• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blakesley Hall

An update regarding the will of Charles Hopkins, tenant farmer. Originally, I thought that Charles was a tenant famer in the early 1800's at Blakesley Hall. I took the will to Brum with the idea of giving it to Blakesley Hall. It is beautifully hand written on good quality parchment and signed and sealed under the auspices of The Archbishop of Canterbury and Sir Herbert Jenner in 1849. However, when I read through the writing I noticed that it said Blakeley Hall not Blakesley Hall. I looked up Blakely Hall and it was in existence but in the Oldbury area. I wasn't sure since it is no longer standing. I emailed the Dudley historical society asking them for more details but received no reply. I brought the Will back to Canada meaning to do some more research on it. This I did today and in the National Archives site I found a reference to Charles Hopkins and his wife Rhoda having their son William christened at Yardley Parish church in 1827 and Charles is listed as living at Blakesley Hall at that time. It seems that although it does say Blakely Hall in the Parish of Yardley on the Will, Blakesley Hall was referred to as Blakely Hall at times. A bit confusing really. I am now assuming that there must be some relatives of Charles Hopkins around who might like this document. They might not be easy to trace since Charles died in 1849 and Hopkins is a relatively well known name. Now I have found the correct connection for Charles Hopkins and Blakesley Hall, the question is ...Should I give the Will to Blakesley Hall or look for Charles Hopkin's relatives? I bought the Will in the Midland Educational on Corporation Street in 1985. They had a few old Wills in a box that must have come from an old Solicitors office somewhere in Brum. I paid 75p for it and I also bought a couple of others at the same time.

Oh my Jenny I bet it'sa lovely document. I have a couple of wills but nothing that old. It must be quite a delema for you deciding who deserves the document.!

Jenny,

I have just found this thread by Googling "Hopkins" and "Blakesley Hall" as I have just found some evidence to suggest that I may be related to this branch of Hopkins (I am in the process of trying to prove this). I would love to purchase the will from you if you still have it but, from an altruistic perspective, perhaps it is better donated to the Birmingham Archives where many can view it on the original parchment?....

Karen

I used to go to Blakesley Hall a lot during school holidays. I don't remember suits of armour, but then they do not excite me one bit (although you might be quite a bit younger than I am and it could have changed). I do, however, remember the fire engines and things they had in the building outside which I am assuming would have been a stable or some kind. It's on my list to take my grandsons soon, the eldest will most certainly enjoy it, the youngest I am hoping will. They both seem to like old places and Blakesley is not too large so they won't get bored.

I live in Chelmsley Wood only about 5 miles from Blakesley Hall and yet its over 20 years since my last visit, must put that right in the better weather. Eric
Blakesley_Hall_2012_001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be interesting - an exhibition at Blakesley Hall of the family role in WW1. They've an interactive trench there too - sounds good but I doubt it has the thigh deep mud, the crumbling parapets, heavy shell fire and the tangled barbed wire. I dunno, health and safety has us all wrapped up in cotton wool these days!!! Seriously though, it looks like a good visit for children too. Viv.

https://www.bmag.org.uk/events?id=3207

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1397147494.599680.jpg

Popped in there for a coffee yesterday. I couldn't hang around to examine much of what was going on, but I got a few photographs of the place in it's Spring glory.

Slideshow below:

https://t.co/J3Ltx45Vie

Best wishes

Graham :untroubled:

Some arty test shots using the effects on my new smartphone's camera!

Vivid colour

Partial colour

Kaleidoscope

Here's an equivalent of mine from over 4 years ago!

By the looks of it, that tree (in the way in 2010) must have been cut down!

Side view

Agree, a beautiful set of photos Ell. Love the harlequin effect too. Keep up the creativity, very inspiring. Viv.

Thanks Viv.

As I said trying out some of the photo effects on my new smartphone camera! The kaleidoscope seems to come out well (got to find somewhere else to use it when not using my main camera).

Lovely photos, thank you for sharing. I went last year to an open day, my first visit, had a wonderful time. Always said I would go back ...

Glad you like them. I wonder if tourists would be tempted to visit the hall, then take a short walk to Old Yardley Village? Both are near the 11A and 11C bus routes!

Believe that Stetchford is the closest railway station.

I've just come back from the Hall after visiting the 'Tom Frank and May - One Family's Story' exhibition. I've written up a brief illustrated report on it here if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I thoroughly recommend a visit. It is not a hyped-up 'WWI history experience' and all the better for it in my opinion: Just lovely, low key, and informative like the best of education should be.

Tha gardens are very nice too!

All the best

Graham

Last edited:
First Sunday of the month so entry was free (instead of £4).

Visited the house and the gardens!

Being summer, the lavender is out!

Found something called The Gilbertstone - it's moved a lot!

Mural in the entrance to the Visitor Centre

Seen today in the summer sunshine

With lavender

Side view

From one corner of the gardens

Kitchen at the back

Lovely pictures ellbrown.
Reading through the thread I noticed Jennyann's post about the will of Charles Hopkins and wondered if any relatives were found.
I found the following Marriage announcements in Berrows Worcester Journal.
17th Dec 1853 - Mrs Hopkins of Blakesley Hall to Joseph, Son of Mr Dalloway on 3rd Dec
28th Sept 1867 - Catherine, second daughter of the late Charles Hopkins to Mr John Smallbrooke

Attachments

• blakesly_hall_17_dec_1853.JPG
    blakesly_hall_17_dec_1853.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 13
  • blakesly_hall_28_sept_1867.JPG
    blakesly_hall_28_sept_1867.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 12
Some of the rooms.

Ground Floor

The Hall

The Great Parlour

The Little Parlour

First Floor

The Painted Chamber

The Porch Chamber

The Servant's Chamber

The Far-Bed Chamber

Basement (?) Ground floor
Kitchen

Lovely pictures ellbrown.
Reading through the thread I noticed Jennyann's post about the will of Charles Hopkins and wondered if any relatives were found.

Thanks pollypops

Got the guide book today

Three generations of the Hopkins family lived and farmed at Blakesley from 1778 - 1849. In the 1880s a sucession of short tenancies led to the house and farm buildings becoming dilapidated, and in 1899 the Greswoldes sold it

That's the Grewoldes of the Manor House in Solihull (on the High Street).

Exhibition room layers

Wall

Floor

17th century wooden panel from Bell's Farm, Druids Heath

Some items

I found this advertisement in the Birmingham Daily Post dated 19th May 1900:
Blakesley Hall up for auction 'by the direction of Henry Doone Esq - whose engagements require him to remove his residence'

Attachments

• blakesly_hall_26_may_1900.JPG
    blakesly_hall_26_may_1900.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 11
Yeah the guide mentions Hendy Donne.

It was bought, with two acres, by Henry Donne. He had the house restored and gardens laid out. The following year he sold the property at auction. This time the buyer was Thomas Merry, a Birmingham paint and varnish manufacturer. The Merry family lived at Blakesley Hall until Tom's death in 1932, when it was again put up for auction, and bought by the Birmingham Common Good Trust on behalf of Birmingham Corporation.

It seems Henry Donne made a lot of improvements to the Hall and didn't stay long.

Does the guide book mention William Clements?

In the Berrows Worcester Journal 8th Nov 1873: Marriage of Margaret Mary, daughter of William Clements Esq of Blakesley Hall

Not sure how long he lived there but it seems he lost his business and ended up in debt.

Birmingham Daily Post 7th Oct 1881 'Failure of Mr W Clements'

Attachments

• blakesly_hall_8_nov_1873.JPG
    blakesly_hall_8_nov_1873.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 10
  • blakesly_hall_7_oct_1881_bdp.JPG
    blakesly_hall_7_oct_1881_bdp.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 12
I still have Charles Hopkin's Last Will and Testament that I found in 1985 in the Midland Educational on Corporation Street. They had cleared out a safe of a city solicitor and
were selling the contents. Just a few Wills on Parchment. I intend to bring the Will with me when next I visit Birmingham and take it to Blakesley Hall for their files.

It seems Henry Donne made a lot of improvements to the Hall and didn't stay long.

Does the guide book mention William Clements?

No. Just that there was tenant farmers living there!

Assume the houses opposite were built in the 1930s!

This could be interesting - an exhibition at Blakesley Hall of the family role in WW1. They've an interactive trench there too - sounds good but I doubt it has the thigh deep mud, the crumbling parapets, heavy shell fire and the tangled barbed wire. I dunno, health and safety has us all wrapped up in cotton wool these days!!! Seriously though, it looks like a good visit for children too. Viv.

https://www.bmag.org.uk/events?id=3207

paid a visit to the merry family exhibition on saturday...well worth the visit folks...then hot footed it round the corner to yardley old village...st edburghas church is stunning..was allowed into the old smithy as well as it just happened to be open...

Back