• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bloomsbury Street School

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
:D Do you x Bloomers and Locco kids remember the Wednesday afternoon dancing classes? :) If you were in your last term at school you were given the pleasure, if attending Bloomsbury Girls of having all your toes broken by the feet of the boys of Loxton St :twisted: who were also in their last term at school. Miss Pigavance Dep' head of Bloomers and the Dep'head of Locco ?(Name) tried hard to give us some class and culture by tyring to teach us The Walz, The Foxtrot, and The Quickstep :? . Sad to say in my year of leaving we were more interested in Rock-n-Roll, The Loccomotion and The Twist 8) , you can imagine the fooling around that went on. The boys had to come and ask the girls for each dance, (no two dances with the same partner in a row) :roll: and the Girls were not allowed to say no to anyone who asked her. One Wednesday one of the tallest boys of that year (almost 6ft at 15yrs) came and asked for my hand for the next dance (me all of 4ft nothing). Yes it was a jackup :twisted: , when asked if we all had a partner and were we ready Dugie my partner said out loud "No I have only got half of one, can I have the other half, or better still can I have two." Well both teachers went mad and we had to sit at the far end of the hall for the rest of the afternoon. :)

does anyone remember or used to go to bloomsbury street school which was in lingard street and goodrick street from 1945 to 1953
brian baker

bloomsbury school at the goodrick road entrance..with the stork pub on the right...dated nov 11th 1964

image.jpeg
Replacement image - may vary from original.

astoness

pic curtesy of carl chinn...birminghm lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brian, I went to Bloomsbury school from 1959 until 1969 when i left school brought my school desk chair home with me because it was going to get demolished .. also remember the Stork pub and beehive pub as my gran and granddad Griffin, drank in them it was lemonade and crisp for me yum good old days , thank you for putting pic up... :)

hi pinky i went to bloomsbury street school 1958 till approx 1965 i lived next door to the stork pub in freeman road,i used to play round there will the boy who lived there, my mom also worked there. i used to go to nechells swimming baths nearly every night with my free pass then pop into the chip shop for some free scratching the good old days

Hi My partner and her sister were there from 1945-1949 Brenda and Diane Lovett.
Probably a little older than you?

Roger

Hi My partner and her sister were there from 1945-1949 Brenda and Diane Lovett.
Probably a little older than you?

Roger
Hi i was at Bloomsbury Street School from 1945- 1953 when sadley my birth mother passed away and i was adopted by my uncle and aunt my name then was Brian Cartwright

Brian

Hi my partner(Brenda Lovett) was at Bloomsbury Street School from 1945-49 and her best friend was Brenda Day--
anyone remember?

Roger

Hi, my mother Jean Betts went to Bloomsbury Street School. She was born in 1942 so I guess from about 1947 to 1952? If anybody remembers her I would be pleased to hear from you. Also the picture from above in this thread is no longer there - if anybody has a copy I would love to see it. Geoff Astle (son of Jean).

Hi Geoff. I have placed an image on Astonesses post #2. This may vary from the original. If Astoness sees this post she may be able to advise.viv.

Some more photos of the Bloomsbury Schools complex inside and out, Pete the final photo which is of the memorial plaque for the school which was the first state schoolin Birmingham and it stood from 1873 to 1968. My apologies if these have been posted before.

Nechells Bloomsbury St School 1946 .jpgNechells Goodrick St.jpgNechells Lingard St School 1946 (2).JPGNechells Lingard St School Interior 1946.JPGNechells Bloomsbury St School .jpg

I left this school in 1959 to go to Leigh Road school in Wash wood Heath. I remember Betty Simmonds .Have school year photos if any one is interested .? Also remember Michael James who I would walk home from school with. I lived at Necells place opposite the gas works.

Last edited:
Mr Reese rings a bell but at Leigh Rd not Bloomsbury. Mrs Howell is the only name I remember as she was my first teacher for 2 or 3 years.

I was at Bloomsbury St from 45-49,Does anyone remember Mr King & Miss Taylor.They got married.

In that time my friend Brian Bristol got killed by The Pines Express on the railway at the back of my Gran's who lived at 38 Goodrick St

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Brian Ashwell ,Tony Dimmock who lived in Cato St North around 47-49
They were at Bloomsbury St at this time

Last edited:
If it's the same Tony Dimmock, his mom Nellie was my great aunt. Her son Tony was born about Sept 1939. Regarding your previous post, my grandfather Bert Wilson drove the Pines Express at about that time and left the railway shortly after. I know he had a couple of folks who died on the railway and I hope they weren't your friend.

Back