• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birth before 1837

laraine

master brummie
Could anyone help me please or give me some idea on how to find a birth or just the volume & page numbers, on someone born in Birmingham in 1834.
Thanks

if you give us the name we might be able to find it for you. if your person happened to be christened at st. martins i have the records. :)

Mike
I went on Family Search & found it very useful, i actually found the sister of who i was looking for so thanks for the link.
Shera, the person i am looking for is Samuel Wallace(or even Wallis), i found his sister's birth & baptism records for St Martins so its possible he was christened there too. Born around 1834, his parents are Samuel & Sarah.
It would be great if you could find something.
Thanks alot
Laraine:)

sorry laraine i cant find anything for samuel wallace/wallis. what was sisters name and baptism date. there may be some info on the record i can tell you

Samuel's sister is Hannah Wallis born 5th Apr 1825, christened 4th July 1825 at St Martins.
Thanks again

ive found that record laraine and the extra info is

abode islington (probably islington row bham) fathers occ. sawyer

found another record

joseph tyne wallis son of samuel and sarah wallis b. 18.10.1822 chr. 26.12.1822 at st. martins abode inge st. sawyer.

also found a burial at st martins which fits

samuel wallis bur. 10 mar 1838 aged 40 years

forgot to add .... workhouse

Last edited:
Shera thank you so much for finding all of this out, really grateful.:) I wonder why Samuel Jnrs records can't be found its really strange as he is on the 1841 census living in Stafford St & born in Birmingham. One thing you have cleared up for me is a while ago i sent for the marriage cert of Samuel Jnr which named his father correctly as Samuel & his occupation as a LAWYER or so i thought....until i seen SAWYER on your post...here was me thinking that there was brains in the family:D
Thanks again

i did exactly the same as you laraine when i first started family history. there was me bragging to everyone that i had a "lawyer" in the family, but eventually the penny dropped and i realised it was a sawyer. bit of a come down :D

Shera is there anywhere i could find the death records for Samuel Wallis who died in 1838, if he died in the workhouse ?

ive looked at the record again just to check and it is correct that he was buried 10th march 1838 and abode was workhouse, but i cant find a death certificate.

sorry i have no idea if there are records from the workhouse.

hope someone else can help you

just found a death 1838 jan-mar in birmingham samuel "willis" ref 16 234

perhaps this is the death certificate.

Thanks for that Shera it could be possible i know that surnames do change over the years or are spelt wrongly plus the death is in the same quarter so i might take the risk & order a certificate. Thanks for your help:)

Hi Shera,
Do you have marriage records for St Martins?
Matthew.

i do matthew. just depends what year you need. let me know the names and rough date of marriage and i will have a look. nothing much in 20th century though

Hi Shera,
Well I have a date, 13 Jan 1833 Taylor to Wakefield. I need to know more details on them to confirm a match
such as witnesses, places of birth, parents. Do you know how to find these?
Many Thankyous, Matthew.

on the records before 1837 there was very little information but i will give you what there is

jacob taylor of this parish bachelor and ann wakefield of this parish spinster married by banns on 13th jan 1833 at st. martins
they signed with a cross
the witnesses were william wakefield and ann hodgkins. i hope this helps with your research

Hi Shera,
That's good enough for me, William was her brother, Ann Hodgkins married him later. You're a star!
Thanks, Matthew x

oh thats brilliant. its lucky when the witnesses are just the ones you want. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi
I know this was posted along time ago but I have only just joined and I think I can add to this family. My g-grandmother was Hannah(Annie) Wallace born 1859 who stated on her marriage to Christopher Blaney that she was the daughter of Samuel Wallace sawyer. She was the daughter of Samuel and Hannah I presumed but on her birth certifcate she has her mother as Hannah formally Tynes and Joseph as her father but that was her brother Joseph Tynes. It is all confusing.

Back