• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Remembered

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Here are three cards in a series called Birmingham Remembered - The 50's.

The Birchfield Cinema

Attachments

• Perry Barr Birchfield Rd The Birchfield Cinema.jpg
    Perry Barr Birchfield Rd The Birchfield Cinema.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
The Barton Arms

Attachments

• Aston Barton Arms.JPG
    Aston Barton Arms.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 2
The Scott Arms Great Barr, as I knew it when I sat in the garden at the side of the pub, with a bottle of pop and bag of crisps.

Attachments

• Great Barr Scott Arms.jpg
    Great Barr Scott Arms.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1
Have not heard those two words in a long time. British Restaurant. Funy how the words alone bring back the aromas of those places. I have heard so much critical humour about them but I never minded eating there. In fact they made a jam tart desert with custard that I realy liked.
Regards.

I spent many a happy "snogging" hour in the Birchfields Di, (you may even have been one of the lucky ones) ;D we used to go there nearly every week because the guy on the ticket counter didn't bother if you looked 16 to get in to the 'horror' or 'smutty' films. Unlike th Odeon op the road, they used to have a "Commissionaire" and you couldn't get in unless you had a suit on, or at least were well dressed (which I wasn't). Next door (or close) to the British Restaurant was a bread shop in the sixties, and when I used to go to Birchfield Sec Mod, we used to go to a fish shop further down the road and get fish and chips, then go to that bread shop and buy a small crusty loaf, eat all the soft bread out of the inside and fill it with the fish and chips, plus a large bottle of 'Coke'. What a feast!!! That used to take up our 'dinner tickets' money for the week so the next day, we used to front up to the school secretary with various sob stories of losing tickets or having money stolen by bullies in order to get replacement tickets for ones we didn't have in the first place. We used to think that she was a bit thick for falling for all of these tales of woe.....but now.......I'm not so sure. Maybe she was an island of kindness in a school full of male agro.

I loved the Britsh Restaurant and I saw the first Cinemascope film there The Robe (1953) with Richard Burton. I was 17 ::)

Woman, man, Dog..Rat..Anyone really could be in that 'Club'
'One of the lucky ones' ::)

I did a bit of snogging in the Birchfields Fran, don't think I snoged you though. You'd have been in short pants...........

Di when I worked for Amal I played for Kynocks Football Team and if you remember the Bus Garage opposite the Library there was a Fish Shop and café and I used that when the British Restaurant closed, every Saturday before the a Home match, cutting through Halford Drive Playing Fields to get to ICI Sports Ground:)

Did you ever go to the dances on Saturday night at the Pavillion Alfie, I must have watched you play footie on Saturday afternoons, did we have a dance together?;)

Back