• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Tramways Department in the First World War

Historynut

master brummie
I have written a book entitled 'Trams to Trenches' which is out this week priced £5 and 60 pages long. It tells the story of the men of the Tramways Department who fought and died in the First World War. There are 236 on the wonderful cenotaph in Wheelers Lane but I found a few more! I will be at Kings Heath Primary School on Saturday with copies of the book.:smug:

I got a copy yesterday

A great book to read

well done

That is really kind of you to say so Zircon. I am at Kings Heath Primary School on Saturday morning and then at the Stadium in Wheelers Lane for the Remembrance Service and will have copies of the book at both events. All proceeds go to the Royal British Legion.:adoration:

That's my pleasure

i did wonder what is referred to when it says in the book "permanent way department" ie where's that?

i may see you at colmore or if not at the stadium

regards rob

Hi Rob,
I think Permanent Way must refer to a head office department that deals with maintenance of track? It would lovely to see you. Saturday I am at Kings Heath Junior as they are having. First World War day,
Best wishes,
Doug

Yes those who are in the permanent way do look after track, overhead wiring and paving around tracks. This also is a department which applies to railways and presumably the new Metro system has a PW gang and offices.

I am of the opinion that the depot in Kyotts Lane Road would have been the main HQ for the maintenance of track and overhead in the tramway days. They had single deck cars which did rail grinding and I am sure the book mentioned here may well delve further.

Do not forget that Miller Street had a P W department a book I can recommend is "Birmingham Corporation Tramway Rolling Stock" by P W Lawson ISBN 0905103033 he was the superintendent at Kyotts Lake Tramcar Repair Works

The book is selling really well. It is just £5 with all proceeds going to the Royal British Legion. The first run has seen 1,000 copies printed by National Express and we have sold a large number of them. I want to go into a second run as the National Tramways Museum have said that they will stock them. It tells the story of the 236 men from the Birmingham Tramways Department who died in the First World War and I want as many people as possible to know there story. You can contact me on this forum if you would like a copy.

I sold 100 copies of my book in a day and a half before Christmas. I have another 100 and am in Sainsburys Kings Heath Friday Jan 2 from 10 till 6.

I was at the Head Office of BCT from 1953 until 1959 (minus a spell in the RAF for National Service) and long after both trams and trolley buses had finished, we still had a small number of employees working for the Permanent Way, though exactly what they did I have no idea. Maintenance of bus stops, etc., was handled by a different section of the Civil Engineer's Dept of which the Permanent Way was also a section.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,
As the new book is selling well National Express have said yes to the SWW book. We made need to have a chat in the future. Also as Ex-service you would be welcome to come to our Veterans Day at Swanshurst School on Monday June 29th.
Best wishes,
Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the invitation, but I live on Crete and don't very often visit the UK. Good luck with the book.

Maurice

Back