• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham's Theatres

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
It seemed that almost every corner you turned in Town you bumped into a Theatre. My favourite was The Theatre Royal in New Street, it was majic to me to watch the curtain go up. The orchestra in the pit below the stage had a sound of it's own. I saw musicals, ballet, and those wonderful pantomimes. In one the unforgetable Max Miller in his gaudy suit, and in another the long forgotten Nat Jackley who was so funny that I'm smiling as I type this.
The Alexandra, the Alex to us brummies, I discovered as a teenager working at ICI. Our Youth Club were given an allocation of tickets which we could buy for a shilling each. They were for the Tuesday night show, I suppose it was a quiet night, but it filled the theatre. The touring shows were great and there were lots of actors who in later years I saw on TV. Leslie Sands and Elspeth Grey are two I can recall.
Then there was the Rep, where every jobbing actor learned his or her trade in those days. Most of the famous ones passed through our Rep.
I saw Johnny Ray at the Hip, that was a night never to be forgotten, and Al Martino. When he sang 'I can't give you anything but love Baby' my friend Joyce yelled 'Who want's anything else', just about bringing the house down.
Lastly but not least, because he was always my favourite, Franky Vaughan, not in town, but at the Aston Hip. That would be in the mid 50's, and ten years later we were living in Cyprus and I saw him again when he came out with ENSA. I was lucky enough to sit a few seats away from him at a fund raising dinner we gave for him, he was very involved with Boys Clubs. The next time I saw him Brian took me for a mystery trip on a wedding anniversary, to a local theatre. I had no idea, and it was a lovely surprise.

Now when I was a Kid we entered some sort of school competition and went and presented a play at a theatre in town. We did Jason and the Argonauts and I was a non speaking Argo in the boat .

I thought it was the old rep But I,m not sure if it was somewhere off Five ways.

By the way we didnt win , but was a laugh anyway. I think I was about 6 or 7

theatres

What about the Windsor in Smethwick originally a cinema then an ice rink now a billiard hall. I saw many really old timers there even in the 50's amongst them Hetty King, Donald Peers,and a young chap straight out of the RAF-Max Bygraves! Didn't he do well!!

Birmingham Theatres

Colin, I'm wondering whether the venue for your school play was at Oozells Street, off Broad Street, when I was at school many moons ago we took part in competitions for Junior Schools there.

It could well be oozells st ..I know it was not far from five ways .

But I was very little at the time . I,m going to see the beautiful young mother on sunday I,ll zip down there and see what i can see.

Birmingham Theatres

Hi Colin, the Ikon Gallery is now housed in the old school in Oozells Street
where the school plays were performed, it has been transformed but still
worth a look. Another old school building or an annexe to the school used to hold a supply of theatrical costumes and props, but these were auctioned off a few years ago.

Hi
I didnt get chance to go down Oozells st .Was a bit late getting up and lunch was cooking.

I thought the Ikon gallery was dow by new st station up form the savoy hotel .. Has it moved ?

I,ve seen some entertaining and terrible exhibitions there ...

The Rep and Platform 6 Buffet, New St Station

The Rep was a wonderful place in the 1950s with, as Diana says, many famous actors.
After I started work at the Civic Centre in 1955, I often used the station buffet on Platform 6 of New Street Station. This was furthest from the main entrance in Stephenson Place, and it was twenty paces from the Rep, is you used the Other Door, which led on to the goods ramp and Station Street directly opposite the theatre. All in all, it was probably the quietest of four or five buffets on the station in those days.
As you went in off the platform you entered a large room, perhaps about 25 feet square, with a fairly high ceiling and a lower partition at rightangles to the track, roughly dividing the room into two equal parts. On your right was the counter and some small formica-topped tables and chairs. There were two openings in the partition each with with a heavy maroon curtain, and there have been a subdued sign "to restaurant".
Once you got past those curtains you were in a different world. The tables had white linen tablecloths, with a fascinating range of cutlery bearing the names of railway companies which were taken over by the new-fangled London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1922. As that side of New Street Station was previously Midland Railway, that name predominated. I think there was some old Lancashire and Yorkshire stuff there, and I distinctly remember finding some Furness Railway cutlery. They had two venerable old waiters, Tom and Harry, who wore immaculate white starched jackets.
In those days they did a good old fashioned range of set lunches for about 4/6 )nearly twice the price of the cheapest Indians) and in eveing they did a set tea for about 2/6. This is what the Rep actors enjoyed. One table was virtually reserved for them, and you would see people like Albert Finney, Jack May and Bernard Hepton almost every day.
Peter

Theatre Royal

My mother used to work at the Theatre Royal in the 1930's, her aunt ran the bar there and mom used to help her. Mom mixed with all the stars there and loved Anna Neagle and told us some tales of what used to go on there. The chorus girls died my moms hair blonde and she said she had to keep her hat on for weeks incase Grandad seen it as you were looked on as being cheap if you had peroxide hair.
I have a collection of photo's of old stars some I know other I have no idea who they are.I would like to find out about them but wouldn't have a clue where to start.
And on the subject of Frankie Vaughn my dad ran a boys club top of Manor Rd aston it was a part of Yew Tree rd school I think, Frankie came to open it.

My mother used to work at the Theatre Royal in the 1930's, her aunt ran the bar there and mom used to help her. Mom mixed with all the stars there and loved Anna Neagle and told us some tales of what used to go on there. The chorus girls died my moms hair blonde and she said she had to keep her hat on for weeks incase Grandad seen it as you were looked on as being cheap if you had peroxide hair.
I have a collection of photo's of old stars some I know other I have no idea who they are.I would like to find out about them but wouldn't have a clue where to start.
And on the subject of Frankie Vaughn my dad ran a boys club top of Manor Rd aston it was a part of Yew Tree rd school I think, Frankie came to open it.

Put them up on the Forum you will soon get answers:)

My aunt was manageress at the Alex theatre for many years, i have an autograph book full of stars signatures.

Catkin, Photo of the Auditorium of the Alexandra viewed from the stage

Thank you Cromwell, does'nt it look wonderful, standing on that stage would have left me shaking in my boots. Catkin

Catkin, Ask any Brummie where the Lyceum was and the biggest majority of folk could not tell ya….It was built by William Coutts who was a teetotaller and in order to build it borrowed £5000 from Henry Mitchell (of the Brewing family) and the rest of the money from family and friends…It opened in May 1901 and shut in 1902 and sold to Lester Collingwood who immediately changed the name to Alexandra Theatre then in 1910 he was driving a new car and had a crash with a milk cart and flung into the road killing him instantly and so the Alex then was sold to Leon Salsberg in 1911…
It was demolished in 1935 and a new Alex was built 9 months later.
In 1965 it needed over £46.000 for improvements and nearly closed down and the the city council moved in and purchased Alex for £85.000 who in 1979 did it up with grants of £156.000

Thanks for that facinating piece of history Cromwell. I love to go to the "Alex" I will look at it now in a whole different light!

Moma P I have got a great deal of research on the Birmingham Theatres so if anyone wants to know anything ....just give it a whirl

Catkin,
my father in law was general manager of the "Alex",for over 20 years during the 50's/60's.I wonder if you might have any information/photos that may be of interest to me.
See https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3287

Wendy,I have heard that tours of the theatre are available to groups ,some members may be interested in such a visit,I'll will try and make contact with them for details.

Colin

My Aunt performed in Birmingham's Theatres and Music Halls during the 1920's/30's but I have no details of which ones or when. I know she was principle boy in several pantomimes and remember her collection of costumes and theatrical make-up which we played with as children. Her stage name was Marrie Shaw. During the 50's she used to 'Direct' the village pantomime assisted by Mom and Dad. She was often visited by the 'Stars' of the day who played at the theatres of Brum and Coventry. Arthur Askey and Ted Ray were like cheerful uncles who sometimes came for afternoon tea; they were often accompanied by the 'Eye Candy' of the day: Large bosomed Sabrina or Yana. These Panto stars often stayed at the Bear which was across the road in Berkswell. I'd be interested to hear if any records mention her. I remember she was once interviewed for a radio programme about her memories on the stage, I think she was given a 'record' of her interview, these were days prior to tape recorders.

mary11cw3.jpg

I think Yana had a Knitting Shop in Walsall although I could be confusing her with someone else.
I sometimes took a jug over to the side door at the Bear to get it filled for my uncle during the Summer Holidays. I knew the area well and enjoyed my village life during the school holidays. I doubt whether I ventured further than a couple of miles from the village green but it had everything that I needed: woods, a lake, streams to dam and tiny pools hidden in fields which were full of Crusian carp which you could catch with a bent pin and one of uncle Jeff's dahlia canes. The big wood by the lake had a large Heronry and was a scary place. The Hall's game keeper had his brood area in this dark wood. He reared the game birds for the Autumn shoot and hung vermin from trees to prove his worth. If you came across one of these (Game Keeper's larders) areas of death it could put you off venturing further especially if you had an active imagination. :) Dad once said that some children had gone into these woods and had never been seen again, that tended to keep me closer to home and in the day light.

Sorry, if this has veered off topic.

Colin, that sounds great I would love to go, please keep us posted.

The Alex

Cromwell,
Thank you for that information, (none of which i was aware of)
I always love to get down to the Nitty Gritty.

Colin B, Sorry i do not have any photographs at present.

Who are these

Hi Alf said put these on and see if anyone knows anything about the artists. They are from when my mom worked at the Theatre Royal. I have loads more but they are all larger and I would have to resize them all.
The condition is not all that good as we all used to look at them when we were young and they got messed up

Apologia

On reflection i think i may have mislead the readers of this thread. My aunt was not manager overall but she did have a managerial position.
I always like to get the facts straight and if i have mislead you in any way i apologise.

Patty i have a very old theatre programme with pictures of old artistes i will look and see if i can find those faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Catkins ,
I Had A Dear Old Friend ,Whom Worked At The Alexs ,
For Many , Many Years , He Was The ELECTRICIAN For The Alexs
Right Up Til The Day He Died In The 1980,S
I BET He Knew Him , His Name Was Bill Warick,
He Was Only Four Feet Tall , Very Well Known In The thearter
World , AND Also His Wife KATIE Warick ,
Along With My Mother Whom Was A Stage Dancer In Those Days
Bill And Kate Met There And Got Married There
Kate Is Still Alive today But Sadly She,s Experiencing
Severe Bad Health Problems And Disabled Now
But Still Lives In The Same Old House ,When They Got Married
She Lives In Forth Avenue Selly Park by The Old BBC
UP UNTIL RECENTLY ALOT OF THE WELL Known Celebity,s
Lived Up And Down Those Avenues
1 st , 2nd , 3rd and forth Avenues Until The BBC CLOSED DOWN
There Is The Odd One Or Two Whom Are Still Knocking
About Around The Avenues Some Of The BBC,S
Tv Announcers , Pop Into The Selly Park Tavern ,
And You Will Catch Old Nick QWEN Having A QIUCK One
Mostly Week ends With His Wife [ Avery Attractive Lady ]

The Alex

Astonion, my aunt would have known him no doubt but he would have known my cousin better he was the gaffer at the Alex until he went to ITV.
Catkin

Sutton Town Hall

I have only lived in Sutton Coldfield for about 2 years and one building that really strikes me is Sutton Town Hall which is a relic of Sutton's municipal past. I only learned recently that it is used as a theatre venue and I just wondered if anyone knows when it was first used as a theatre? Also, has anyone been there? If so, what was/ is it like?

Thanks alot.:)

Erebus555, I have been to the Town Hall quite a bit with the WFA and do know that is was used as a theater in 1919 for entertainment for discharged and demobalized men and was used up tlll 1934 for Films and Plays like, School for Scandal, Midsummer nights Dream and The Mechant of Venice.......

I was there on Tuesday last. Its a very good venue for amateur productions. It was refurbished not long ago to a good standard.
Mike

Talking about the Theaters in Sutton jogged my memory back to a chap called Henry de Vere Stacpoole who was lodging in Jockey Rd (he died in 1951) and was a struggling writer and wrote a book called The Blue Lagoon which later when on to become a very successful film

Back