• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bordesley Park Road

hi naughty please feel free to copy any of the photos posted on the forum...sorry i cant help with the exact location of that photo but hopefully someone maybe able to assist you..:)

lyn

Hi all, help required please. The 1939 register shows my aunt and uncle as manageress and barman at 42 Bordesley Park road, could anyone help me with the name of the public house at this address.

Moss

I think the Pub was called The Prince Arthur at the top of Bordesley Park Road into Arthur Street Moss, but I was not around in those days Moss so I may not be 100% correct. The Pub would probably stand between where Darnel Croft/Basset Croft are today.

I am a little doubtful if no 42 was ever a pub. Up to 1892 Kellys showed the premises as a shop. In Sept. 1892 Elizabeth Bryant was granted a licence to sell alcohol off the premises (an off-licence). From then Kellys only lists the premises as a beer seller. This could be an off licence or a beerseller (a pub only able to sell beer and cider on the premises). However even after 1955 Kellys lists it as a beer seller, and by that time it usually meant only an off licence. Most remaining beerhouses (to my knowledge) were actually named in Kellys by then, though I am not certain of it. The Censuses from 1900 and 1910 give no name, though this is not definite evidence either way. My instinct is that she ran the off licence and was not a bar manager as we would think of the term.

Thanks each, the register from 1939 shows aunt Claire as manageress (licensed premises) which may have been an off licence, and uncle George ( barman) this was his occupation but of course he may have been employed elsewhere.
Mike do you know if the off license premises is shown on any of the pictures on this thread?

I do not think that it is shown in any of these photos. The position of it is shown in red on the map below
map c1950 showing 42 bordesley park road.jpg

Hello All. I am requesting help to find more information to give my Dad for his family history book. My Dad's family is from Birmingham. I have copies of my grandparents birth certificates. On my Nanny's certificate it shows she was born 27 Oct 1899 17 Bordesley Terrace Bordesley Park Road. I have not been able to find any other information or pictures. If anyone could please give me more information about this address, it would be greatly appreciated. My great grandparents were Albert Wain and Charlotte Wagg. He was a Railway Coach Examiner. My Nanny's name was Regina Jessica Wain.

Stacey
Could it have been Bordesley Park Terrace rather than Bordesley Terrace? If so, then this is marked in green on the c1889 map below

map c1889 showing Bordesley Park Terrace, bordesley Park Road.jpg

Stacey
Could it have been Bordesley Park Terrace rather than Bordesley Terrace? If so, then this is marked in green on the c1889 map below

View attachment 144868
Hi Mikejee. Thank you for the reply and the map. The birth certificate shows 17 Bordesley Terrace Bordesley Park Road. Maybe it was written down incorrectly or it doesn't exist now. I am enclosing a picture of the registration document. If you are correct and it is the location marked on that map...does this residence still exist? I would love to get a picture of the front of the terrace home to show my dad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 95810406_773911106346585_3779783404749324288_n.jpg
    95810406_773911106346585_3779783404749324288_n.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 96693970_962956437457121_8792206321618255872_n.jpg
    96693970_962956437457121_8792206321618255872_n.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
No it does not now exist. It survived till after WW2 and is shown on maps. I can add one thing to the map below. No 17 is the house in the terrace marked in blue. I wondered if the father might still be in the same place in the 1901 census, but the person at 17 Bordesley Park Terrace in 1901 was William Wagstaff , who was 21 with 20 year old wife, and likely not to have been there in 1901. In 1891 it was Walter Chaplin, so no evidence to show if Bordesley terrace and Bordesley Park Terrace were the same or not

map c1889 showing no 17 Bordesley Park Terrace, bordesley Park Road (1).jpg

Hi Mike. I am a bit confused at this point. I am not very familiar with how things are named in England. I am Canadian. From what I can gather it looks like a Terrace is a name we give to a small close shared foundation of joined tall houses which we call a townhouse complex. If the address is 17 Bordesley Terrace....is this a Terrace home that runs off Bordesley Park Road? What town/ward/region is this in? Is the road directly under the dot Bordesley Park Road? If I was looking at a current day map, where would the green dot be today? I have enclosed a map of where I think it is. Please correct me if I am wrong. I spoke to my dad this evening and he told me that his parents met during WW1 and were married in the church down the road they were living on. They lived in Burton on Trent. The street was called All Saints Road and that his Mum's parents moved from Bordesley to All Saints after 1918 and then came with them to Canada in 1920. So I believe their names can still be found. I was starting this project off with finding pictures of the places they were born and then moved to.

Attachments

• 17 Bordesley Park.jpg
    17 Bordesley Park.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 13
Stacey.
In addition to the houses on directly on streets in Birmingham there were often groups of houses off the main streets. Sometimes they were a long line of houses (or perhaps two lines facing each other) which led directly off the street sometimes as a group around a central courtyard, often entered only through a narrow covered entry. either of these could be called terraces or courts. these terraces or courts could be named almost anything, more usually with no reference to the name of the street. The fact that the terrace in this case (either bordesleyTerrace or Bordesley Park Terrace ) is not particularly usual.
These were numbered separately from the street numbering. Bordesley Park Terrace is next to no 128 Bordesley Park road, as can be seen on the later c1950 map below. It can be a bit more complicate than this sometimes as sometimes the courts are just numbered and sometimes they are described as a number behind the street house (ie, no 2 back 150 which would be house 2 in the court entered by an entry next to no 150 on the street), but this is not so in this case and I only mention it in case you come across it at some later date . I hope that has made the numbering a little clearer.

With regard to the exact position. I show the position of no 17 Bordesley Park Terrace as at the point of the red arrow in the googlemaps view below. . It can be accessed at https://goo.gl/maps/7Yp4Q6BdUFanrQvR7 (I assume here that the link takes you to the same place when use din Canada as here)

map c1950 showing bordesley Park Terrace.jpgGooglemaps showing where 17  bordesley park terrace was.jpg

Hi Mike. Thank you very much for all the information and maps. I really appreciate all the help you have given me. I sent my Dad an email with everything I have found out so far. He printed it all for our project. Wish he started this when his parents were still around. He says the old folks/family did not like to talk about the past. Very hard times they went through. Plus war was something his relatives just kept quiet about. Thanks again!

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me, does anyone know the name of the Butchers that was on Bordesley park road back in 1965? or the name of the family?

Back