• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

wow mike i cant wait to see the new high st ...i shall be there the weekend after next for the 40s weekend :) ...must admit even though its not an original rebuild a pretty good job seems to have been done on the elephant and castle pub..great photos mike..once again i tip my hat to this wonderful museum

lyn

sorry you missed it lyn

sorry you missed it lyn

never mind pete may try again on weds..weather permitting...not going to spend a few hours walking around in the pouring rain..shame that the weather has been so bad though for this weekends 40s weekend..got an unchained pass so i can get in for free for a year except for the special evening events which is we have to pay for

lyn

visitors were evacuated yesterday due to a fire at the larger chippy..closed for now but we can still get our fish and chips from the smaller chippy by the bridge..thankfully the fire does not sound serious..i will be going again next friday with the grandson..went a few weeks back and really enjoyed it..

Info for the above shop, formerly in Wednesbury. It would be interesting to see if stories are uncovered.

“Founded by Edith Dabbs Minett in the 1920s, E. Minett was known as the place to go for the best dressed ladies of Wednesbury. Edith started the business in the 1920s in the front room of the family home in Pound Road before opening the shop at 83 Walsall Street.…We will be recreating the shop from 83 Walsall Street, which will be set in the late 1950s, to tell the story of the post-war revolution in female fashion as well as the changing role of women in society and the 50s economic boom when people ‘never had it so good’.”

Last edited:
Spent yesterday at this museum, what amazed me is what is still to built or finished off. Army and Navy store and a Post office one side of the 60s Street, Gas showroom library and Co op the other and just around the corner a doctors. Also large boarded area called the Industrial age with three factories much more to come

Spent yesterday at this museum, what amazed me is what is still to built or finished off. Army and Navy store and a Post office one side of the 60s Street, Gas showroom library and Co op the other and just around the corner a doctors. Also large boarded area called the Industrial age with three factories much more to come
yes steve so much more to come...did you go in the red telephone box like i did the other week and listen to dial a disk :D looking forward to another visit next week..oh by the way did you notice if hobbs chippy was still closed

lyn

yes steve so much more to come...did you go in the red telephone box like i did the other week and listen to dial a disk :D looking forward to another visit next week..oh by the way did you notice if hobbs chippy was still closed

lyn
Hobbs was closed, the other chip shop opened early and at 2.30 the queue was still back to bottle and glass made the village look busy though

Hobbs was closed, the other chip shop opened early and at 2.30 the queue was still back to bottle and glass made the village look busy though
thanks steve will check on friday if hobbs as reopened...the first time i went to the bcm hobbs was not there...just the little chippy and we queued for well over an hour...worth it though :)

thanks pedro...looking at where the bridge is which is still there hobbs chippy i think is near to the left of where the crane is on the right..

lyn

Don’t think we have seen this picture from 1978 of the construction.

View attachment 183732
once again and i make no excuses

i say hang your heads in shame bcc you missed the boat..instead of using huge plots of land to build apartments and office blocks that lay empty for years (look around they are everywhere including the apartments built in perry barr for the commonwealth games..not one person has moved in) brum could have had its own outdoor museum...it would have bought a constant stream of visitors to the city for many years and educational for the kiddies not to mention much needed revenue all we have is the little back to backs in hurst st and that is national trust run....forward thinking ? they dont know the meaning of it..moan over

lyn

Back