• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bluetooth help please

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi Me again:)..since putting in the new vista..my bluetooth has gone aWOL..used to be in my control panel ..I have bought a new dongle today but cant find out how to turn the bluetooth on ..Help :):):)

Hi both thanks for the replies:)the dongle is a plug and play ..no cd..I went to that link Alf and it told me what to do but when i followed it one of the bits it told me to look for wasn't on my pooter:rolleyes:
it said Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Network and Internet" and choose "Set up a Bluetooth enabled device"...cant find the set up bluetooth bit

Hi,
I use Linux mostly, but today my wife wanted to put some photos out of her phone into the 'puter. Certainly I said, and switched into XP and plugged the old faithful Plug & Play Bluetooth dongle in - nothing! the 'puter didn't see it. I went into Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services and found I had turned off the 'Bluetooth Support Service' sometime ago trying to make Windows start up faster. I switched on the 'Bluetooth Support Service' and the 'puter saw the dongle, I also set it to 'automatic on start up' just in case she wants more photos put in.
I don't know whether it would be a similar procedure in Vista.:)

Hiya Old Mohawk:)I went to control panel and the bluetooth has gone totally..tried the dongle on my xp puter and that wouldn't recognise it either.. then tried it on Tom's pooter..still no good the dongle lights up but nothing else happening...doing my head in now so i am gonna take it back:)

Hi Maggie,
My dongle is a Belkin F8T009 it lit up today but would not do anything, until I did the things I mentioned. Unfortunately I've never used Vista. I notice when I go into Control Panel and look at system hardware, there are Microsoft drivers, and Belkin drivers. Perhaps you could download/update drivers from either your dongle manufacturer's site or from Microsoft. The drivers are needed to make the dongle work
oldmohawk:)

Maggie, try plugging the dongle into a different USB port, it should come back with a message saying found new hardware. Also have a look in the hardware device list under Network Adaptors (hit the little + to branch it out). Make sure there are no devices with an exclamation mark next to them. This maybe a long shot but I once came across a Bluetooth dongle with a little switch on the side to enable or disable it.

right thats it i am gonna chuck it out the window..it's a Toshiba so i went to their site and downloaded the drivers ..it is now saying that ISSC USB bluetooth is working but i cant get the little bluetooth up or make it discoverable...it wont work on my xp pooter either:rolleyes::) ps Dave it does say found new hardware then just disappears

Maggie, I am using Vista and in the control panel there is an icon for bluetooth devices. If you click on the start button then help and support, when the panel comes up, type in bluetooth and it will tell you what to do. Try it if you have'nt already.I don't use bluetooth so I don't really know how to help you any other way.

Terry

Thanks Terry That is my problem there aint an icon anymore in the control panel so i cant turn the rotton thing on:(:):):)

The Bluetooth icon normally appears in the control panel once the Bluetooth software is installed not just the driver. I am surprised that a disk was not supplied will the dongle, sometimes these are small, half size, CD's and can be hidden in the folds of the packaging. Other than that, did any Bluetooth software come with the device you are trying to connect, e.g. mobile phone, camera, ect. The driver only tells windows how to communicate with the Bluetooth dongle, software supplied normally does the actual connecting bit to the device. I know this is stating the obvious but have you restarted windows? Worth a try.

Dave didn't get anything with the dongle cant understand why the icon has gone it only went when we put the vista disc in..I have put the dongle on my xp pooter and even though on that i have the bluetooth icon and turned the visibility on it still wont work ..think i have a pig in a poke here so its going back the weekend and gonna get another type thanks for your help i have tried everything apart from jumping on it:D:D

Is it a laptop, MaggieUK? If so there are often icons along the top of the keyboard and one of them (a mushroom shape) activates bluetooth. Just a thought.

Maggie, do a search in google using the following term

' bluetooth icon missing in control panel ' and you will see you are not on your own. Have a good look, there's bound to be an answer there somewhere.

Terry

Maggie - If you try with your XP machine what I suggested in #5. When you go into Control Panel and see an Icon called Administrative Tools, click it and more icons show, click on the one called Services - it looks like a couple of gear wheels. Click it and a big list of 'Services' come up in alphabetical order. In the list is an item called 'Blue Tooth Support Services'. Right click on it and in the box click on Properties. You can see if the Bluetooth Service is running. Run it and also put it on Automatic. When you do this a little Bluetooth icon will appear in your task bar. As I said in #5, my BT would not work until I had done the above even though I had used it before. I would suspect there is a similar procedure in Vista

Hi everyone,,thanks so much for the replies:):)Icarus no its not a laptop.:).Old Mohawk i have tried everything you say and even on the xp with bluetooth started it is still not coming up. :).Terry i have googled it now with what you said and there is so much there i reckon your all gonna have a quiet day on the forum cos i am gonna be on google for hours:) then i am gonna jump on it..wont fix it but it will make me feel better:D:D

Hi again everyone :)Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help..I found out that Vista wont run bluetooth till you download vista service pack 2 ..done that and then got a message that Vista does not support Toshiba..so it looks like its back to xp for me ..really surprised that Vista doesn't support a lot of bluetooth items

That's a bit peculiar. My HP laptop had vista installed on it as standard over 2 years ago before any service pack had come out and bluetooth worked on it - not that i've used it recently.
Mike

Vista doesn't support a lot of bluetooth items
Hi, Maggie,
I think I saw something about Vista problems with Toshiba (Technika) Bluetooth. I find that my Belkin BT dongle and XP always seems to need a 'kick' to get it working. Perhaps its a MS 'not invented here' thing.

Hi everyone sorry to bring this up again...got another Toshiba dongle ..this time with a disc:rolleyes:..have installed it all ..but ..
On the options tab in Bluetooth devices,
when I check "Turn discovery on" box I get the following error "An error occurred while Windows was saving your settings. The following settings were not saved: Discoverability settings and Connection settings please can someone help
thanks
Maggie

Thanks for your reply Mohawk :):)i put the dongle on the xp comp and tried to turn the discovery on ..(on the computer) but it wont let me ,,i did what you said about enabling the the bluetooth but it just keeps telling me my settings wont save:cry::cry:

Hi Maggie, this is just an idea, are you logged on as Administrator or using an account with administrator rights? If not this may be causing the problem. I must say that you should not have these problems with Bluetooth, it is normally very straight forward to get things up and running. It seems like some security setting on your PC's are preventing the Bluetoth from working correctly.

Maggie, did you buy this Bluetooth adaptor from Tesco by any chance? If so go to the following link and click the Bluetooth adaptor in the pcture and download a new driver, I think there may be a few problems with the drivers supplied on the disc. Only do this if it is the same Bluetooth adaptor that you have. If it is not from Tesco but is the same one give it a go anyway.

https://direct.tesco.com/content/specials/technika.aspx

Hi Maggie,
I've tried some experiments with a bluetooth dongle, which I bought cheap somewhere, no manufacturer's name on it, a half size disk, which I've since lost. Anyway, I plugged it into my laptop which had never seen it before. Laptop found new hardware, wanted to search for a driver, it said 'Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?'. I clicked 'Yes this time only' and Windows started searching and eventually found one, which I think is a 'Generic' Windows bluetooth driver. I certainly hadn't put one in. I then used Nokia's PC Suite (downloadable from Nokia on internet), 'Connection Manager' and followed it's instructions. I think Nokia PC Suite will work with any nearby bluetooth device/phone but I'm not sure. If you want to try all this, you will need to first uninstall your bluetooth dongle, and restart Windows, otherwise it won't search for new drivers.
I just can't understand why use of any bluetooth dongles isn't automatic in Windows.
When I tried the dongle in my Linux 'puter, it was seen immediately, no search for drivers, Linux told me to switch my phone's bluetooth on, it then saw the phone, gave me a Pin No 7411 !! and I was sending and receiving pics, the whole procedure took less than 2 minutes. Keep fighting it.....don't let Windows win....:)

Last edited:
this particular dongle is proving to be a pain the only reason we use it is to send a picture from the phone to PC in the past has been no problem just plug in and send phone to pc and vice versa now it seems that windows settings no longer discovers our phones through Bluetooth although both are (or have been paired) to all pcs in house...windows will not send a file from pc to phone :redface: and will not allow discovery :redface:;) I can use the nokia pc suite on all pcs with cable but it syncs all files when we only want one thanks for all your efforts people will find a way round it eventually:)

I haven't used Bluetooth very much lately, but in the past have found it unstable - seemed to work differently every time I used it, and often I had to 'fight' it. I had copies of Nokia's PC Suite off their CD's and wasn't impressed, but the latest one I downloaded from their site, was much improved, but I did only use it for photos and mp3 files....:)

problem solved got a proper bluetooth dongle and stamped on Toshiba one :redface: new one worked straight away on vista with service pack two now on All pcs :Dthanks to all :)

Back