• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Cathy Come Home by Jeremy Sandford

rowan

Born a Brummie
Today we called in to our local dump and amongst several books dumped on the floor was
"Cathy Come Home" by Jeremy Sandford. I remember watching the play on the TV and being reduced to tears.

In this book are photographs of various city slum areas, one being Birmingham where there were "38,000 families on the housing list". The photo is of "imates of a typical hostel"

It makes you realize that today's "poverty" is absolutely NOTHING like years ago. Yes, there are homeless families but not in those conditions!!!

Todays "poverty" is mostly economical rather than sheer deprivity.

How they came through it all is a marvel to their strength and to their community.

Rowan :-* in total agreeance of your above lovely posting,

A great book & so vividly portrayed on the T V,, award winning & so truthfull, a rare combination.

Even big strong men were known to have cryed about this at that time,, Not me of course, :-[

Ooops,,could get me Diss-BARred :crazy2:

Back