• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Pubs

ptroman

I am quite new to this ,so please be patient. I am trying to add photographs of pubs where family members were born in the 1930's. Can anyone help with: The Crown, Leopold Street. St Paul's Tavern, Ludgate Hill. White Hart, Paradise Street. The Bull, The Priory.
Or could you tell me where I might find some pictures.
Philip

ptroman, welcome to the Forum. Have no fear, there are members on here who have more knowledge than Encyclopedia Britannica. They will be more than willing to help.
jimbo

See, even before I could post my reply, the members are on the case. (I rest mine)

Last edited:
Hi ptroman
There is a White Hart Inn photo on the forum, click on the link below
The old link does not now work so a pic of the White Hart Inn Paradise street is added using edit.
whitehartinnparadisest.jpg

Last edited:
hi jimbo ;
yes if you click onto the thread you have ben told you will find a picture of it ;
and i can add to its making of the pub; it was a dark gren tiled pub ;with its wide frontage doors
and when you walk in the entrance you would have to walk down a series of steps to enter either the bars; or smoke rooms
when it rained it was a dodgy experieces but later in years they did put a huge fitted carpet to dry your feet i should say wipe your shoes before escalateing down them steps down to get to the bars ;
have a good day best wishes astonian;;

Hello,

Does anyone know of, or have any info about The Acorn, Severn Street. I think my relative lived there - Janet Toon in 1920?

Many thanks. That has taken me a long way with my research.
I just need The Bull, The Priory, Birmingham to complete my family tree.
ptroman

You may already know this, but there's a Bull's Head listed for Upper Priory in Francis White's 1849 Birmingham Directory, seems to be the most likely fit. But I don't recall ever having seen a picture or photo. Here's the extract. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360184985.349653.jpg

There was only one pub in Severn St in 1921 and that was called Grapes
The Acorn was there in 1917 but not in latter directory's

Hello,

Does anyone know of, or have any info about The Acorn, Severn Street. I think my relative lived there - Janet Toon in 1920?

can any one tell all the different names the cabin pub as used to be in priory square it is now the hairy lemon thanx

to my recollection ; its had three name changes since it was ever built but given what you have said it maks four times it as changedit name
it started off as a goodclean pub ; but likemost of the other pubs it went down hill by th rough riff raft of kids that eventual was allowed in ;
and thats down to the weak people the brewery area managers choose ; as they are under pressure by there management team to get some one in ;
and plus the fact that the brewers was appointing these unie type kidsfrom universarys to come in as managers and do not know nothink about pubs nor people
it goes for the managers as well [ licence,es ] failing to throw out these drugg dealers whom intimidate the gathers ;
the cabin its self fell short in the eightys with druggs and guns ; and stolen goods
along with the bell pub ; northfield ; and the travellers rest bristol rd south northfield ; it was in the best intrest that the ring road came but it was closed down long before that came owing to the fact again that the gather had no experiences of the game it was his second pub
after a stint at another rough pub in west heath ; where they sent him from to the west heath pub ; to the travellers where they ran rings around him ;
especialy the northfield shop lifters running a meat market on his bar tables every day of the week where they stole meat from variuos super markets and butchers up northfield ; the same crews was responible for closing down the bell for he same reaon ; so they moved to the travellers rest ; and started again ;
but yes its had that number of cjhanges since it openend ;
best wishes astonian;;

I have another request: Does anyone have a photograph or image of The Old Nelson Inn, 99, Gt. Lister Street, Birmingham (relative lived there in 1911 census)
Ptroman

Here's an extract from the "Saltly /Duddeston & Nechells Area" thread, originally posted by stars. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360614965.681053.jpg

Does anyone remember this place? Remember they had murals on the walls, in the style of Renoir. It had an interior balcony, but can't remember much else about the place. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362516394.323244.jpg

If I remember rightly it was in what, after a lot of alteration, had been the room in th eold birmingham post which held the printing presses. when it opened it was always horribly packed.

Does anyone remember this place? Remember they had murals on the walls, in the style of Renoir. It had an interior balcony, but can't remember much else about the place. Viv.

View attachment 84867
Loved it in there. every tuse & thurs night.Supposed to be in the Tavern on that dreadfull night in'74. but went here first.we usually did it the other way round,still dont know why Fate i guess !

I remember it being somewhere off New Street, but can't remember exactly. So if the premises were previously owned by the B'ham Post Mike, would it have been a road off New Street just before you reach Corporation Street? (i.e. near the B'ham Post old offices on New Street). Viv.

Pretty sure it was in Cannon Street but I have just looked at Midlands pubs and it's not listed there

Back