• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bordesley Park Road

as promised folks a few photos of bordesley park road..i think that a couple of them are of bolton road taken from BPR but those of you who know the area will be able to tell better..if there are no objections i shall move this thread to the streets and neighbours section of the forum..

lyn

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 022.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 022.JPG
    674.8 KB · Views: 145
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 023.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 023.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 126
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 024.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 024.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 122
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 025.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 025.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 124
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 026.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 026.JPG
    501.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
next 5

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 027.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 027.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 103
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 028.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 028.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 97
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 029.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 029.JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 99
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 030.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 030.JPG
    759.2 KB · Views: 97
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 031.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 031.JPG
    452.2 KB · Views: 94
last 2

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 032.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 032.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 89
  • PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 034.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 034.JPG
    468.1 KB · Views: 87
Brilliant photos Lyn, I have only ever seen one of them before. They look like something Mike would have taken though I realise they are not his as I don't think he covered the Small heath area and they would have been a little later than when Mike was on the prowl.

thanks phil and yes deffo not mikes...i think it was 3 of them taken in the 50s and 60s the rest a bit later....had a good look at pic one and noticed something that i have seen before on the odd photo including one of my villa st but would love to know just what it means and why folk would do it..i think to see what i am on about you would need to save that pic and zoom in close..half way up the photo on the right hand side..

Last edited:
happy to post them stevie and michael...glad they bring back memories for you both...

lyn

thanks phil and yes deffo not mikes...i think it was 3 of them taken in the 50s and 60s the rest a bit later....had a good look at pic one and noticed something that i have seen before on the odd photo including one of my villa st but would love to know just what it means and why folk would do it..i think to see what i am on about you would need to save that pic and zoom in close..half way up the photo on the right hand side..

Great photos, Lyn; am impressed by the carefully drawn graffito in the fourth picture on post 62. But I can't see what you mean about picture one - give us a

clue...

ha ha i thought someone would notice that...click on pic 1 3 times and on the right written on what looks like a piece of card is the word nazi with swaztikas also written on each corner...could have just been kids hankying about but ive also thought it a strange thing to see in england so soon after the war ended..as i said earlier i have seen the same sort of thing on a couple of other old photos i have....its just an observation really

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn are we talking about the photo of the terrace or the junction of Bolton Rd & Bordesley Park Rd, because to be honest I can't see anything on either?

yes phil pic 1 of the terrace..you will see the sign just above the old tin bath on the right...i posted on the left before will edit my post..

Yes: well spotted, Lyn. Perhaps it was used as a target for an airgun.

lol viewfinder that is a possibility..just in case you are wondering on your previous post it says ive edited it...i didnt of course i meant to quote it..think i will go and have a rest and cuppa now...

lyn

Last edited:
Your eyesight's better than mine Lyn. Even after you pointed it out In couldn't see it till steviejomes put the enlargement up

Our old house on bordesley pk rd No 127 4th house away from the corner on right. Bordesley Park Rd towards Carrington rd.jpg this is enlarged from a pic lyn posted it was higher resolution than what was on here already so was able to zoom in, so thanks Lyn. Michael

happy to help michael and how good is it that you have your old house...like i always say...if you look long enough they are out there somewhere....

lyn

Fully agree mhemery, indeed mc'gauleys sold bikes, toys, toys, and toys all sorts of interesting stuff, and more bikes. Fantastic shop prior to the bulldozer. Just out of interest went in their lots to buy our footballs, and for cricket, balls, bats ect.

glad you like them redken...as long as my photos bring back memories then i am happy

all the best

lyn

Thank you so much Astoness for posting these, They are treasured memories from a child to an aldult. A little tear and a little smile. If its ok with you I have saved these for my family to see on my fb. Again thank you I have been looking forever to find some of the shots you have placed here. God bless.

crikey redken you are making me cry now but i do understand how you feel...so pleased you loved the photos and yes by all means save them and pass them around the family and keep watching because if i find anymore i shall post them

all the best

lyn

My maternal grandmother Madeline (Madge) Portch and her family lived at 299 Bolton Road. She was definitely living there in March 1921 as I have a receipt with her address and date on it. I think her mum continued to live there after Grandma married. She and granddad (Henry Rowley) moved to 60 Grace Road, finally moving to 18 Mapleton Road, Hall Green. I never got to see the two earlier houses, but at least Mapleton Rd is still there!

Wow these pictures that Lynn posted are fantastic and very nostalgic, on the one photo (with the 28 Bus going under the Bridge towards Town) this was taken from where my parents lived..or near enough. We moved into the area in 1973 when the new estate was built on Bordesley Park Road which became an extention of Bolton Road all the way to Arthur Street and Herbert Road, not much of Bordesley Park Road exists now only a little bit that goes into Macdonalds. I remember them building the A45 bypass which kind of split Bolton Road into two sections as kids we played on the huge concrete pipes which were placed on the old Butler Street site for many months in the early 80's during construction of the bypass, I had a school friend who lived on Miles Street until it was demolished between 1984 and 1985 around the same time The Plume of Feathers The Horse and Jockey Beamish Close were also demolished, I watched them demolish The Plume of Feathers I was about 14/15 at the time, history disappeared before my eyes.

hello cheeky and a warm welcome ...so pleased you like the photos and history has re appeared thanks to the camera:)

enjoy the forum

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn I was cheeky from the post 86 up above, had problems with my account and log in, just to say thank you for posting those pictures of Bolton Road and Bordesley Park Road...better late than never.

Hi Lyn and thanks for the welcome to the forum, I have a picture that you posted some time ago on the forum (I took a naughty copy hope you don't mind?), but I can't find it now for love nor money, when originally posted it came under the Bordesley Park Road section of pics, what I would like to know if you could tell me from which direction the photo is showing, I am not sure if it's looking from Bolton Road/Butler Street up towards Carrington Road/Arthur Street or it was taken from the railway bank on BPR looking towards Dixon Road School/Cooksey Road it's difficult for me to get my bearings on this particular photograph, hope you can help with this, I will attach the photo I am rambling on about, but these photos are just amazing as they were way before time, as I said before I moved to the area actually on my 2nd Birthday in Jan 1973 when it became the new estate, with Sandfields Avenue starting at the junction of Cooksey Road and Bolton Road, the end play ground of Dixon Road School is now the start of Sandfields Avenue, which has new houses on and part of Dixon Road School Annex is now self contained flats, the other annex at the top of Dixon Road is now a Muslim faith School, Carrington Road would be in the play ground of Regents Park School or there about.

Attachments

• PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 028.JPG
    PARK RD AST..BORD GR RD 028.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 61
Back