• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Family Fortunes, Men & Women of the English middle class 1780-1850"

rowan

Born a Brummie
Do hope I am in the right place to post this.

Found to day.........thrown away, a fantastic book called

"Family Fortunes, Men and Women of the English middle class 1780-1850"

By Leonore Davidoff and Catherine Hall.

It has alot of Birmingham History in it and plates. I am going to enjoy this after Christmas.:)

It had been "dumped" at the recycling centre and rescueded by me.

I can't bear to see books so mistreated!!!!!

Glancing through it there is alot on Carrs Lane. The Cadbury family and

a picture of their shop and house in Bull Street Central Birmingham 1824.

Oh! what a lucky find:D

Hi John,

As soon as my "better" half has time we will scan and post some of the
pictures.

I wasn't too sure wether copyright comes into the picture (so to speak);) but as you have aked I'll do as you command :D!!!

So glad you rescued it, if I no long want a book I always give them to charity shops as there is always someone who will want them.

Rowan how wonderful for you, its so sad that people don't know the value of these old books. Well done you. I am interested in the info on Carrs Lane Chapel. I have been helping a gentleman who is researching the founders of Spring Hill college now Moseley School, who were connected to Carrs Lane in particular John Angell James. Thanks Wendy.

Wendy,
Will try and look through the book and post tomorrow.

There IS a picture, I think(!!) of Carrs Lane Chapel.

Sorry, I know it's 'orrible to be kept waiting:Aah: but I will do my upmost for tomorrow:)

Rowan that is so good of you, there is no hurry. I know how busy everyone is at this time of year!

Well done Rowan :cool:
That's how I got my Aston Villa Book, someone over here had thrown it out a few years ago.
Then when I started to do my family tree, I found one of my Great uncles 'Happy Harry Hampton' had played for Villa and yes I'd been looking at pictures of him and reading a very good write up on his part in helping Villa win a lot of their matches back in the early 1900's, without even knowing at the time that he was one of mine.

Pom :angel:

Back