• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Bombings

Shortie

master brummie
I have just found out this morning that my grandmother's cousin , Lucy Wood, was killed in an air raid over Bordesley in April 1941. Does anyone know of the extent of the damage in that area? She lived in Kyrwicks Lane, Camp Hill. War is not something I have ever had much cotter with, I try to ignore it ever happened, I think, but I am now going to have to look more closely at it.

Thank you colin. I have had a look, but need to take a longer one when I have more time. I only saw that address once. Oddly, she was not at her own house, but could have been possibly with her son. Thanks again.

Were you aware that Lucy Wood's name has also been entered in to the book of Remembrance in the Birmingham Hall of Memory.

No, I was not, but thatnk you for letting me know. I do know she is on the new BARA memorial that is near St Martin's, and that she is buried at Yardley Cemetery. I was quite shocked when I found how she had died, and have to admit I shed a tear or two. She was my grandmother's cousin, and was born in Cheltenham. I hope I can eventually make contact with her descendents, but so far I have only found one child she had, and Harry Wood is a common name, so not easy to trace without buying a whole host of certificates (I am running out of space, I have got quite a lot).

Back