• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Marias and Police Motor Cycles

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS
Yesterday ; i was speaking to some-one about the police force of yester years and how it as changed
and the talk came around about the old motor vechicles they used
and the moderen polce cars of today but also in the days gone bye hey used big black vans for picling up and transporting
suspects to police stations ; and courts ; and prisons and for picking up drunks and hooligans off the streets
and the person used the word black marria,s was the nick name for these big black vans
as we now know they have a different colour and moderen vans
and i said to them i wonder if they ever kept any of these old vans for transporting or was they all scrapped
so i was wondering whether or not does any body know if they did or not or have they been totally scrapped ?.
Is there was saved and put in a museum some where many thanks , best wishes Astonian;;

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Black Maria

Going back to the '70's, I then knew a police motorcyclist, and at that time they were using BSAs, big brutes,
he told me that although those bikes had terrific acceleration, they had no staying power, so if they couldn't catch the villain in the first mile they had no chance.

AUSTIN
I Have a friend whom is a retired police officier and a motor cyclist one from victoria rd and his wife works oday at quens rd police station
she is also a serving police officier fronm victoria rd thats where they met we have often spoke about the life of a speed cop. astonian;;;

Can we get back to the subject please Alan (you chose it) The Black Maria.

Just add...'and police bikes'...the bikes are more interesting.

l remember in the late 40's and early 50's Burlington st snr school would have Irish dances on Saturday and Sunday night...and usually there was a fight and the Paddywagon would always be there to pick them up and cart off the offenders....l do remember l watched one night and the coppers were not very gentle but there again neither were the drunks....one could always hear Jimmy Shand blaring out the windows.....Brenda

I have deleted the last post, as comments were made about a company well respected in the city now. All comments about living people and companies still trading will be deleted.

As Alan agreed to the change of title suggested by Rupert this thread is now about the Black Marias and Motorcycles used by Birmingham and latterly, West Midland Police.

Note: As Wendy has stated any references to people or their families, who are still living will be removed.

When I used to work nights during the season at Stockland coaches the local Policeman used to patrol on a Velocette, you never new when he arrived for his tea break as the things were so quiet, as I understand it we would have come under Kinstanding in the early sixties so walking his beat would have been too much to expect and only his Sergeant had the use of a car.

Hi

Typical example of these Vehicles when I trod the beat in Solihull 1964 to 1968 as a Special.
Also used for Internal transport. Nick name used were Paddy Wagons not allowed today.

mike jenks

Attachments

• 4558510158.jpg
    4558510158.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 13
Found this one from somewhere. Velocette LE. Yeah great for doing the beat on I would think. Beats a push bike. This one is a later kick start model with foot change. I seem to think that the earlier ones had a hand lever start and hand gear shifter. Oh and a radiator for engine cooling. Hmmm...shaft drive, so no messy chain. These look sharp even today.
An inspired design for it's day I think but perhaps the advent of the Austin Mini et.al. and keeping dry in the rain; trumped sales. These found a home in police forces for many years though. Stealthy quiet but not a bikers bike.

Attachments

• 1971_velocette_le.jpg
    1971_velocette_le.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 13
Back