• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Books of Birmingham images

landcrab9

knowlegable brummie
Look up Brewin books and Alton Douglas, his books are excellent, photographs stunning. I have every one of them and refer to them constantly.
Good luck,
Bryan.

I'm not sure I would say Alton Douglas has written very much about Birmingham. He has produced a large number of collections of somewhat random photos, cuttings and adverts on different aspects of the city

think i must have ove 20 of altons books...very good indeed

lyn
I have I think the complete set of Brewin Books and have started to create an searchable Excel index to their 33 Books.
So far I have I have 530 entries for 5 books.
As Mikejee says above some of the books photos are somewhat random

excel pic.jpg

As you can see from above, you can search for Areas eg all pics in Hockley, City Centre, in a certain book, name of street, pub or shop, possibly a date search.
I need help if you have one of these books, if we can do a combined effort to create a list which covers all books.
If you send me a personal message with your email address, I can send you a copy of this excel file which you can add to, then return it so I can combine all files for all books.
There is also a way if you are not able to use Excel, to create a 6 column text file, comma separated file

i.e. Road or Street name, Area, Notes, Year, Book, Page No.
Cuthbert rd, Winson Green, St. Cuthbert's Church, 1950, Back to the Fifties, 6
and save as a text file. (As it is to become a Comma Separated File, the commas are very important.

So if you have one of these books shown below (without a red tick) and are willing to help me & yourselves get a complete searchable Excel file, please let us know if your willing to help and which book you have. RobT

coversR.jpg

Last edited:
Back