looking and trying for about 4 years now to try and get my Grandparents and my Mothers records if they ever existed, if you find info please post

Same here, there was a post somewhere that a member posted of who to contact, but can´t find it now, i have been looking and trying for about 4 years now to try and get my Grandparents and my Mothers records if they ever existed, if you find info please post
Someone, somewhere must know who to contact. I was told to contact Kraft Information officer but sent an email to a [email protected] but email came back as “undeliverable “ - she has obviously left the Company.

Cadburys were taken over by Kraft , but the company then split into Kraft and Mondelez, Mondelez including Cadbury, so probably all old kraftfood addresses are defunct. Afraid I do not know the present equivalent

Back