• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham some of us always want to leave, but we don't never let go!!

lorz

proper brummie kid
:):cool:

Hi fellow Brummies, I love this site and have lots of questions, and nostalgia!!!

St Benedicts Road Infant School 1957, anyone recall Miss Quinn the headmistress or the math teacher Miss Cleesby, boy we did not like each other. she scared me. bottles of free milk and icy playgrounds like glass where we made slides?

Lyndon green with the big rubber tree plants in the foyer,and Sheldon Heath Comp, are they still there?

Small Heath Park, the paddling pool, the lake and the boats, I learned to ride a bike there. Coventry Road cresswells the shoe shop with the big teddybear, and the candyfloss machine in the sweet shop, Woolies when it was sixpence, the pawn shop at the top of Byroon Road, my school friends Pat Mcarthy with a sister called Elaine and Sheila Brannock from Tennyson Road, my mom worked at a factory situated down Malmesbury road turn off to a kind of Alleyway, they made marcasite, and jewellery mom made brooches two lovebirds, with ruby or emerald eyes, my mom's love birds disappeared over the years, if anyone has some I would love to hear. Wow we were almost safe then, to play and roam, there used to be a house in Tennyson Road which had lots or so it seemed, of incubators in the garage, we used to be scared of it, they were strange things to us, maybe from another planet.

The big house at the park end of waverley road/Tennyson, tall wall a girl there with plaits wound around each ear. The DARE I SAY THIS, the fire thingy forget the name, you broke the glass an the fireman came, not that we ever did that on a foggy night! racing our bikes down to the corner shop, swopping bikes and pat having a crash, looking in the window, at the bright lights, biscuits that came in big tins and sweets in big jars, aspro in pink strips, I ate em like sweets. The Road courtships one of my brothers and a girl opposite, hanging out the bedroom window watching the guys on their motor bikes I could go on and one childhood its not what it used to be.

HEY I nearly forgot the Lilly pond with a kind of hill where we rode our bikes over seemed like a mountain to us

Hi Lorz

Thank you for sharing your memories, your valued possessions:

It is man’s ability to remember,that sets us apart. We are the only species concerned with the past. Our memories give us voice, and bear witness to history, so that others may learn,so they may celebrate our triumphs and be warned of our failures.

There are many ways to define ourfragile existence, many ways to give it meaning. But it is our memories thatshape its purpose and give it context…. This is what separates us, what makesus human; and in the end, what we must fight to hold on to[1].

[1]Heroes. Season 2 Episode 7. Universal Studios. USA. 1997

Birmingham some of us always want to leave, but we don't never let go!!

This made me giggle when i read it. I now live in Holland. Like my sisters say to me. "You can take the girl out of Birmingham but u cant take the Birmingham out the girl"

st_bens_1956.jpg
Hey Lorz, anyone here ring a bell ?
St bens 1956

Last edited:
Back