• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham's pioneering motor industry - Dallison Gearing, Universal Motor Body Builders, Flewitts

MSU

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site so hopefully this will go to my target audience! I am interested in the early motor trade especially Birmingham's contribution. Not just the big successful manufacturers like Lanchester, Wolseley, BSA and the like but the small makers. I'm currently looking at two firms: Dallison Gearing and Motor company 1911-13 and Universal Motor Body Builders 1914-16, both of whom were located at 37 Sutton Road Erdington which later became Colliers.
Any information on these or any manufacturers would be greatly appreciated.
As a side line does anyone know who/what was at the Colliers site before they moved in in early 1970's
Many Thanks

Hi and Welcome to BHF.

One of the company’s that occupied the site was Lyndhurst Engineering, a small contract tool room. They moved to Station Road Industrial Estate in Coleshill.

There was also a cycle shop that may have been called Garfields

Burman Gears was one such company I think, they made steering boxes and gearboxes, in the fifties we used to send our worn out steering boxes from the old 'sit up and beg' Fords to them for overhaul.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site so hopefully this will go to my target audience! I am interested in the early motor trade especially Birmingham's contribution.
As a side line does anyone know who/what was at the Colliers site before they moved in in early 1970's
Many Thanks
In the 1967-68 Kelly's directory, 37 Sutton rd Erdington was the Abbey Garage, (W. Bird Ltd proprs.) Motor Car Agents.
Was also there back in 1955.

Good morning everyone, I am a new member to this fantastic site, I'm hoping that this post/request arrives at the correct location. I am trying to research the history of Flewitts coachbuilders, as I have a car originally from Birmingham that was fitted with a Flewitts limousine body, I thank you in advance.

Earliest mention I can find is in 1913, Flewitts Ltd at 122 Alma Street.

There is also a mention of another premises in 1926 of 303 Broad Street. (Showroom)

Last edited:
Hi, many thanks for this information and the images, the car would relate to the latter 303 Broad Street address,as it was built in 1928 and supplied by George Heath motors as a bare chassis,prior to the body being built by them. I dare say the site of the coachbuilders has been developed now,but I'll still visit it, thanks for your help.

Thanks Eric for the information, I will have to start compiling a formal record in my car history file, I wasn't sure if the building of Flewitts still stood,in this day and age there is normally very little left in most places,due to development.

Back