• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Parish Registers

Hi my name is Steve and I am a newbie to this forum: Surname interest Matthews circa 1790 St Phillips Birmingham

As outlined above I am researching the surname Matthews. Through the help of Ancestry.co.uk and the Birmingham parish registers I have traced my maternal family line back to St Phillips, Birmingham circa mid to late 1700s. Namely John Matthews bap 21 Feb 1792 to Edward and Ann and what appear to be eight siblings.

However there appear to be a number of double enteries but with different references. DRO 25/3 M135 and DRO 25 M142. I also have three of them with a third entry, DRO 36. These three have the same baptism date as transcribed in the double entries, but the fathers name is spelt different Edward in the double enteries and the abbreviation Edwd in the triple entries.

I would be be grateful if someone with some knowledge on how the registers work could explain to me why there are different reference numbers and what appear to be different registers.

Many thnks

Steve

As well as the local church's records there were the Bishop's Transcripts - essentially copies sent periodically to the Diocese so that there was also a centralised record. Perhaps this accounts for some of the duplicates?

With most of the Ancestry BMD records you get 3 pages, the original, the original Bishops Transcript and a later Bishops Transcripts because some of the earlier ones were faded, damaged or just difficult to follow.

Clarkie

Back