• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Hi Markman. When I first went to HHOA S, Stephen was in the next bed to me in the dorms. We was in clent house. Haven't seen patrick for a lot of years. Last time I saw him was in moseley. I bet you remember some of the teachers from them days, like Mr Tebbitt, Mr Powell, (who we used to call pudding), & Mr Brownsword.
All so decided to drop sum names on u,to c how good it memory is.
Teachers,miss Buckley,nurse Barrett,Mr Jones,Mr pinner,Mrs Morgan,Mr evershed,miss stains,miss Townsend,miss Crewe,Mr brownsword,Mr rabbit.
So unreal. After al these years, I have found someone who was at school with me. Miss buckley was my favourite. She helped me settle in to the school. Nurse barrett, I was not too keen on. she scared me with needles. Mr Pinner, we used to call plug. always taking the mickey out of him. Mr Brownsword was brilliant. He helped me gain confidence in the gym. My favourite class was art & craft, but just can not remember the teacher's name. Mr tebbitt was the woodworking teacher. He used to pick on a few of us, ( though mostly me). Here is another photo of me, this time with my dad by the old disused boating lake.Family photo's 4 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Pupils..there was,denneth Drysdale,aiden jordan,Sean burns,phillip horsley(scope) and his brother francis,Raymond Tilley,and brother Charlie.. Pete McGrath,tommy folan,john burchell Vincent okane,Patrick's brother,I cud go on and on..I All so have a good memory for the girls names from cropwood as well.
I to was in client dorm.
Wow. I remember most of those names. Vincent was a bit of a lad. Francis hosely used to have very long nails & always came along & scratched my face., (though never understood why). Denneth was a great kid. Unfortunately, I never mixed with any of the girls. They scared me, though that has changed now. Lol

I am one of those names mentioned in the pupils list..but I won't say who on here.
Wen I was at hhoas Mr evershed was the art teacher.he had a beard and a bad temper as I remember?

I am one of those names mentioned in the pupils list..but I won't say who on here.
Wen I was at hhoas Mr evershed was the art teacher.he had a beard and a bad temper as I remember?
I drive up to hhoas quite regularly..it hasn't changed that much..there's a few more buildings around the block area,and the hill is very overgrown with trees,but pretty much the same.
Will send u my phone numba 2morro and we can catch up propa..take care.marketman 1956.

It would be nice if we could meet up one day to chat over some of the nice times we had at HHOAS. I have started a conversation with you away from the forum, so that only you & I can see what is said.

I drive up to hhoas quite regularly..it hasn't changed that much..there's a few more buildings around the block area,and the hill is very overgrown with trees,but pretty much the same.
Will send u my phone numba 2morro and we can catch up propa..take care.marketman 1956.
That will be great marketman. I am on facebook too, so if you want, you can private message me on there. no-one else can see what we say to each other. You take care too. catch you tomorrow. I will struggle to sleep tonight as I have finally found someone who went to school with me 50 years ago. Yippeeeeeee

I vaguely remember mr evershed. If my memory serves me well, he left & we had a woman art teacher. Just can not remember her name, though she was very nice & helpful. Really loved the art classes because of her.
There is another lad I remember from HHOAS. His name was Stephen Braker. He was a prefect, & tried to get me into trouble.

A question...I went to open air school in Blackwell. Were there other such schools in Blackwell or was Cropwood the only one?
I don't recall that name being used. What I do recall is how much I disliked it. I only went there one year and after that, went to Malvern.
Dave A

A question...I went to open air school in Blackwell. Were there other such schools in Blackwell or was Cropwood the only one?
I don't recall that name being used. What I do recall is how much I disliked it. I only went there one year and after that, went to Malvern.
Dave A
Hello Dave A. I seem to remember there only being just 2 open air schools in Blackwell, (one for the girls, which was Cropwood). & the other being opposite, Hunters Hill, which was the boys school, where I went from 1965 to when I left school in 1969. I did not like it at first, as I was home sick, but got on well with the headmistress, Miss Buckley, I liked it. Though some of the teachers were not very nice, (always picking on me & a few other boys).

Hello Dave A. I seem to remember there only being just 2 open air schools in Blackwell, (one for the girls, which was Cropwood). & the other being opposite, Hunters Hill, which was the boys school, where I went from 1965 to when I left school in 1969. I did not like it at first, as I was home sick, but got on well with the headmistress, Miss Buckley, I liked it. Though some of the teachers were not very nice, (always picking on me & a few other boys).
I seem to recall it being called this...
Blackwell Convalesce Home.JPG

I have never heard of that home Dave A. I was only 11 when I started at HHOAS.
I believe we referred to them as convalescence homes and/or open air schools...I was still at junior school when I went in the late 40's early 50's. We slept in dormitories that looked more like hospitals..breakfast was the same every morning, porridge with lots of lumps...we were there for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Our mom would send parcels of goodies that were subsequently shared out to the other kids, sometimes, I found out later that I never got a look in. All in all, a lousy experience that I'd rather not have endured.
Dave A

I believe we referred to them as convalescence homes and/or open air schools...I was still at junior school when I went in the late 40's early 50's. We slept in dormitories that looked more like hospitals..breakfast was the same every morning, porridge with lots of lumps...we were there for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Our mom would send parcels of goodies that were subsequently shared out to the other kids, sometimes, I found out later that I never got a look in. All in all, a lousy experience that I'd rather not have endured.
Dave A
I know the feeling Dave A. I spent 16 months in Coleshill Royal Orthopedic Hospital before HHOAS, which was run by nuns, & they did the similar with our goodies, only they took them from us during the night then selling the items back to us. I was so,so glad to be away from that place.

Yes..that's what I wrote in post#102. The point of my post was whether I am confused as to what Cropwood is/was...was it the Convalescence home in the photo or not?
Dave A
Cropwood was an open air school, I was there in the fifties, opposite was the boys school Hunters Hill, the convalescence home was somewhere else in Blackwell.

Cropwood was an open air school, I was there in the fifties, opposite was the boys school Hunters Hill, the convalescence home was somewhere else in Blackwell.
Unfortunately, I only know of HHOAS & Cropwood, but there was the uplands in the area (not sure where though).

Unfortunately, I only know of HHOAS & Cropwood, but there was the uplands in the area (not sure where though).
Just discovered where the uplands was. It was in Greenhill, which was just around the corner from HHOAS. (just down from the post office). The Uplands closed down about 10 years ago & was under investigation by the police.

Here is a photo of Uplands.
Thank you for sharing this photo Trebor. I do recognise the photo, & have since discovered that it was in Greenhill, just down past Blackwell post office. I believe it has now closed down & was under police investigation not long ago as the head teacher was jailed for 12 years for raping schoolgirls with special needs.

Thanks for the clarification...although, honestly, I'm still a bit confused but I guess that comes with age...The only thing I'm sure about is how much I hated Blackwell. I actually went 2 more times, but it was in Malvern and was a way nicer place.
Dave A

Thanks for the clarification...although, honestly, I'm still a bit confused but I guess that comes with age...The only thing I'm sure about is how much I hated Blackwell. I actually went 2 more times, but it was in Malvern and was a way nicer place.
Dave A
Glad to help Dave. Getting confused is easily done. Especially after many years. I too have the same problem.At first, I hated HHOAS, & kept running away, but then the headmistress showed me lots of kindness, & began to like it, though the same could not be said of some of the other teachers.

Glad to help Dave. Getting confused is easily done. Especially after many years. I too have the same problem.At first, I hated HHOAS, & kept running away, but then the headmistress showed me lots of kindness, & began to like it, though the same could not be said of some of the other teachers.
Did you ever wonder what you were doing there? We would get a taxi in Newhall St, that was how we got to Blackwell or Malvern, paid for by the city...Our Doctor provided the prescription for us (inc. my brother and sister) and somehow we were whisked away to Worcs. no questions asked.
Dave A

Did you ever wonder what you were doing there? We would get a taxi in Newhall St, that was how we got to Blackwell or Malvern, paid for by the city...Our Doctor provided the prescription for us (inc. my brother and sister) and somehow we were whisked away to Worcs. no questions asked.
Dave A
Hello Dave. When I was sent to HHOAS, I did ask why, & was told it was for my health, though I never understood at the time.

[/QUOT
Hi Marketman. When I first went to HHOA S, Stephen was in the next bed to me in the dorms. We was in clent house. Haven't seen patrick for a lot of years. Last time I saw him was in moseley. I bet you remember some of the teachers from them days, like Mr Tebbitt, Mr Powell, (who we used to call pudding), & Mr Brownsword.
I can remember stephen rose having to give himself his doses of insulin in the dorm when we went for nap after lunch.

Last edited:
this was 1964ish
Hi Chrisange. I was at hunters hill from 1965 until I left school in 1969. I remember the girls from cropwood coming over for dance nights, & remember coming over to use the outdoor swimming pool before we was allowed to go into bromsgrove to the swimming baths. I also remember rosemary cottage.

I spent 4 years at Hunters Hill from 1965 to July 1969 when I left school. I hated it at first & ran away a few times, but after spending a long time talking to out head mistress (Miss Buckley), I got used to it. I was not to keen on some of the teachers though as they used to pick on me. I was not too keen on the dorms. I got into many scraps just to survive. I was glad to move up to the block near the allotment. I remember the times when the girls from Cropwood would come over to our school for the usual dance nights & occasional film nights, though I never got up to get up & dance with the girls as I was too scared. Unfortunately, I never got to know any of the girls names, though I do remember 3 of the boys names who was at hunters hill with me. I have often wondered what has happened to them. It would be great to hear from some of the pupils from hunters hill at that time. Maybe someone may know of their whereabout. Their names were : Patrick O'cane, Steven Rose & Stephen Braker. Their was one nurse who I really liked. Unfortunately, I can not remember her name,.All I remember was she was young & had blonde hair.

I was at Hunters Hill between 1966 and 68. I don't think it did me a lot of good other than allowing me to develop a certain amount of independence when young.
I remember a nurse who I think used to share a house with Miss Buckley. I always found Miss B a bit scary in her tweed suits and sensible shoes. I did like the nature walks she took us on though where she would identify flowers and trees and grasses; something new to most of us as we were mainly from the inner city. Did she have a yappy little terrier type dog?
I always thought the nurse (whose name I can't remember) was nice. She used to take the Catholic children to mass in Bromsgrove and, perhaps, supervise occasional visits from the catholic priest. Did she give some religious instruction to the Catholics as well?.
The young blond women you mention I think was called Miss Walton (Jan?) but she was more of a house matron/ house keeper than a nurse as I recall, although she did wear a nurse type uniform if my memory is correct. She worked with an older lady called Miss Hill, who was quite strict. Miss Hill had a friendly dog called Sykes and she married while I was at HH, possibly to a Midland Red bus driver. I remember Miss Walton being friendly with the boys but she would probably have been close in age to a lot of the older boys so probably had quite a lot in common.
Just writing this has brought back memories which I haven't thought about in years.
Judging from your timeline Michael we must have known each other but I am sorry to say I do not recall you.

I was at Hunters Hill between 1966 and 68. I don't think it did me a lot of good other than allowing me to develop a certain amount of independence when young.
I remember a nurse who I think used to share a house with Miss Buckley. I always found Miss B a bit scary in her tweed suits and sensible shoes. I did like the nature walks she took us on though where she would identify flowers and trees and grasses; something new to most of us as we were mainly from the inner city. Did she have a yappy little terrier type dog?
I always thought the nurse (whose name I can't remember) was nice. She used to take the Catholic children to mass in Bromsgrove and, perhaps, supervise occasional visits from the catholic priest. Did she give some religious instruction to the Catholics as well?.
The young blond women you mention I think was called Miss Walton (Jan?) but she was more of a house matron/ house keeper than a nurse as I recall, although she did wear a nurse type uniform if my memory is correct. She worked with an older lady called Miss Hill, who was quite strict. Miss Hill had a friendly dog called Sykes and she married while I was at HH, possibly to a Midland Red bus driver. I remember Miss Walton being friendly with the boys but she would probably have been close in age to a lot of the older boys so probably had quite a lot in common.
Just writing this has brought back memories which I haven't thought about in years.
Judging from your timeline Michael we must have known each other but I am sorry to say I do not recall you.
Hello Joe. The nurse you mention was nurse barratt. I never liked her, & I do believe she shared a house with miss buckley. Thank you joe for helping me remember a few more names, like miss hill (though some of the boys used to call her fanny hill),whom I did not like, due to her strickness, & the blonde woman was miss walton. I remember her coming into the showers to check on us boys & walking out really embarrassed. I really got on well with her, maybe as you say, was closer to our age group. I do remember miss hill's little dog (sykes) & miss buckley's little terrier. I also remember mr powell having a dog too. Nurse Barratt did take the catholic boys to church on a sunday. I sometimes had to go because I could not get ready to go to st katherines in time, though it was a nice change. I recall miss buckley retiring at the same time I left school. I started there in 1965 & left in 1969. Unfortunately, I can only remember a few boys names from our time at HHOAS. There are 2 photo's of me from my time at hunters hill on here. One was taken down by the old paddling pool. Names, I am terrible with, but faces I seem to remember. Hope this has helped jog your memory a little. I agree Joe, I too,I am sure our paths must have crossed whilst at HHOAS. It would be great if we could arrange to meet up & discuss our times at HHOAS. maybe jog a few more memories that we had forgotten about. I am like you Joe, I had forgotten everything about HHOAS until I joined this group, & now, seeing all the messages about HHOAS & Cropwood OAS, all the memories have come flooding back.

Last edited:
Back