• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Ladywood by Norman Bartlam

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Some time ago I bought a copy of Ladywood book by Norman Bartlam, it is a very good book with loads of pictures of the area.
A few months later I saw another book by him on Ladywood, and having enjoyed the first one, I decided to also buy that one as well.
See pictures below.

Well apart from the covers, the books are identical, page for page.
Is this a new way to sell twice as many books ?

Postie, I have a great book 'Old Ladywood Remembered' by Victor J. Price. The contents cover Churches, Schools, Transport, Back-to-backs, Pubs and pics of people who lived there plus a 'photo of Tommy Fitzpatrick, the boxer., etc., etc. The book was from Brewin Books, Studley, Warwicks. ISBN 0 947731 27x Priced at £6.96. I've had the book about 4 or 5 years. Anthea:)

Postie. It seems you did buy the same book only with a different cover. I am sure this is not a ploy to sell more books. If you contact Norman, I am sure that he would be more than happy to rectify it. He has brought out a couple more books on Ladywood since, and they are all well worth the money. One is Ladywood Revisited and the other is Ladywood Lives. He has a large collection of photographs of the area. If you are from Ladywood, there is an association run by Gordon Cull that holds reunions for former residents, each April.

Postie. It seems you did buy the same book only with a different cover. I am sure this is not a ploy to sell more books. If you contact Norman, I am sure that he would be more than happy to rectify it. He has brought out a couple more books on Ladywood since, and they are all well worth the money. One is Ladywood Revisited and the other is Ladywood Lives. He has a large collection of photographs of the area. If you are from Ladywood, there is an association run by Gordon Cull that holds reunions for former residents, each April.

Do you have a contact address for Gordon Cull?

ladywood

I have got an address and phone number. Is it the done thing to put it out on the website? Can anyone advise.

I have got an address and phone number. Is it the done thing to put it out on the website? Can anyone advise.
The best way is to send a P M to the person wanting the info. It is not wise to put personal info in open forum

Hi,
I am new to this site, but really enjoy reading the diffrent threads,and trying to get involved.re.ladywood i buy lots of books new or second hand on any thing i find interesting,anyway a few years ago i brought abook called,THE FORGOTTEN PEOPLE, BY NORMAN S.POWER,published in 1965,its about the slum clearance of ladywood and the impact on the people living there.
alan

Hi Alan, Welcome to the site. See my post #3 above and the book I recommend. The foreward is by Norman Power, Vicar of Ladywood. Anthea:)

Back