• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

Reckon so, Maurice - here is the fixed mesh lifeguard as fitted to 1895 built Bristol trams which may have been the type replaced on the Nottingham cars. Bristol later changed to automatic drop tray but kept a swing back mesh front guard to the end of their trams in 1941.

In view of its historical importance, I've made some slight adjustments to Christine's picture of the first Tyburn Road tram in 1920 (posts #503-508). The version on her website is nice and big, in case anyone else wants to further "improve" it.

(Hope you don't mind, Christine. :))

Don't mind at all Peter - I have done some work on the original (only 3x2 inches) as the indentations from the writing on the back comes through.
I will try and work on the original and if successful post a larger scan.

Christine

would anyone any pics please of trams running down great hampton row...

cheers

lyn

Hi Lyn

Great Hampton Row had only access to Miller Street Depot there was no tram route down there I think it might be difficult to find any but I keep looking.

Ray

hi ray are you thinking of newtown row...i am looking for gt hampton row pics as it shows on this map that the trams ran down it...

thanks ray...

Hi Lyn.
The onlt reference I can find for Wheeler Street & Great Hampton Row these lines was opened on the 25th Oct. 1886 and were operated by steam trams,leases ran out 1906 and services stopped.

On the 30th June 1911 Birmingham Corparation took te then disused since the withdrawal of steam trams Great Hampton Row line, I don't think it operated again.

Wheeler St to Villa Cross opened on the20th Nov 1912.

Thats all I can find.

Ray

I feel sure that in about 1950 i was taken to stand on the corner of Gt Hampton Row/Wheeler St and New John St West ,to see a tram covered in 100s of light bulbs going past.
I can't imagine what it was in aid of,but it must have been a special occasion.Moss

well i would trust your memory of the area moss...i wonder if it was around christmas time...

lyn

mossg, Was the illuminated tram created for the Coronation in 1953 or the last tram to run on that route? willey

IMGP3322.jpg
Again sorry if it already on the forum somwhere,but this is just such a great old clipping.On the reverse it says "last horse tram,Nechells,1906".

Ah, the old 78. I remember queueing with my dad at the 78 terminus at Short Heath to try and get on the last tram into town. Think I was about 5. It was full, so we had to get on the first 65 bus intead. I think that the 65 terminus was a bit lower down in Steelhouse Lane by the General, along with the 64 and 66.

Here is a link to a bit more tram info.

https://www.robertdarlaston.co.uk/Trams.htm

Back