• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Booths Farm

Am I bumping this old thread? I read that Booth was buried in Handsworth Church, church yard; in 'disgrace' under one of the paths in the confines of the church yard itself. I went there to clarify this, but it's so long ago now that I can't recall if there is any marker. Hope that helps.

PS... From 1939 to 1960, I lived in Heston Avenue, the cul-de-sac off Booths Farm Road, between Foden Road and Cramlington Road. The 'Willow Woods' was our playground through the forties and fifties of course. I went to Beeches Road School. (Miss Pogson (Pockson?) and Mr. Waterton were our 'rulers'.) , Miss Pogson's was a heavy ebony rule shaped like a large pencil! Murderous across your knuckles. I spent a year at Birchfield Road Seniors School, then returned to Beeches Road when the Seniors Department re opened around 1951. I am well familiar with the area, and still live just a mile or so away, near the Cat and Fiddle pub. Built and opened around 1957. Bit quiet at the moment, due to lock-down!
I am always ready to chat to anyone who remembers the forties/fifties period.

John

THANKS Vivienne.

Last edited:
Regarding the Booths Farm farmhouse: I have just been looking at the Google Earth maps.

I remember well going down Booths Farm Road to where the shops are now situated, opposite Calshot Road School. Prior to the shops being built, there was a wheat field, behind Cardington Avenue. (When wheat was more than 15 inches high, of course.) To the right of the field there was a path that led up to Booths Farmhouse, and I remember the massive Conference pear tree which grew near the house. (That's where I got my taste for pears that were hard as bullets, rather than fully ripe and soft!) To one side of the path there was a series of hummocks, all in a row, leading up to the farmhouse. We used to ride our home made 'dirt-pedal- bikes' along there, as it was a great switchback ride. Near the site of the shops to be, there was also a big oak, on which we had a rope-swing, another great bit of kids' fun!

The farmhouse was close to the old Booths Lane, an un-adopted road, which could be accessed by car, but only at risk of chassis and tyre damage to your car. It was a regular 'rat-run' from Caddick/Bowman Road and on to Sandy lane, to access Beeches Road and Walsall Road. In the 1970s, I remember being able to see the farm from Booths Lane and a friend of mine (Now deceased) wanted to buy the farmhouse, with the idea of turning it into a late night club, along the lines of the Kings in Hamstead. We know what happened to that idea. So I would say that the preserved foundations seem to be where I remember the farmhouse stood.

I believe that when the area was bought by the Sand and Gravel Co., the original Booths Lane was closed, and became part of the quarry. That was probably the reason the new road, laid by the Gravel Company was never truly adopted. In Sandy Lane, just down from Aldridge Road, you can still see the end of the original Booths Lane, which is now a small close, off Sandy Lane, where it joined the Lane. There are just a few houses remaining in the original Booths Lane, and I remember that the road nameplate was still in place; much to the consternation of strangers looking for Booths Lane!

That's about all I can offer, so I hope it helps someone.

John

Hi I'm trying to trace my fathers side of the family and my father was born and brought up in Booths Farm Sutton Coldfield.the family name is Bonell my grandfather Harry. I believe he was a diary man and won sutton cups in 1932 to 36 for horse and cart best traders man award we still have the cups much treasured . Would you know anyone who would remember the family ? They left Sutton Coldfield in the early 1950s to settle in South Wales .
thanks Craig Bonell

Hi Craigz2000 I know its a long shot that you get this reply but anyway. I am researching the 3 farms that were situated in Boldmere in the area close to what is now Sutton Park. I would be very interested to hear any information you have discovered about your family and especially if you have any photos of the farm or farm buildings, and anyone associated with the farm.
You may already know that the farm was located at what is now the junction of Darnick Road and Halton Road, Boldmere and was the middle farm of the three (L to R) Old Park Farm, Booths Farm then Stonehouse Farm (as they became known). The farm may have originated as early as 1528 when the Sutton Corporation allowed farms of up to 60 acres to be established on the common lands to encourage commerce. Little is written about Booth's Farm so any information would be welcome. TheBoldPeeKay

I remember the farm house, never explored it, wish I had now, but it had been burnt out and there was just the shell. You used to be able to see it from the quarry.

Am I right in saying that there were trap doors from the top floor where he did his forging to the ground floor and he got away from the police with this means of escape? I can remember being told that at school.

Hi, I grew up on Turnberry Road and spent most of my time playing on the 'cracker' in the woods at the pump house, all gone now I understand.
What wonderful times those were! paddling in the brook, catching frogs and butterflies and building dens. A family was actually living in Booths Farm House when I was very small, but I remember they moved out and the house got boarded up and became derelict. It's gone now, a bit of a shame really considering it was a lovely house and the history attached to it.
That was my family

hi maybers and welcome...would you have any photographs to share of the time your family was living in booths farm

lyn

thats sounds great mark as i think any photos you could post would be a welcome edition to this thread...shame the house has gone as it had a lot of history behind it

cheers

lyn

thats sounds great mark as i think any photos you could post would be a welcome edition to this thread...shame the house has gone as it had a lot of history behind it

cheers

lyn
Thanks Lyn, got such fond memories and they have started flooding back since I joined this thread. Memories such as my Grandad keeping pigeons, my Auntie having a horse at the rear of the house, fishing in the quarry, revisiting it as a young boy when it was derelict, wow! My Grandparents lived there and ran the quarry cafe.

what wonderful memories mark please keep them coming...ive probably already mentioned it somewhere on this thread but my brother helped with excavating the foundations of the house in the 70s..never found any forged coins though

lyn

Look on Google Earth and you can find the foundations which have been excavated and preserved. So I believe. I lived in Heston Avenue as a kid (1939-1960) and live in Great Barr now, just over the boundary in Walsall. Half a mile up the Beacon Road, from the Old Horns and Asda.

John

thanks john..there are photos of the foundations on posts 108 109 and 110 of this thread

lyn

Am I bumping this old thread? I read that Booth was buried in Handsworth Church, church yard; in 'disgrace' under one of the paths in the confines of the church yard itself. I went there to clarify this, but it's so long ago now that I can't recall if there is any marker. Hope that helps.

PS... From 1939 to 1960, I lived in Heston Avenue, the cul-de-sac off Booths Farm Road, between Foden Road and Cramlington Road. The 'Willow Woods' was our playground through the forties and fifties of course. I went to Beeches Road School. (Miss Pogson (Pockson?) and Mr. Waterton were our 'rulers'.) , Miss Pogson's was a heavy ebony rule shaped like a large pencil! Murderous across your knuckles. I spent a year at Birchfield Road Seniors School, then returned to Beeches Road when the Seniors Department re opened around 1951. I am well familiar with the area, and still live just a mile or so away, near the Cat and Fiddle pub. Built and opened around 1957. Bit quiet at the moment, due to lock-down!
I am always ready to chat to anyone who remembers the forties/fifties period.

John

THANKS Vivienne.
his grave was moved when county borders moved....no one wanted him, his gravestone was moved to the church boundary wall. BTW James Watt is buried there too.

his grave was moved when county borders moved....no one wanted him, his gravestone was moved to the church boundary wall. BTW James Watt is buried there too.
Hi, I too went to Beeches Road school in the late forties and early fifties. Miss POXON was her name and yes, I remember her and Mr Waterton, and do you remember a teacher we called Baldy Bill....(Baldy Bill from Cannon Hill, went to church on Sunday, he prayed to God to give him strength, to wack the kids on Monday) see I still remember that old rhyme! I lived in Calshot Road, and I went out with a lovely girl who worked at Wimbush Cake shop on the corner of Booths Farm and Perrywood, and I worked for Roberts Greengrocers. Happy Days.

Back