• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Book: Newtown and Summer Lane by Drake & Glasby

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Newtown and Summer Lane, another good Birmingham book to browse splendid pictures, transport pubs shops and streets

He will like this one then it as a similar format to our Astonbrook thru Astonmanor site

Hello John,

I am new to the site, and I am still trawling through the forum pages.

Just come upon yours for Newtown and Summer Lane, have you any idea where I could purchase a copy of it??

Thanks in advance of your kind help.

paraman

Paraman you can get it from Birmingham main library and good book stores I have seen them in W H Smiths and Waterstones they will order if out of stock I was lucky Peter gave me mine you will enjoy it I know I did

Hi John,

Thanks for the info, may need the I S B N number, from the back of the book, for Smiths and Waterstones here in Berkshire.

If not I will get on to Birmingham Library, and buy it from them.

Thanks

paraman

Hi Dave Ed,
Thanks for the book #, I will go into town on Monday and order it.

Would go tommorrow Saturday, but it is going to pour down here, so I will stay in.
Your reply is just proving what a great and friendly site this is.

paraman

hi jackie, its christine from preston lol will go and order this book first thing in the morning.

Thanks John from a Newtown Lad I'll be contacting W H Smith Monday:)

They usually get my Rupert Books each Christmas save me going to town with the crush:D

I placed my order today and pick it up Monday week as I only go into town on a Monday:)

ive got the newtown and summer lane book. brillient stuff. to all those of you waiting to get your copies when you do go to page 58 picture of court 17 hospital st. check out the ghostly apparitions especially the one on the left of the pic. spooooooky wales.

We had a ghostly figure when I was young in Aston Newtown, he was the Rent man:D

alf. i can still remember mom either telling us to keep away from the windows on call out days or sending us to the door to say "mom said she will double up next weeK"

Hi John,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, regarding this book.
I went to Smiths in Slough, they found it in thier records, but couldn't order it, thier system was down, went across to Waterstones, loh and behold same story.

Came home went on to Amazon's site, typed in Birmingham, lots of books on thier site, I have ordered 5 books in total: 1. Newtown and Summer Lane, 2. Birmingham Back to Backs, 3. Pocket with a hole, 4. Birmingham Past and Present, 5. Streets of Brum Issue #1.

When I have read them, I will sort out some good photo's and post on the site.

paraman

All book shops have a computer Paraman, all you need to do is tell them the title and bingo...Cat

My book wasn't at W.H.Smiths today when mlady went to pick it up today:(

W.H.Smith said we have no record on the Computer of you having ordered it.

I then phoned
Who took the order ..... wouldn't give me her name....can't sort it if I don't know her name:rolleyes:

Have you got the book Title.... yes....ISBN no:....yes....Its Newtown & Summer Lane....I know that I gave it to the Girl Saturday week...can't find any record of you ordering it on the Computer...... did you pay in advance....no she didnt tell me.... well sorry its been our policy for the last 3 years...is your partner still in town....yes couldn't you phone her to drop in the cash and the book will be here in one to two weeks... Yes I'll do that and tell her to go and order it from Waterstones bye.

Alf Amazon have it free delivery

[ame="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newtown-Summer-Lane-Images-England/dp/0752441973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217254016&sr=1-1"]Newtown and Summer Lane (Images of [/ame]
England S) (Images of England) (Images of England) by Peter Drake and Jon Glasby (Paperback - 1 Nov 2006)
[ame="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newtown-Summer-Lane-Images-England/dp/0752441973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217254016&sr=1-1"]Buy new[/ame]: £12.99 £8.57 [ame="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0752441973/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217254016&sr=1-1"]4 Used & new[/ame] from £7.25You save: £4.42 (34%) Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeksEligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery.

Thank you mike don't use Credit or Debit Cards have to speak with my Sons, might get it as a gift then:):D

Waterstones...mlady dropped in by chance on her way home,I'd failed to get her on the Mobile... bearing in mind I'd spoken to them half hour before.
She gave them the title of the book...no record of that being in stock anywhere...she came home.
Told me the story and as any good BRAwoman would say. Did you give me the right Title. I said I'll have a word with my friends on the Forum.

Last edited:
Alf
It comes as no surprise. Some time ago I ordered "A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood" online from Smiths. I knew itb wasn't out, but they were giving a reduction on orders taken that weekend. A week and a half ago I recieved:
"In line with your recent instruction we can now confirm that the product(s) listed below has/have been cancelled and that no debit has been made against your payment card." On ringing them up and saying I gave no such instruction they said, Oh yes I know but its our computer. t does that automatically if an order doesn't come in within a certain time! We can reinstate the order for you though.
mike

Mike, I'm sure the Managers invent these ploys so that when orders go up one week all the downs are gone on paper when they send their sales figures in to head office, to us its the Computer is down.

Re-orders can look better than sales on paper. the shops on the up Mr Chairman:)

In the restaurant chain my Son works for they have to make 65% on each Burger or the restaurant is on the down.

Last edited:
Hello all,

would there be any info or pictures of Moorsom St. in this book. I understand it is just off Newtown Row. My rele's lived there in 1928. Also have records of others living at New John St West and Pickford Street, however I think the latter is Digbeth. My brother and I went for a walk down Moorsom St last year and it was just a little street, no houses left just some sort of bus depot but when I looked at the 1929 electoral rolls it seemed like a long street full of houses. It would be great to see how it looked then. Half of my relatives were canal boat workers who seemed to have settled around that area in the 1920-30 era. Also I am trying to order my great grandfather's death cert, his name was George Cutler, born in Oldbury around 1883 and was living in Pickford St in 1925 but dead by 1928. I have found a record for a 42 year old George Cutler in Birmingham South for 1928. Any idea iF Pickford St, which I believe is in Digbeth, would be classed as B'ham South. Thanks, Dympna

hi there. pickford st is in between floodgate st and new canal st digbeth as you quite rightly said. not sure if that is birm south. i have the summer lane book and unfortunately there are no photos of moorsom st but if you go on the streets and neighbours thread and ask if anybody may have some you may have some luck. the census look up thread is very good too. there are a lot of members only to willing to help. i may have a couple of photos of new john street west if you would like me to have a look and post them please let me know. best wishes. wales.

Back